changes to the Regal Princess

senior lady

What I am saying, is that many hated the Royal without stepping foot on her.

I am surprised that you were so skeptical about the soot problem because I know you are a frequent CC poster and the reports that were coming back were reports from CC member whose points of view are well respected.

So here we have one poster who says don't worry about reported problems until you have been on the ship yourself and another poster who says since you read about the problem, you should have known it would happen.

Where did you see price drops for the Regal? I just saw that it went up $200/pp for an inside. Yes, I cruises insides because as a solo, the $200 supplement is a tough pill to swallow.

That should be a 200% single supplement. If it were only $200 I would be on more cruises per year!!! :D

Edited by Ethel5

Hi All

Lets look at the aft pool

With enough money and time anything is possible,

however what we are talking about costs lots money, and removes money making cabins,

so why do it, only reason is to to fill the ship, if by not having an aft pool Princess is having problems selling out the ship at the price they want

so if we are seeing discount prices just now to fill the ships, we will not see same low prices if an aft pool is constructed,

time, we know ships yards can preform the impossible in weeks just look at the Grand re model, but launch of Regal has been brought forward, would you want to do this if undertaking a big change,

while it is possible and they have the P&O ship plans to work to,

my guess we will see aft pool and other major changes on Royal class ship number three

will we see major changes on the Regal will believe it when Princess tells me, might just ask them tomorrow,

PS those on the Royal just now why have they not told us about the TV crew onboard or did they and I just missed it.

yours Shogun

I did receive an email prior to our Royal cruise letting me know there would be a film crew on board. They were filming the life of a cruise passenger ans cruise crew member. What they didn't tell us was that there would be a very loud and disruptive helicopter following us (taking video) for about the first hour or 2 when we left Port Everglades. The pilot was flying so low at times I thought he would hit the water.

I'm still waiting for confirmation directly from Princess on their website or via email. So far, nothing. Until then it is just rumor. We will see.

I am with you on this. Nothing is posted on the Princess web site about it. Plus after hearing directly from one of the engineers of the ship while on board her, I also find it hard to believe.

I did receive an email prior to our Royal cruise letting me know there would be a film crew on board. They were filming the life of a cruise passenger ans cruise crew member. What they didn't tell us was that there would be a very loud and disruptive helicopter following us (taking video) for about the first hour or 2 when we left Port Everglades. The pilot was flying so low at times I thought he would hit the water.

"...disruptive..." ? Many of us loved the helicopter, found it a great addition to the sail-out and didn't find it disruptive at all. Maybe you thought he would hit the water, but, as a pilot myself, I can guarantee you that HE didn't think he would hit the water. Anyone qualified to fly an MD500 as a camera ship knows what he or she is doing, and this guy knew what he was doing.

Different strokes for different folks, remember.

I've seen quite a few pictures of that space behind the lifeboats and if they do open it up, which now appears to be the case on Regal Princess, it would benefit them to make it 'one-way only' for walking. As mentioned earlier there is enough space for one person to walk, but not really for two people side by side.

As for the front part of Promenade Deck, I wonder if they will close off access before that 'ramp' is reached, and then have a doorway leading back to the interior. Also, that area forward of the lifeboats and the ramp seems to be right alongside the Princess Theater and stage/backstage areas, so I wonder if it will be closed during performances, etc.

There is a doorway from the promenade deck leading to the interior that wraps all the way around the front of ship. In don't know if this can be safely opened to passengers, as this is where the crew has access to the rope lockers, winches, anchor chains and other docking apparatus.

I am NOT saying that you don't have a right to voice an opinion. What I am saying, is that many hated the Royal without stepping foot on her. To give that as a justified opinion is unfair to those who want to cruise on her.

Some people have enough experience and education to assess product before buying it.

Sharing a competent assessment supported by ships fact is a good help for those who is interested.

