Why do people go shopping on vacation?

cibumcupio

"When" we shop it is for things we can't find here close to home, like coffee from Belize.

Exactly, we don't spend a whole lot of time shopping, we usually do it after whatever excursion we've taken if there is time. We don't shop in lieu of an excursion if there isn't time. We love to buy Christmas ornaments from all the ports we sail to and we buy pins for our collection. I have filled several hats with all the pins from all the various ports we've sailed to. When I set up our Christmas tree this year...the DS was away from home at college for his first year...when he came home and saw the tree and all the ornaments...he was so happy. The DH, DS, and I sat down one night in front of the tree drinking hot chocolate and reminiscing about all the places we had cruised to, how much we enjoyed each place, and spoke about what excursions we had taken in each of the ports. It made for a lovely evening.

If people want to spend their time shopping on their cruises I say go for it. Each person should do what gives them pleasure on their vacation. Some people just want to head to a great bar and drink the day away. Some like to go to restaurants and experience the food that is unique to that port. To each his own is my motto. Whatever brings you joy...go for it!:D

Exactly, we don't spend a whole lot of time shopping, we usually do it after whatever excursion we've taken if there is time. We don't shop in lieu of an excursion if there isn't time. We love to buy Christmas ornaments from all the ports we sail to and we buy pins for our collection. I have filled several hats with all the pins from all the various ports we've sailed to. When I set up our Christmas tree this year...the DS was away from home at college for his first year...when he came home and saw the tree and all the ornaments...he was so happy. The DH, DS, and I sat down one night in front of the tree drinking hot chocolate and reminiscing about all the places we had cruised to, how much we enjoyed each place, and spoke about what excursions we had taken in each of the ports. It made for a lovely evening.

If people want to spend their time shopping on their cruises I say go for it. Each person should do what gives them pleasure on their vacation. Some people just want to head to a great bar and drink the day away. Some like to go to restaurants and experience the food that is unique to that port. To each his own is my motto. Whatever brings you joy...go for it!:D

I never understood the shopping thing either, particularly when the ports are interesting and there is so much to see. On a trip years ago to Venice, there was a young couple who did nothing but shop. When I said that my niece and I took a gondola ride, the young woman said "Everyone on the gondolas looked bored." The couple stopped at every Hard Rock Café so that they could bring back T-shirts from each country. I just don't get it!

A Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt from each country is actually a pretty cool idea, I've started keeping a travel journal, where the first pages are notes and research, the next are any drawings/notes/little paintings I might do, and then I print out a couple if photos for the end of the chapter. That's how I remember my vacations. I little things in the markers too, but just small things like magnets

We don't just go shopping in ports - but when there is time at the end of an excursion, or if none of the excursions appeal to us, we wander around some of the churches and museums, then look for some little jewellery stores. We used to buy little things (nick nacks) from every port, but after a while, it became ridiculous - seriously, what do you do with all those things? Now when we go shopping we find interesting pieces of jewellery, or loose stones to add to our collection. I love putting on the puzzle ring I got in Turkey, or a necklace from Israel, or a pair of earrings from Sevastopol . . . who knows when anyone will ever stop there again on a cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

"Once upon a time" you used to be able to get things WAY less expensive then you could at home, particularly on Caribbean cruises. Not any more. Other places, you could get stuff you couldn't get at home. Not any more. Coupled with the fact that we don't need more "stuff", we don't shop. It's always nice to bring something home for someone else so we do go to a local grocery store and get something special from where we are. We've gotten jams and jellies, mustard, condiments, olive oil, spices and coffee. (Some of those more so when you could carry them in carry-on on a plane) All relatively inexpensive and consumable as most of the folks we get something for also don't need more "stuff".

Edited by marco

I go shopping on vacation because the item or piece of clothing is a tangible memory of that place. If it goes on display in my home every time I pass it I get a reminder of that trip or that place. I do enjoy other activities as well and don't go crazy with the shopping, but I do treasure the items I have picked up overseas.

↑↑↑ THIS ↑↑↑

Locally made crafts, jewelry, clothing and decorative items interest me, and sometime it's nice to bring home a remembrance.

I believe if you have the money, the time and the interest, then you should go for it and have fun.

AHH the age old question why do women love to shop:confused: I often find myself asking this very question when I am at the mall with my wife. Now dont get me wrong the first hour or two are allright but after that its like pulling teeth.We will do a little shopping while in port why not sometimes it not what your doing but who your doing it with.And remember a happy wife is a happy life;)

Edited by dhill

I love to shop, and I know exactly why. It's the thrill of the hunt. I'm looking for the unusual, the lovely, or the perfect gift. If its on the clearance shelf, better yet! If I find it, great. If I don't, I still had fun looking for it, even if I'm not quite sure what "it" is.

A Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt from each country is actually a pretty cool idea, I've started keeping a travel journal, where the first pages are notes and research, the next are any drawings/notes/little paintings I might do, and then I print out a couple if photos for the end of the chapter. That's how I remember my vacations. I little things in the markers too, but just small things like magnets

missy428, I have a niece and some friends that collect the Hard Rock Pins, so I always try and stop and pick some up for them. Then I usually give the pins to them around Christmas time so it makes a nice treat for them. I like to travel so they have gotten the pins from all over the world for their collections, and from places that they will probably never get to. When I stop I also usually pick up a few t shirts for the kids of the girls I work with, as they seem to like those HR t-shirts better than one from the destination itself.

I truly believe in helping out the local economy, everywhere and anywhere my credit card lets me, or until my cash in pocket runs out! One of my fav experiences on last cruise was talking with local ladies in different shops in Nassau.

I can understand buying souvenirs. We get coffee cups and T's once in a while and I am always looking for wood carvings. What I never understood was buying jewelry or precious metals. With my knowledge of gems I would take home a piece of colored glass or a $500 ring that turned my finger green. Some things should be purchased from reputable stores that are close enough to home that they can be returned if there is a problem. Yet I see people lined up at Diamonds International or Paco's Jewels at nearly every port.

When we travel, we like to pick up Christmas ornaments. I get them for our DS as well, and sometimes he picks them out. When he moves out someday (he's almost 13), he will have plenty of ornaments for his tree that have memories of our travels.

I used to do the t-shirt thing, but I'm over that. Unless one just really speaks to me, I don't buy them. DH & DS do, though. However, I've moved on to jewelry - in silver. Not too pricey, but great reminders that I wear all the time. At this moment, the pendant I'm wearing is a pineapple. I bought in when we were in Hawaii this past July.

WHY do I shop on vacation? Because for some reason, DH is more okay with it then than when we're at home! Try to figure that one out!

Really why? .....:rolleyes:

On our rail trip to Churchill, Manitoba, out guide gave us an hour off to look around on our own, but suggested an interesting destination was the town's only grocery store.

You bet it was. Because we found out that to live in this town was to pay three times as much for a bag of potatoes, a box of cereal, or a carton of orange juice as the same things cost at home. How would you like that if you had a job serving tables in the local restaurant?

Grocery stores are a learning experience.

Edited by wassup4565

• 4 weeks later...

Cruise Critic Community,

I am a former Shopping Guide that worked for the contracted promo company that promotes "guaranteed" shopping on cruises to passengers.

I will answer any questions on shopping, real deals and who gets what commission on different items in the islands and onboard.

Feel free to ask,

James

I'm not sure why any of us should feel the need to explain why or what we do on our cruises. As long as it is legal, does not harm or disturb anyone else, we should all feel free to do whatever it is we wish without anyone's approval or sanction.

Sorry if this seems a bit direct but that is who I am and how I feel.

Do what you like within reason and enjoy and it's no one's need to 'understand'. I'm confused as to why anyone would even ask.

JMO ....

I plan in doing some shopping on my vacation tomorrow... On Rodeo Drive. I'm guessing it will be primarily window shopping. :)

Looking for a small piece of jewelry to remember the trip to LA??? Head over to XIV Karats. 314 S. Beverly Dr. Shopped there for years when I lived in LA - a friend turned me on to the place. Beverly Hills quality with Downtown prices.

I'm not sure why any of us should feel the need to explain why or what we do on our cruises. As long as it is legal, does not harm or disturb anyone else, we should all feel free to do whatever it is we wish without anyone's approval or sanction.

Sorry if this seems a bit direct but that is who I am and how I feel.

Do what you like within reason and enjoy and it's no one's need to 'understand'. I'm confused as to why anyone would even ask.

JMO ....

Simply so we can understand another perspective? For me I'm always curious and wanting to learn how others think and what they get from it. I don't understand why people automatically think it's an insult or putting someone down because they ask why someone does or enjoys something they do not. It's really not something personal. If it offends you or you feel it invades your privacy to much then simply don't answer the question and move on.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

Looking for a small piece of jewelry to remember the trip to LA??? Head over to XIV Karats. 314 S. Beverly Dr. Shopped there for years when I lived in LA - a friend turned me on to the place. Beverly Hills quality with Downtown prices.

I wasn't really in the market, but you never know. Thanks for the tip!