Elite Status: Terrible name!

Dutch Explorers

Elite is a very common title used with loyalty clubs. My wife is a Platinum Elite member with Marriott (see how I got that one in? But then again, I tells my wife that she is always elite with me). I know Best Western and IHG hotels also have elite levels. Heck, kids can get Elite status with Club Nintendo!

TBN Hubby here.

Uhhhhh. Folks, really....

It it is a for-profit company's program to for THEM to make more money by getting that money from YOU, and making you think that THEY are giving you a gift. (Lookey here, y'all! I spent 1/2 million and they gave me this great key chain and a chocolate mint! Yeaa!!!!)

Don't get me wrong, we use the internet minutes, dry-cleaning, laundry, and pressing on almost every trip and we appreciate those. The drink coupons are nice when those are offered, although we rarely attend the functions. But, to me and DW, cruising for the 'points' means you have swallowed the bait H,L, & S. If, on the other hand, you like to cruise and you find yourself in some cruise loyalty program tier that gives you benefits you like, then great.

I well remember the big deal (pins, gifts, Concierge) when we became Diamond on RCCL (because of our many cruises on =X=), only to have the program change to substantially fewer benefits after two cruises as the then coveted 'Diamond'. Still cruise on RCCL if it goes where we want when we want for the right price.

We are probably close to 'Elite Plus'. Why do I say probably? Because I got the info sent to us by =X= and saw we are still Elite at some point level and then forgot about it. Will definitely go on Celebrity again soon because it is our favorite cruise line -- all other things being equal, which they rarely are. If I want to go to Bonaire, probably not going on Celebrity. If I want to go to Colombia, probably not Celebrity... You get the idea.

BTW if you are on these boards discussing, (complaining, whining?) about your status in a cruise loyalty program you probably really are 'elite' from the standpoint of the world's population. Don't believe that? Then you have only to look beyond the pretty beaches on your next cruise. Better yet go to, say, Nicaragua and work for a couple of years (yes, I did) and see why you (we) really among the elite.

Rich people's problems?

Soap box is now closed :)

One does not have to develop an inferiority complex around a word that is here to stay.

That is really putting it backwards.

It is more "One does not have to develop a superiority complex......"

For me it would be no value at all to know what status a person has on the roll call. Maybe from you perspective it could be useful but from a perspective of a newbe cruiser this could be interpreted differently. Not to feel inferior but more off-putting.

The only negative connotation comes from those that don't quite measure up to our level of cruising expertise and they're just jealous! :rolleyes:

I hope you were joking here.

Otherwise this really illustrates a very narrow minded view. Basing cruising expertise purely on loyalty status is ridiculous.

I would favor the expertise of a person with some broader travel experience that 1 cruise line any day.

Otherwise this really illustrates a very narrow minded view. Basing cruising expertise purely on loyalty status is ridiculous.

I would favor the expertise of a person with some broader travel experience that 1 cruise line any day.

Dutch Explorer, can't you tell we are just teasing you?!?

Do I look like I'm joking to you?

alfred-e-newman.gif

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

I am on record here with my suggestions for the new levels. The level above elite should have been named 'perfect' and the top level name should have bee 'godlike'

I am elite

I am perfect

I am godlike

Celebrity just chose to ignore me:(

Do I look like I'm joking to you?

No, I think that you are quite mad.

In some countries, special status can only be achieved by birth. Status based on accomplishment by showing loyalty to a certain brand be it Elite with Princess or Celebrity or many other corporate programs. Does buying a "first class" ticket mean that the person is better than others on the same flight?. Elite on Celebrity is a name designed to identify those who have achieved a special status by coming back again and again, and they are members of a special group. It's not meant to be applied to any other activity or status in any other sphere. Once you disembark one soon finds out that status onboard means nothing.

People who achieve their status by travelling frequently on a specific carrier probably know more about their company of choice than a person "playing the field".

It's still only a name shared by nearly a third to half of other passengers on some of their ship itineraries.

Edited by ~Cruisenut~

I am on record here with my suggestions for the new levels. The level above elite should have been named 'perfect' and the top level name should have bee 'godlike'

I am elite

I am perfect

I am godlike

Celebrity just chose to ignore me:(

LOL

Could be interpreted as

I am Elite (Therefore wishing I was Elite Plus)

I am perfect (Therefore Elite Plus - Wishing I was Zenith)

I am godlike (Therefore Zenith - Tough)

;):D

Edited by PORT ROYAL

We became Elite on Celebrity after becoming 3 star on HAL and 1 cruise short of Elite on Princess. We have cruised on other lines and Celebrity calls "us" Elite (or used to), because we were better travelled than their other non-elite passengers. It's still only a name shared by nearly a third to half of other passengers on some of their ship itineraries.

I'm sure that you meant to say that it was because you had cruised more frequently on Celebrity than the non-elite passengers, not that you were "better travelled." There are many world travellers with vast experience who have never cruised, or who have never cruised on a single cruise line with the frequency required for "elite" or other status.