My biggest concern about the RP was the lack of midship stairs, not enough elevators, and poor programming of the elevators. I hope these issues are addressed as well with REGAL PRINCESS as they are something that impacts (in a negative way) almost every passenger that sails on ROYAL PRINCESS.

I'm in the process of writing a review of my RP cruise that I disembarked from on Sunday, and I took a ton of photos of just about every area of RP. Attached here is the current crew area behind the lifeboats that I think on REGAL will be opened to passengers. There won't be much to see and the space will be narrow, but at least you will be able to walk between the extended promenade deck areas that are midship and aft without having to go inside. I don't anticipate a reconfiguration of the lifeboats as frankly it's too late for that.

I am also curious about the aft pool. I'm guessing it will be more of a shallow wading pool, similar to the "Plunge Pool" located midship on Deck 16. Any substantial aft pool would require a "well" of water that takes up valuable revenue space below the surface of the pool, and possibly create some stability issues as well. I'm guessing this new pool will be aft on Deck 17 where the current smoking deck and kids play area is located. I don't anticipate a "well" for the water taking up valuable space below where the Horizon Terrace is located, so again I'm guessing just a shallow wading pool that might look more like an above the ground pool on land.

Ernie

10938946793_f0c14f6d1c_c.jpg

Re your PS, yes the film crew was everywhere on the Royal last week. Saw them many times, general filming, interviewing passengers (watch for the guy in the kilt from the last Formal night), and following Captain Tony around on a walkabout.

Saw them in a powerboat in St Thomas buzzing around the ship for some exterior shots. I had also heard about them using helicopters, and an MD500 was circling the ship for quite a while as we left FLL, which I assumed was filming the departure, but I overheard a waiter tell a passenger that it was for "security reasons". Still, I'm pretty sure I saw the guy hanging out the door holding a video camera.

I was told that the filming is for an (ITN?) documentary which will show in the UK next summer. Does anyone know more about this, and when would copies be available for purchase in North America. Talk about an amazing holiday souvenir.

They filmed me dancing with the singer, George, who was part of the quartet on the TA. I had to sign all kinds of releases and they took my phone number, address and email address and said they would notify me when the show was going to air in The UK. I will be happy to post the info when and if I get it.

My biggest concern about the RP was the lack of midship stairs, not enough elevators, and poor programming of the elevators. I hope these issues are addressed as well with REGAL PRINCESS as they are something that impacts (in a negative way) almost every passenger that sails on ROYAL PRINCESS.

I'm in the process of writing a review of my RP cruise that I disembarked from on Sunday, and I took a ton of photos of just about every area of RP. Attached here is the current crew area behind the lifeboats that I think on REGAL will be opened to passengers. There won't be much to see and the space will be narrow, but at least you will be able to walk between the extended promenade deck areas that are midship and aft without having to go inside. I don't anticipate a reconfiguration of the lifeboats as frankly it's too late for that.

I am also curious about the aft pool. I'm guessing it will be more of a shallow wading pool, similar to the "Plunge Pool" located midship on Deck 16. Any substantial aft pool would require a "well" of water that takes up valuable revenue space below the surface of the pool, and possibly create some stability issues as well. I'm guessing this new pool will be aft on Deck 17 where the current smoking deck and kids play area is located. I don't anticipate a "well" for the water taking up valuable space below where the Horizon Terrace is located, so again I'm guessing just a shallow wading pool that might look more like an above the ground pool on land.

Ernie

10938946793_f0c14f6d1c_c.jpg

It looks good for walking if they insist on direction.No good for joggers though they could not get the speed up unless they moved very early in the morning

Well that ain't much of a promenade...

Then none at all. What do you think,one like that or none at all? At least if the weather is windy it would be a sheltered walk out of rain and wind.

Edited by kruisey

I am NOT saying that you don't have a right to voice an opinion. What I am saying, is that many hated the Royal without stepping foot on her. To give that as a justified opinion is unfair to those who want to cruise on her.

