Why do people go shopping on vacation?

cibumcupio

We don't do the shoping thing, browse maybe. If we do buy anything it is not a shirt/T shirt that I will end up only wearing a few times, but something pertaining to the area we are visiting. I collect Ducks so look for a native duck or bird of that area. We have enough in our suitcase without adding more clothes so look for small items that can be tucked inside shoes etc.

Shopping in ports is obviously encouraged, along on board ships.

Like any other shopping situation...you have to know your prices and know what is a deal and what isn't.

Jewelry is one of the tricker items to shop for...as markups are all over the place, and finding a "great deal" is up to the buyer. We've managed a few - where upon returning...the items we bought were 1/2 the price found online and back home. In 2 cases...the items actually have proven to gone up in value and are even better deals now.

People shop for all sorts of reasons - including memories of their cruises.

We always book and excursion in every port so we see as much as possible at each port of call.

However, we also enjoy doing a little shopping from time to time. For example, when we have Cozumel as a port of call, my wife likes to buy a couple of bottles of Vanilla. She says it tastes better that vanilla she buys here.

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while. And in general too, not just for cruising. This board is pretty active so I thought I would post it here. Why do you go shopping when you are on vacation? I understand if you need to buy some gifts for people. Or you forgot to bring something and you need to go buy it. But I don't understand the shopping as an activity thing. If you have such limited time in port, why would you spend it shopping? You can shop anywhere. And often the things that you can buy are not even from that port. Like in Venice there are these glass trinkets everywhere, but they are all made in China. And even if there are things that are unique to that port, aren't there much more unique things to do there than shopping?

I was talking about this with my husband during our last cruise, and he had a theory that maybe some people see shopping as a way to remember a place. Like if you buy something, even something that you can buy anywhere, in this specific port, it will help you remember that port more when you see that item. And that will give you good memories.

Curious to see what responses people will have. :o If you are someone who does look for shopping opportunities when you travel, I would really like to hear your side.

Other than jerk seasoning, visors and misc other things we don't shop much. BUT - a couple years I was looking for spefic jewelry. So much cheaper in STT than here. Found awesome deals. but now, have enough, so we spend all our time at the beaches.

?...I try to find a normal supermarket to see how people there actually live, eat and consume. I observe what they put in their shopping cart to see whats good and popular. Positively spying them!

I do the same thing!!! When I was in Denmark and Norway, I was obsessed with finding grocery stores in each port. I could literally spend an hour just walking up and down the aisles, looking at brands, checking out the pastries & meats, etc... and just seeing what they like to buy.

I tend to do that when traveling in the US as well. I try to find a local, non chain store in the various towns that I visit or shops that cater to specific products (I love finding cheese stores, spice stores, etc...).

I could care less about clothes and other things. Gimme food stuff all day! :)

I usually pop into a souvenir shop quickly for a refrigerator magnet, and a postcard or two if I'm in a port that's new to me. That's pretty much it on cruises now, 'cause I've already shopped 'til I dropped (a lot of money) in St. Thomas/Aruba/St. Maarten on previous cruises. I do have some nice tanzanite :D

For some trips though, I'll buy a bit more than usual. Like when I went on a land vacation to Australia. I bought some boomerangs for close friends, because they're something unique that you won't find in the U.S. I also filled about half my suitcase with Tim Tams :eek::D

I am going to stick my neck out here...I love shopping while on a cruise.

I'm not talking the refrigerator magnet or the gift for someone who is watching your house and collecting your mail.

Its the unique jewelry or article of clothing that I like to search for.

I like to find a different necklace or earrings that come with the "bragging" rights that I got it Hawaii, Alaska or the Caribbean somewhere. :D

Shopping in Hawaii to Walmart......OMG they have free shuttle buses!

Its a hoot and worth the trip!! :D :eek: :p

Spending the entire time shopping in port is such a waste of time for me, but there are some things I like. The standard Christmas ornament, a unique magnet for my large collection, a tank top for the gym, and something unique to the port such as pottery or artwork. Jamaican Blue Mt. rum & coffee will be next on the list (July 2014). I wish I had brought back guavaberry rum from St. Maarten. My favorite "souvenir" however was my diamond & tanzanite ring which was a wedding gift from my husband in St. Thomas and the white gold ankle bracelet commemorating our 1 year anniversary.

Edited by Bicster

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while. And in general too, not just for cruising. This board is pretty active so I thought I would post it here. Why do you go shopping when you are on vacation? I understand if you need to buy some gifts for people. Or you forgot to bring something and you need to go buy it. But I don't understand the shopping as an activity thing. If you have such limited time in port, why would you spend it shopping? You can shop anywhere. And often the things that you can buy are not even from that port. Like in Venice there are these glass trinkets everywhere, but they are all made in China. And even if there are things that are unique to that port, aren't there much more unique things to do there than shopping?

