Why do people go shopping on vacation?

cibumcupio

I'm female, but I really don't understand jewelry, shoes, bags, fashion, and shopping. Bags I kinda get because it's cool when there are lots of pockets. Shoes are just for wearing, and jewelry...well, I don't know what that's used for. Really don't get jewelry.

Be glad. It's a very expensive vice!

My clothing style is classic and tailored, which can get a little boring, but I've loved small, sparkly things since I was little. So did my late maternal grandmother, but it skipped my mother entirely. I love wearing beautiful things and remembering the places where I bought them.

On the subject of Customs- I've always declared everything. Antique pieces are duty-free, and the bracelet I bought I Brazil was, too, due to some treaty between Brazil and the US. I declared them anyway, and wasn't charged duty. It just feels safer that way.

You do need to look at labels carefully. I was in a shop in Dubrovnik with a lot of pretty nautical-themed plates, bowls and other household things. I was thinking of buying some and the lady next to me turned over a bowl and said, "everything is made in China!" Sure enough, it was. No, thanks.

Edited by Gloria Mundi

• 2 months later...

I didn't actually read this whole thread, but I thought I would try to answer the OP's question as to why some people go shopping while on vacation. I love shopping on vacation for a couple of reasons.

1) I live in a small town, in a low-populated state. The closest town to me with over 100,000 people is two hours away. The closest BIG city is six hours away. Thus, I can't actually do the sort of shopping I enjoy doing on any type of regular basis. Vacation is the ONLY time of year that I have a chance to visit many stores.

2) I think your husband has a valid point. I have found that even if I buy a sweater at say, Macy's (nearest one of these to me is two hours away) while on vacation, it does bring back fond memories when I wear it. Sounds dorky, but it's true.

3) I haven't traveled overseas, so I imagine the shopping experience is quite different. I would want to do it just for the experience. Our first cruise was to Alaska, when we did almost no shopping. Our upcoming cruise is to Hawaii, and we are planning on doing some shopping pre-cruise while we are there. Like I said, it's only once or twice a year that I have the option to go shopping at any place other than Wally World!

I hope this provides some insight into why some people might spend part of their vacation time shopping. On the other hand, I don't understand why people spend so much time on board the ship when it is in port, unless they've already been there. To each their own! :D

Like someone said earlier - the same question can be asked of anything. Why do you sit all day on the beach at every port and not tour the island? I mean I can see a beach every day if I want to. Why do you tour the island when you can sit all day at the beach? I've never understood the Atlantis thing in the Bahamas but for others it is the highlight of their trip.

Shopping for food? Can't you get food at home. (I'm being factious here). The whole point is - almost everything we do on a cruise can be done at home or in a different port. I would be bored silly sitting by the pool every day or all day but others feel their cruise is ruined if they can't get a chair by the pool - see the many threads of chair hogs. Some like Bingo - others wouldn't be caught dead at a Bingo game. I can't understand why people want to eat lobster on a cruise. I hate lobster and besides they can get lobster at the store at home or a local restaurant. (Again people I'm being factious). Tongue meet cheek.

It all comes down to preferences and if you want to really understand it just think about what you like to do and apply that reasoning to shopping. Everyone is different - it's what makes the world go round :D.

I shop for two reasons. First, like someone mentioned I like to see what the local culture likes and I like to buy some food item to try. I have discovered wonderful cookies and candies from places.

The second reason is to buy something for myself. I buy a Christmas ornament from each country for my tree and a clothing item for me. Everytime I wear that item I think pleasantly of the country it came from. Its not a t-shirt but I bought a slip in Venice, a skirt in Cannes, a hat in York, earrings in Dublin, etc. The little memmento is better than a book of photos for me.

I used to drive UK coach tours.

Here's a typical example:

Drove a trip into Plymouth - stacks of history & sights, Sir Francis Drake, Pilgrim Fathers, Plymouth Sound etc.

But a featureless cloned shopping centre, re-built after destruction in WW2.

Gave them a free afternoon in the city, told them when they get off the coach to

- go left to wander the historic Barbican, Pannier Market, quaint individual little shops, Plymouth Gin Distillery, Mayflower Steps, etc.

- go right for the main shopping centre, for the usual national chain stores that you'll find in any UK city centre.

Virtually all of them went to the shopping centre. :rolleyes:

But each to their own ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while. And in general too, not just for cruising. This board is pretty active so I thought I would post it here. Why do you go shopping when you are on vacation? I understand if you need to buy some gifts for people. Or you forgot to bring something and you need to go buy it. But I don't understand the shopping as an activity thing. If you have such limited time in port, why would you spend it shopping? You can shop anywhere. And often the things that you can buy are not even from that port. Like in Venice there are these glass trinkets everywhere, but they are all made in China. And even if there are things that are unique to that port, aren't there much more unique things to do there than shopping?