This is an unwinable point. You are essentially arguing that no one is capable of reading a blueprint or deck plan and drawing a conclusion or forming an opinion. You are also suggesting that no one is capable of reading reports and reviews written by others and forming an opinion without spending a few thousand dollars first. Why is it so difficult to understand that people can find fault with a ship that does not have a Promenade without first sailing on that ship? What do you expect?...That a person is going to board the ship and say: "I heard that this ship has no Promenade. And I've seen deck plans that show no Promenade. But I just had to pay a few thousand dollars to see for myself because I just don't believe it!" What is boarding the ship going to teach you that you didn't know already? Same holds true for other "measurables" such as the lack of an aft pool, central staircase and shrunken balconies. If these are features that are important to you, you can get a sense of what the ship is like from your mind's eye. You don't need to actually step out onto a 36 sq ft balcony to see how small it is. Take some painter's tape and mark off a 9x4 piece of your living room. That's a lot cheaper than $2,000 cruise.

When the milk carton shows an expiration date of 10 days ago, and someone else confirms that the milk is spoiled, I don't have to drink from the carton to form an opinion. I would submit that PCL was more influenced by the people who hadn't or wouldn't sail on Royal than by the opinions of those who have and will. But that is just a hunch.

Well that ain't much of a promenade...

Told ya. ;)

Ok, this is how a promenade should look. On the Ruby. How hard can it be?

The picture you posted is of a space built specifically to be used as a promenade, where as the one Ernie posted is not.

That's the difference.

They cannot modify the bulkhead and move it inward on Royal Princess to make the exterior promenade deck wider, so you have to deal with what exists. And that is basically a walking space that was not intended to be used by passengers to begin with.

The Oasis Class of ships have a similar lifeboat arrangement to ROYAL PRINCESS, but they have made better use of the limited Promenade by turning it into jogging track. Like RP, there are a few sections where it opens up and there is a direct ocean view, but unlike RP the limited promenade on the Oasis class completely encircles the ship.

The main safety purpose of this new lifeboat arrangement is faster loading and lowering of the boats. This is accomplished by placing the boats directly on the deck so they don't have to be lowered to the deck from above before being loaded by passengers.

What is interesting about the arrangement on RP is that the boats still have to be lowered before they can be boarded, as they are too high off the deck to be boarded in the stationary position. To me it seems to defeat the whole purpose from a safety perspective.

Beyond safety, there is a revenue advantage to placing the boats like this. Since they only take up a single deck, generally in front of the lounges, the ship gains an entire new deck of unobstructed, or very partially obstructed balcony cabins. I think this is the primary objective for this new lifeboat placement, as to my knowledge there is nothing in the SOLAS regulations that state the boats are required to be placed in this arrangement.

Attached is a picture I took of the OASIS promenade for reference. I don't think the REGAL promenade will be this good as there is simply not the space. It will be like the picture I posted earlier of the crew-only ROYAL promenade, but perhaps cleaned up a bit to make it look a little better for passenger use.

Ernie

7474680040_982cafbd06_c.jpg

7474675890_5a57b58bc2_c.jpg

7474677604_8f908e6345_c.jpg

Hi Ernie!

The biggest differences I see in the lifeboats of the Royal Princess and the Norwegian Breakaway, as well as the Oasis-class ships, is that on the Royal Princess the lifeboats are still deck mounted whereas on the others I mentioned they are suspended out away from the hull along the side of the ship. Is that what gives NCL the ability to build the Waterfront and RCI have the jogging track?

On the REGAL, there will be two sections of the promenade that will be quite narrow like the picture I posted earlier of the crew-only promenade on ROYAL PRINCESS. But forward of the first lifeboats, both port and starboard is actually a pretty decent looking promenade that I think has potential. Right now it also is designated as crew-only on the ROYAL PRINCESS but this area will likely also be opened up on REGAL PRINCESS. I think it's wide enough to even include some deck chairs, but it is completely open and not sheltered in any way.

