Cancelled flights and missing cruise boarding

MVPinBoynton

My son and his wife are supposed to go on their first cruise tomorrow on the Reflection with us. They live in Dallas, which is currently having a winter storm which has basically stopped flights out of Dallas today. Their flight has been cancelled and we don't know if he will be able to get another flight out that arrives before the Reflection leaves port tomorrow afternoon. He is looking at all alternatives; but if he doesn't get to Miami tomorrow, can he fly to our first port, San Juan PR, and join the cruise on Monday?

We had a cruise scheduled to go to Bermuda when hurricane Irene hit the east coast. Our flight to NY was cancelled.

We DROVE through the hurricane to get to the ship. I might suggest they drive to some location where the storms aren't an issue and fly out from there.

My son and his wife are supposed to go on their first cruise tomorrow on the Reflection with us. They live in Dallas, which is currently having a winter storm which has basically stopped flights out of Dallas today. Their flight has been cancelled and we don't know if he will be able to get another flight out that arrives before the Reflection leaves port tomorrow afternoon. He is looking at all alternatives; but if he doesn't get to Miami tomorrow, can he fly to our first port, San Juan PR, and join the cruise on Monday?

Mike,

Houston is ice free. If he can drive down, I can help them get to the airport, park his car at our house if need be. If I can help out, e-mail me.

texedhou at aol dot com.

We fly out of Cleveland and snow prevented us from making the initial port one year. We were able to fly into the second port and board with ease. We notified Celebrity of the delay and they were standing at the port awaiting our arrival. They took our bags to our room and greeted us with champaigne. Check-in was quick and painless. We were at the pool in no time.

We were not happy to miss some cruise time, but Celebrity's reception helped make us forget the missed time. :)

Thank you for the replies. I am glad to see that he can get on the ship in PR if he has to. I discussed his driving to Houston with him; but at that time he thought his flight might be OK.

Ed,

Thank you so much for your offer. It is appreciated. I am concerned that if he met you and Jacqui, he might rather stay and visit with ya'll rather than going on the ship with us.:D If he gets to Houston, he would probably go straight to airport; but I will mention your generous offer.

Thank you so much for your offer. It is appreciated. I am concerned that if he met you and Jacqui, he might rather stay and visit with ya'll rather than going on the ship with us.:D If he gets to Houston, he would probably go straight to airport; but I will mention your generous offer.

No problem Mike. I do have a four wheel drive PU, so if he can't get out because of ice, let me know. I could run up to Dallas and grab them.

Yes you can board - I have had to fly to first port twice.

Notify cruise line that you are going to be miss the sailing and they will be waiting at first port for you.

If you have insurance, notify them also and keep all receipts and printout of flight issues.

Even a shortened cruise is great!

Gail

You should check with Celebrity. I think there might be a PVSA issue boarding in San Juan since it's a US Territory.

There should be a waiver due to weather. It happened last February to a whole bunch of people when we sailed on Reflection. The Captain made a point of telling everyone when we docked that a number of passengers had been stranded due to weather and were joining the ship in San Juan. They may or may not be charged the PVSA fine, but I don't think it was imposed.

The Feds have discretion to waive it in this kind of instance.

There should be a waiver due to weather. It happened last February to a whole bunch of people when we sailed on Reflection. The Captain made a point of telling everyone when we docked that a number of passengers had been stranded due to weather and were joining the ship in San Juan. They may or may not be charged the PVSA fine, but I don't think it was imposed.

The Feds have discretion to waive it in this kind of instance.

Good to know! Common sense concerning the PVSA...who would have thought such a thing existed?;)

I just heard from my son. American Airlines has rebooked him on a flight leaving later today that goes through Houston. Hopefully it isn't cancelled too.

Ed,

You are way too kind and generous to make an offer like that. I look forward to seeing you again when you cruise out of South Florida.

Good Luck to them!!!

Coming from Winnipeg Manitoba we are in the deep freeze that is our lives for the next 4 months and we are all STILL complaining and griping about it even though it happens every year... haha

Just wanted to say Texted...

You Sir, always make me smile on here. I appreciate your input on different topics and knowledge on these boards...But today, you made all of us see your kindness, compassion and willingness to help out.

Your offer goes above and beyond and you my dear are a gem because of it!!!

Many Blessings this holiday season!!!

Chass

I just heard from my son. American Airlines has rebooked him on a flight leaving later today that goes through Houston. Hopefully it isn't cancelled too.

Ed,

You are way too kind and generous to make an offer like that. I look forward to seeing you again when you cruise out of South Florida.

That is wonderful news Mike. I am so glad it worked out for y'all.

And to all of you that had all the nice comments for me, I really have y'all fooled. I am a complete jerk in person. ;)

That is wonderful news Mike. I am so glad it worked out for y'all.

And to all of you that had all the nice comments for me, I really have y'all fooled. I am a complete jerk in person. ;)

I know better; but I did know that you would expect him to bring waffles back from the cruise for you. :D

Boy, this is a great thread to read instead of those complaining posts....I know, many are legit (many Aren't!) but reading Ed's posts just made my day.

I think I'll get up tomorrow and have some waffles just to celebrate how kind and wonderful people can be

Den

You should check with Celebrity. I think there might be a PVSA issue boarding in San Juan since it's a US Territory.

Cruise ships are currently exempt from the PVSA for US Territories, so boarding in San Juan would not be a violation. Notifying Celebrity in advance is prudent (if they end up flying to San Juan to meet the ship) as Celebrity would need to arrange for the appropriate procedures to be in place for them to embark there, but it almost certainly will not pose an issue boarding in San Juan.

OP, hope your son and his wife make the cruise! :)

I hope your son makes the cruise, Mike and that you all have a wonderful time.

As for the generosity of Texed, I'm wishing we lived in Houston! Such a kind and generous offer. This is like a Merry Christmas thread compared to some that have been posted here lately.

Boy, this is a great thread to read instead of those complaining posts....I know, many are legit (many Aren't!) but reading Ed's posts just made my day.

I think I'll get up tomorrow and have some waffles just to celebrate how kind and wonderful people can be

Den

I agree, Den. Such a nice change in tone from a lot of the posts lately.

Ed, I promise to consume a waffle in your honor on my next cruise.