I was talking about this with my husband during our last cruise, and he had a theory that maybe some people see shopping as a way to remember a place. Like if you buy something, even something that you can buy anywhere, in this specific port, it will help you remember that port more when you see that item. And that will give you good memories.

Curious to see what responses people will have. :o If you are someone who does look for shopping opportunities when you travel, I would really like to hear your side.

There was a time when we were flying all over the world before we started to cruise. We would buy something unique for that area as a memory.

Now that we are limited to where we can cruise and have been to many ports quite a few times, we don't shop.

Shopping has become a recreational activity. There are shopping tours to Freeport, Maine for example; and weekly bus tours to Main Street in Westport, CT so shoppers can experience the high end of suburban shopping - even the mall on I-95 in Clinton, CT is a destination for bus tours. Some people just enjoy the experience of shopping.

This is in addition to the two standard explanations: the wish to bring back souvenirs from travels and the (sometimes mistaken) belief that true bargains can be found in far away places.

It's not that I'm shopping, but I love to look at what the locals are buying. I love to go to local grocery stores and cruise the aisles. Gotta get away from the tourist track to do it properly. I'll look at other places for things that are unique to the area that can remind me of my trip. I just don't buy in the tourist shops.

I never understood the outlet mall trips. Now, I live about 1.5 miles from an outlet mall, but I rarely go there for my shopping - too much junk and poor quality sitting in those "name brand" stores.

Edited by slidergirl

Drove a trip into Plymouth - stacks of history & sights, Sir Francis Drake, Pilgrim Fathers, Plymouth Sound etc.

Gave them a free afternoon in the city, told them when they get off the coach to

- go left to wander the historic Barbican, Pannier Market, quaint individual little shops, Plymouth Gin Distillery, Mayflower Steps, etc.

- go right for the main shopping centre, for the usual national chain stores that you'll find in any UK city centre.

But each to their own ;)

Too funny and a bit sad. We once were talking to some cruise ship passengers as our ship was pulling into Kusadasi (for a port day) and asked what they planned to do with their day. A lady quickly responded that she was going shopping. I then mentioned something about Ephesus and she responded that she could care less about old ruins and preferred newer shops. I assume she later bought some "Genuine Fake Watches."

Hank

Too funny and a bit sad. We once were talking to some cruise ship passengers as our ship was pulling into Kusadasi (for a port day) and asked what they planned to do with their day. A lady quickly responded that she was going shopping. I then mentioned something about Ephesus and she responded that she could care less about old ruins and preferred newer shops. I assume she later bought some "Genuine Fake Watches."

Hank

I get your point, of course, but the point for that lady was she was doing what interested and entertained her. Her choice of activities was just as personal and relevant to her as anyone else's. If she had a fun day, enjoyed herself and returned to the ship safely, good for her. She didn't do what was ' expected of her'...... she did what she wanted to do and really doesn't need to explain herself for doing so. IMO

It does not make her lesser or inferior...... it makes her genuine. :D

DH and I love to shop and we also enjoy touring museums and cathedrals and historical sights and beautiful architecture etc etc etc

As we have aged, we do less 'sightseeing' partly because we often repeat to places we have visited before. We havve seen the majority of the major sites in those locations that interest us.

Throughout the years, we've reached a perfect balance (for us).......

We would highlight the attractions that interested us the most throughout our trip and choose in which ports we wished to shop. DH worked ridiculous hours at home and rarely had time for shopping. Yet, he loved lovely leather belts and shoes and briefcases and ties and suits and sweaters etc etc etc

If we saw shops that we know sell the sorts of items he enjoys, we always budgeted time for him to sort through the lovely silk ties and choose some, to try on some luscious leather shoes and belts and sweaters and it was a pleasure for us to refresh his wardrobe during our travels. When he would wear those items, we had pleasure remembering purchasing them during our trip to wherever it was we visited.

There is a micro chip planted somewhere in my being that does not allow me to pass by a select few shops that I love. DH knows I could no sooner not enter that store than I could stop breathing. :D We have had hours of fun (and pleasant leisurely walking) spending pleasant hours together selecting some 'treats' for our home and closets.

I remember some 30 years later the day we found the piece of Lladro I had seen in a magazine but could not find to buy for our home. We walked by the smallest little shop in Florence and it was in the window. DH rushed into the store and proudly came out bearing the peacock blue box containing my treasured Lladro. What could possibly be wrong about that?