So I'm guessing on REGAL there will be the current wide openings that are already available to passengers on RP both aft and midship, then two sections that will be narrow and blocked in by lifeboats, then this more forward section that will be a bit wider and completely open to the sky above and sea below.

No it's not perfect, but it will be much better than what is offered now.

Ernie

10938757526_fdf323ac61_c.jpg

Hi Ernie!

The biggest differences I see in the lifeboats of the Royal Princess and the Norwegian Breakaway, as well as the Oasis-class ships, is that on the Royal Princess the lifeboats are still deck mounted whereas on the others I mentioned they are suspended out away from the hull along the side of the ship. Is that what gives NCL the ability to build the Waterfront and RCI have the jogging track?

They are all a little different. On the Oasis Class, Carnival's Dream Class, the Breakaway Class, and NORWEGIAN EPIC, the boats truly extend completely outward from the hull and do not sit on the deck in any way. How each of these designs built the decks around the boats differs. On the Dream Class and Breakaway Class, the designers built a large promenade deck above the lifeboats but there is still a catwalk type deck running beside the boats for loading. On the Oasis Class there is a fairly substantial wrap-around promenade deck available to passengers built into the hull running beside the boats that is also used for loading the boats.

The two most similar designs to the RP lifeboat arrangement are the Solstice Class with Celebrity and MSC's Fantasia Class. On these designs the boats do sit partially on the deck, and they partially extend outward from the hull as well. Again each design is a little different in how they allow passengers access to the small deck area running beside the lifeboats. On both the Solstice and Fantasia Class the lines allow access to the entire narrow deck running beside the lifeboats. For whatever reason with RP, Princess decided not to (but have since reconsidered this decision). I believe the deck space running beside the boats on both the Solstice Class and Fantasia Class is slightly wider than what I saw on ROYAL PRINCESS, but it's still far more narrow than a traditional promenade deck.

Ernie

On the REGAL, there will be two sections of the promenade that will be quite narrow like the picture I posted earlier of the crew-only promenade on ROYAL PRINCESS. But forward of the first lifeboats, both port and starboard is actually a pretty decent looking promenade that I think has potential. Right now it also is designated as crew-only on the ROYAL PRINCESS but this area will likely also be opened up on REGAL PRINCESS. I think it's wide enough to even include some deck chairs, but it is completely open and not sheltered in any way.

So I'm guessing on REGAL there will be the current wide openings that are already available to passengers on RP both aft and midship, then two sections that will be narrow and blocked in by lifeboats, then this more forward section that will be a bit wider and completely open to the sky above and sea below.

No it's not perfect, but it will be much better than what is offered now.

Ernie

10938757526_fdf323ac61_c.jpg

I do agree even if its open I think it will still be easier to walk around if its very windy then up on top.On sea days I always like to get a fresh air walk.

The two most similar designs to the RP lifeboat arrangement are the Solstice Class with Celebrity and MSC's Fantasia Class. On these designs the boats do sit partially on the deck, and they partially extend outward from the hull as well. Again each design is a little different in how they allow passengers access to the small deck area running beside the lifeboats. On both the Solstice and Fantasia Class the lines allow access to the entire narrow deck running beside the lifeboats.

Ernie

I watched MSC Divina's inaugural arrival into Miami via the Port Miami Webcam and several times they zoomed in to the ship showing closer detail. I had not really noticed it before, but she has an unbroken string of lifeboats that all but totally block the view from the vast majority of her entire promenade deck. Even on the very aft and forward portions, which are quite small, there is the lifesaving equipment that takes up a large part of the remaining views. I had to look at her deck plans to even see if there was an exterior promenade. But it appears similar, as you said, to the Solstice-class running behind the lifeboats which are deck mounted.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/MSC_Divina_in_Malta_2.jpg

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CelebrityEquinox/C-Equinox_090731-2492_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959