Hi Everyone,

Yippee. Another thread about titles, status and entitlements. Why oh why does this rile up some ?. It's just a name, and a marketing tool at that. FWIW, it certainly doesn't make me feel any better or more entitled than anyone else onboard. We're all guests of an outstanding cruise line & beautiful cruise ship, seeking an enjoyable & memorable cruise experience.

IMO, this entire topic is so completely overblown, that it's mind boggling. Does anyone else think this is all much ado about nothing ???

Sorry, I just had to say it. Happy Holidays !

I'm sure that you meant to say that it was because you had cruised more frequently on Celebrity than the non-elite passengers, not that you were "better travelled." There are many world travellers with vast experience who have never cruised, or who have never cruised on a single cruise line with the frequency required for "elite" or other status.

Mea culpa, yes I'm only referring to the cruising world, frequency rather than diversity.

There are many people who have travelled to many more diverse places than we have. However when it comes to Celebrity, Elite only means that one belongs to the group that has travelled more on Celebrity ships than those who are not elite.

However I do find that we travel better on a Celebrity cruise than travellers who decide to cruise elsewhere in the mass cruising industry.

Since this was a cruise thread, I was not thinking that I was comparing our experience with people who have never cruised and therefor have no interest in reading this thread.

Mea culpa, yes I'm only referring to the cruising world, frequency rather than diversity.

There are many people who have travelled to many more diverse places than we have. However when it comes to Celebrity, Elite only means that one belongs to the group that has travelled more on Celebrity ships than those who are not elite.

However I do find that we travel better on a Celebrity cruise than travellers who decide to cruise elsewhere in the mass cruising industry.

Since this was a cruise thread, I was not thinking that I was comparing our experience with people who have never cruised and therefor have no interest in reading this thread.

That's what I had hoped! :)

Hi Everyone,

Yippee. Another thread about titles, status and entitlements. Why oh why does this rile up some ?. It's just a name, and a marketing tool at that. FWIW, it certainly doesn't make me feel any better or more entitled than anyone else onboard. We're all guests of an outstanding cruise line & beautiful cruise ship, seeking an enjoyable & memorable cruise experience.

IMO, this entire topic is so completely overblown, that it's mind boggling. Does anyone else think this is all much ado about nothing ???

Sorry, I just had to say it. Happy Holidays !

Andy, I agree completely. I wasn't going to post here but since what you wrote are exactly my thoughts on this subject I had to post my agreement.;)

Edited by robtulipe

Who cares what certain levels or names are called or what the implication is. It is a marketing strategy. It makes some people feel more worthy, I suppose. Princess also has Elite level after 15 cruises. Not everything is semantically precise in our society. Example: Blowout Sale, Sensational Cruise, et cet

Sail with Celebrity, show loyalty, become one of their most Elite , blah blah

Is celebrity supposed to change the title from Elite to something else to spare the feelings of those who wish they wereElite but aren't yet:confused:

Is the OP suggesting sensitivity training for Execs at Celebrity?

TBN Hubby here.

Uhhhhh. Folks, really....

It it is a for-profit company's program to for THEM to make more money by getting that money from YOU, and making you think that THEY are giving you a gift. (Lookey here, y'all! I spent 1/2 million and they gave me this great key chain and a chocolate mint! Yeaa!!!!)

Don't get me wrong, we use the internet minutes, dry-cleaning, laundry, and pressing on almost every trip and we appreciate those. The drink coupons are nice when those are offered, although we rarely attend the functions. But, to me and DW, cruising for the 'points' means you have swallowed the bait H,L, & S. If, on the other hand, you like to cruise and you find yourself in some cruise loyalty program tier that gives you benefits you like, then great.

I well remember the big deal (pins, gifts, Concierge) when we became Diamond on RCCL (because of our many cruises on =X=), only to have the program change to substantially fewer benefits after two cruises as the then coveted 'Diamond'. Still cruise on RCCL if it goes where we want when we want for the right price.

We are probably close to 'Elite Plus'. Why do I say probably? Because I got the info sent to us by =X= and saw we are still Elite at some point level and then forgot about it. Will definitely go on Celebrity again soon because it is our favorite cruise line -- all other things being equal, which they rarely are. If I want to go to Bonaire, probably not going on Celebrity. If I want to go to Colombia, probably not Celebrity... You get the idea.

BTW if you are on these boards discussing, (complaining, whining?) about your status in a cruise loyalty program you probably really are 'elite' from the standpoint of the world's population. Don't believe that? Then you have only to look beyond the pretty beaches on your next cruise. Better yet go to, say, Nicaragua and work for a couple of years (yes, I did) and see why you (we) really among the elite.

Rich people's problems?

Soap box is now closed :)

I'm curious as to why you would not go to Bonaire or Cartegena, Colombia on Celebrity. I've been to Bonaire several times with Celebrity and Cartegena once. All great trips.

:eek::eek: How insulting to the hard working regular customers who are made to feel like second class customers because of that name!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

The store (Kohls) picked that title for marketing purposes to get people to spend even more... & put it on my card.. I could care less as long as I get my discounts! Many Celeb Elites work hard too to pay for their cruises...!

I will stick with Andy on this one... its all about marketing.

Edited by hcat