I remember having dinner in Caso Paco in Madrid with another couple with whom we were traveling. It was a fun evening, great vino de casa and outstanding dinner. We had such a good time and the other lady and I kept glancing at a table of four couples seated near us. Four ladies at that table were wearing the most beautiful sweaters and we were drooling for them. We knew they were locals as the staff clearly knew them. As they were leaving, my friend asked one of the ladies where she got her sweater. She smiled and quickly named the store but we barely caught the name and she was gone. We pouted. :D

Next day we were out walking and DH opened a store door for us to enter. I stared at him ..... HUH? The shopkeeper told us she was closing for lunch and I looked and saw those sweaters displayed. I raced to the table, grabbed my size in all four, didn't think of trying them on as they were closing and I prayed they would fit. THEY DID and I wore those things until they were near threadbare.

Yes, we spent considerable time in the Prado National Museum that trip seeing incredible art but we also saw GREAT sweaters!!! :D

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone they should be parasailing or at the beach rather than in a souvenir shop. Who am I to have an opinion what someone else should do? Not my business.

Edited by sail7seas

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone they should be parasailing or at the beach rather than in a souvenir shop. Who am I to have an opinion what someone else should do? Not my business.

Wonderful post, sail!

Thanks for sharing your great shopping stories and on-point explanation.

KK

I like to do all sorts of things when I'm on vacation and shopping is one of them. Not everyone is into or up to doing more adventurous excursions on cruises. Once in a while I might do a sightseeing and shopping tour. I don't always want to sit on the beach. I actually enjoy taking my time wandering around the places and having a look around the shops. I may not always buy something. I like to window shop.

But each to their own ;)

Shopping's not high on my list when I'm traveling, although I enjoy it at home. I don't mind if others choose to do it, as long as it is on their own time (as in your example here, where people were given a choice). However, I have also been on tours where guides cut visits to included sites shorts in order to lengthen shopping stops -- and this I don't think is fair.

On one memorable occasion in Israel on a land tour (where there is already too limited time to see the multitude of sites), the guide made our tour wait on the bus for 45 minutes past the scheduled departure time from a "diamond factory", all because a mother and daughter were inside shopping (and spending big bucks) but couldn't quite make up their minds. :rolleyes: As a result, our visit to a beautiful and extensive site was cut short.

Another time, in Istanbul, after a lengthy "pause" for a thinly veiled carpet sales pitch, our tour barely had time for a rushed visit to Haghia Sophia before we had to return to the ship. It was this last that totally turned me off ship tours, as it was a major disappointment to me not to see this iconic (and promised) site in daylight and not to be able to even visit the second floor to see the mosaics due to the lack of time....yet there was time for a 90 minute carpet shopping stop.

However, I have also been on tours where guides cut visits to included sites shorts in order to lengthen shopping stops -- and this I don't think is fair.

Funny you should make this comment. You get so excited over history and you explained how you would enjoy Tunis, Tunisia.... Not the stop I wanted but okay we'll deal with it. Well, we ended up taking a ship tour and OMG! They took us to this carpet place where one couple spent an extra hour buying their carpet while the rest of us stood outside waiting. I made a comment to this woman about how inconsiderate it was to keep a bus load of people waiting while two people made a purchase. It was almost comical to see her expression (she was the one!) when I said it. For the rest of the tour we were rushed. We were supposed to see belly dancing and a tea thing. Very little time left because of this couple but they wanted to provide the experience and we were very late getting back to the ship. The walk way pulled up the second we were on board and we left port.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We are independent travelers and shoppers, rarely do any ship tours.

We love to explore a port on our own, love to visit local supermarkets, street markets, fish markets, bakeries, etc.

Been cruising a number of years, often go back to ports, go back to favorite shops we have visited before, find new ones.

It is a way of enjoying locals and there way of life for a day.

Only time I was interested in really shopping was when we were in Liverpool, which is relatively near Sheffield, which is where the Sorby factory is located, which is where they make Sorby woodworking tools. I didn't because I can (and often do) purchase them at home. Also, hauling back a bunch of steel chisels would kind of put me over the 50 lb luggage limit.

Seriously, like others have already said, I think shopping is a "hobby" or pastime like any other. For example, some people would play golf at a port, even though they can play a round at home. I wouldn't, but I would go fly fishing in a heartbeat given the opportunity.

We dont shop as an activity, but if at the end of an excursion they give us "shopping time", we will peruse and buy a small local trinket (we specifically look to be sure its not made in china) to put in our cabinet. One is all we need from the cruise, then shopping is over.

• 1 month later...
Liverpool is not near Sheffield . I live near liverpool and with traffic in a week day it easily takes 3 hours - each way... No one should face the M62 on their holidays *shudders*

I based my comment on the distance. Know nothing about the traffic, but. Glad I didn't take the trip.

I think it depends what kind of shopper you are.

Clothes shopping in regular shops is a bit wierd but shopping in the little alleyways and market medinas is amazing.

You just have to know where to shop for the right things instead of touristy rubbish or things that are not authentic.

You mentioned Venice which actually has a lot to buy. You can get real murano glass from artisan shops....similarly with the masks. There is alos a wonderful market that sells local foods and crafts off the beaten track.