I was talking about this with my husband during our last cruise, and he had a theory that maybe some people see shopping as a way to remember a place. Like if you buy something, even something that you can buy anywhere, in this specific port, it will help you remember that port more when you see that item. And that will give you good memories.

Curious to see what responses people will have. :o If you are someone who does look for shopping opportunities when you travel, I would really like to hear your side.

Thats what woman do best. SHOP!!!

I usually pop into a souvenir shop quickly for a refrigerator magnet, and a postcard or two if I'm in a port that's new to me. That's pretty much it on cruises now, 'cause I've already shopped 'til I dropped (a lot of money) in St. Thomas/Aruba/St. Maarten on previous cruises. I do have some nice tanzanite :D

Oh, yeah, I always pick up postcards and then sit at a port bar just before boarding, drink the local beer and fill them out and mail them from whichever island. At which point, we race them to see how very much sooner we beat them home.

We also have a particular shop on St. Thomas where we go first thing and have our purchases sent to the ship.

I love me my tanzanite too.

And for the person who doesn't declare purchases to Customs???? You get an $800 exemption ($1600 combined for two of you). There is no reason to lie to Customs. You do not need to detail you declaration if you are under your exemption.

It's the opposite for that poster. They say they bought things when they didn't. Because the time they said they bought nothing, Customs kept asking them questions. So they say they bought something little when they didn't, so they don't have $0 on the form.

Have a collection of small local water colors from various ports and keep collecting- if we see something reasonable. These are light (no frame, just mat) and easy to carry- and such good mementos.

Loving that idea!

"Shopping" can mean so many different things! I'm sure there are people who end up buying things they could have bought at home. There are also people looking for specific things at prices much better than they could get at home. After all, people from Canada and Australia (and beyond) often go on HUGE shopping trips when in the US because the prices are so much better. On Disney message boards there are always people from abroad leaving *days* open for outlet shopping. Things they want or need, at great prices. (meanwhile, in a few months when I start buying a new, nice wardrobe for myself, I want to go OUT of the US, even though I'll spend a ton, because the items will be so much better quality!)

Then there are people looking for little, local things. Or just little things that remind them of the trip, even if they aren't really local.

The grocery store idea isn't one we necessarily would do on purpose in a "let's tour the store!" way, but it would be something natural for us to do if we ran across a store. DH travels for work, and in order to make his per diem stretch further AND keep himself healthier, he always finds local grocery stores. In that way he gets to know the area a bit more. Just yesterday he got to try vegemite, for example. Walking around, seeing the sights, shopping locally, etc...can really give you a nice feel for an area that you might not get by doing a tour.

And like someone else mentioned, you can create a goal for the day. Marginally related...before our 1/26 FOS cruise, we'll be in Florida for 3 weeks. While we're on the east coast of the state I'm going to find places that have to do with Ponce de Leon. Thought of doing that while researching San Juan, one of our ports, with DS for homeschool purposes, and finding out that he was a big part of San Juan. A theme developed, and that theme will set the tone for what we do and where we go. It's a neat way to narrow down our interests for the trip, when otherwise we might end up staring at each other wondering "what do you wanna do now?" and deciding we're too bored to do anything.:rolleyes: So for a shopper, that's a way to set the goal and theme for the day.

Edited by mollyeilis

We used to buy the crappy souvenirs. But now we buy nothing. But we lie to avoid problems in customs. The time we claimed nothing, they questioned our kids on how many times they have cruised. When they heard, they let us pass. Better to falsely claim a tshirt and some crap then to get questioned.

I only buy what we consume on the ship and in the ports.

My sister and husband bought an expensive ring on board ship. The company was out of NY and said duty would not apply. They were told to not declare. That was not good and that is not what happened. They were detained and quizzed. It was so bad they text their friends and said Declare it is easier! They did not have to pay but customs was not nice. I will always declare what I bought on the ship for sure! The ship has to report it

My shopping list contains a couple must haves:

A Christmas ornament and a t-shirt/sweatshirt from each port and ship that I don't already have one from.

Then if I find something unique like the wood carving I watched a guy do in the Nassau Straw Market, and a bullship I got in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

IMG_0038_zps5e4f31cf.jpg

Lastly, we will stop in a couple booze shops to see if what we drink is any better priced than what we pay at home. St Maarten is usually the best place to find liquor deals.

I *rarely* buy enough of anything that customs has any interest in. But, I am scrupulous about detailing everything on my form which I suspect makes their eyes glaze over. The one time I had any amount I was even vaguely concerned about... again, I detailed it on my forms, but I was coming into Bayonne, had a NJ teamster for a Red Cap who just kind of bullied everything through and past Customs.

I won't say we don't shop on vacation, because sometimes we will shop a little bit. It all depends on the amount of time left over after an excursion. We don't buy souvenir T shirts, ever, or Christmas ornaments that are "cute" with the name of a location on them. When we buy a fridge magnet, we will look for the cheesiest one we can find, we have an interesting (but small) collection. We do have some local art, watercolors, from some areas, especially if the artist is present and can sign it for us. One of our favorite souvenirs was a tube of toothpaste from Venice, Italy…of course it was gone a month or so after we returned home.

We don't buy just to buy something, we feel no obligation to buy souvenirs for family, friends or co-workers.

The last time we got off a ship with the intention of shopping for an item for a friend (they asked us to), not only did we not find what we were looking for but it was the most boring day of our whole cruise.

The whole point is, we don't go on a cruise or any vacation with the intention of shopping.

I'm another one who loves visiting grocery stores and small markets. It's fun trying to figure out, by pictures, what something is.

We aren't big shoppers, but we generally do buy one souvenier from a trip. Our rules are: 1) It is something for the house and 2) We have to know where it will go before we buy it. We look for something unique to the area.

Our last purchase was a temple horn (reproduction) from Bhutan. It is sitting on the fireplace hearth across from a half size archer from Xian.

for practical reasons, we generally don't shop til close to the end of the trip...

Edited by zone8grandma

I've bought a string hammock in Cancun for $20 -- MUCH less than I could buy it in the USA. I also bought a Mexican dress for $12 IIRC.

This year I'm buying Mexican vanilla & hot sauce to represent the ports I'm landing in. I'll also get some liquor -- NOT Kaluha since I looked in my liquor cabinet & I have THREE unopened bottles already!! I LIKE Kaluha, but not that much!

My family & I vacationed in Mexico for YEARS so I'm done with the 'touristy' shopping.

On all of my trips - so far I have been to 24 countries and of course the amount of cities multiply - I try to find a normal supermarket to see how people there actually live, eat and consume. I observe what they put in their shopping cart to see whats good and popular. Positively spying them!

I usually bring home something to taste, some dry food, like tea, coffee, bisquits, pasta etc, something that will not need to be in cold. I dont get cheap souveniers except for fridge magnet. I might need second fridge as Im running out of space on the door soon.

But food is probably not what you meant with shopping.

Sounds like me! I love visiting grocery stores in other countries! When we were in Europe we collected sweets from each country we visited to bring home for our son. He thought the candy from Montenegro was the best!

Otherwise I don't typically "shop" but if I see something that interests me I'll stop and take a look, and maybe buy.

Edited by ducklite

I wouldn't get off in a port just to shop but I will pick up a few things if they catch my eye. We've been slowly renovating our home for a number of years and I do keep an eye out for vintage style prints from places we visit as our house is art-deco and we have a huge hallway we've decorated with these striking images. The other thing i collect is byzantine style icon charms of different saints. My husband finds this funny as i'm an atheist but I have always loved the imagery and so I have a charm bracelet full of what we call the 'god dudes'.

But I must admit I don't understand going into shops you have at home or just getting off the ship to shop. But then if TV is the opiate of the masses then shopping is surely the crack cocaine :rolleyes:

I can understand why some people just keep away from their holiday is for a different reason

We do a mixture of things

We go into the grocery shops to see what they have that is unusual and local - for instance we bought reindeer in Norway

We also go in certain places for better deals and quality than we get at home - we always buy herbs, oil and cheese in italy

We also like to buy christmas baubles from where we have visited as a momento

We have also gone into grocery stores and watched watch the crew go buy, last trip they bought every tub of nesquick that was on the shelves - I find it intriguing

At the ports where we do an excursion there is almost always a shopping stop on that excursion. On the ports where we decide not to do an excursion, we will usually get off the ship to do a little shopping at the port before enjoying an empty ship.

On our last cruise I bought some handmade Mayan dolls from Belize on our excursion to Altun Ha for my DM who is into dolls and a sculpture of a Mayan Temple for my momentos shelves in my bedroom where we have a collection of momentos and picture frames with pictures from all of our travels. In Costa Maya, where because of the inclement weather our excursion was cancelled, we just did some shopping at the port. I purchased a scarf for DD, a hat and t-shirt for DH, vanilla for me, a Mayan calendar sculpture for my momentos shelf, and morracas for my 2 young nephews. In Cozumel we purchased a sculpture of the lighthouse we visited on our excursion, to go on my momentos shelves. In Roatan we went on a private tour that stopped at a local grocery store. We purchased a bottle of water for the tour and kept the 9 Honduras dollars ($.45) for DS who has always had an interest in different types of currency. In all of the ports DH purchased a shot glass to add to his collection.

This was typical for us when going on a cruise or even on land vacations. We don't go out of our way to shop unless we have no plans to do an excursion and want to get off of the ship briefly. Usually the shopping is included with our excursion. I look for small gifts for family that I know they would enjoy, vanilla (if in Mexico and I am out of it), momentos or picture frames (usually with the name of the place we are visiting on it) for my shelf, and shot glasses and t-shirts and/or hats for DH. We never spend much....but I have a lot of memories sitting on my shelf...none of which I could purchase locally, nor would they have the same meaning if I did.

Edited by Warm Breezes