Chop's would $10.00 per person be an appropriate tip?

I realize that I've already paid for pre-paid gratuities for the MDR's for all of the nights of my cruise, but our last night will be in "Chop's". There will be three of us having dinner, so instead of adding an amount to the bill I'll be handed to sign after dinner's completed (for tips), should I instead, tip the waiter $10.00 per person? I don't want to "under-tip" the server.

When I cruised on Caribbean Princess last year, based on advice from CC members, I wasn't shy and actually asked for the filet entrée and also the lobster entrée. For the extra trouble, I tipped an extra $10. Remember, anything to drink other than what is complimentary in the dining room is also for an extra fee in Chops, over and above the admission. This includes bottled water.

Wife and I usually leave $20 or $30 depending on service... It is always appreciated and you will know you "wowed" them when you find thank you goodies in the stateroom

We enjoy overtipping as these folks work so hard for us and spend all of that time away from the families to make life better for those at home... I figure if we can afford to cruise we can make life a little better for the folks at the bar and in the specialty dining venues... however, to each thier own

I think we have added $10 per person and a few times $20 per person for outstanding service. I enjoy being pampered and we have definitely been pampered on our Chops experiences. It's a 'not to be missed' event for us sometimes twice in a week. : )

Of course, if my service was just OK, I probably wouldn't add any extra but our service has always been outstanding in Chops.

Have a great dinner.

:p

That's about what we usually do.

The tip is included for the meal, and 15% on the drinks, but the industry "norm" for the level of service you receive in Chops is 20%. It's difficult to estimate the value of the meal, but I've easily paid $2-300 total for dinner for 2 with drinks and wine (sometimes much more with wine) in similar settings on land...

That's about what we usually do.

The tip is included for the meal, and 15% on the drinks, but the industry "norm" for the level of service you receive in Chops is 20%. It's difficult to estimate the value of the meal, but I've easily paid $2-300 total for dinner for 2 with drinks and wine (sometimes much more with wine) in similar settings on land...

We always tip them $20 or if our daughter joins us $30!

Just my opinion, but a 33% tip ($10pp) on top of a an up-charge meal is quite a bit. Remember you've already paid for a meal in the MDR/windjammer etc and paid the automatic gratuities and then you've paid an additional $30 for Chops which again includes more gratuities.

Your charge at a specialty restaurant, such as Chops, $30, includes gratuities.

The Chops Wait Staff also receive their share of Tips from the Ship's Gratuity Pool - the Gratuity Charge you pay each day, per person (currently $12.00 for non-Suite guests).

And, any drinks that you order in any of the specialty restaurants include a 15% gratuity charge.

I would only give an extra tip to the waiter if they provided exceptional, and I mean extremely exceptional service to my table.

Note: If you dine at Izumi, you pay a $5 cover charge per person - that is your gratuity.

I realize that I've already paid for pre-paid gratuities for the MDR's for all of the nights of my cruise, but our last night will be in "Chop's". There will be three of us having dinner, so instead of adding an amount to the bill I'll be handed to sign after dinner's completed (for tips), should I instead, tip the waiter $10.00 per person? I don't want to "under-tip" the server.

My table did $10/tip per person on my last cruise. I realize that tip is included in the charge, but we got great service (similar to what we get when at Morton's). We also had the Premium Beverage Package, so got o try several different wines not available in the MDR a part of the package. That all being said, it seemed like a steal comparing the meal and experience to what we would pay going to a local steak restaurant.

It was my Mom's first time at Chop's and she admitted that it was well worth paying for (she always says why pay extra when we can go o the dining room for no extra cost. Now she is open to trying out the Chef's Table on the next cruise).

Just my opinion, but a 33% tip ($10pp) on top of a an up-charge meal is quite a bit. Remember you've already paid for a meal in the MDR/windjammer etc and paid the automatic gratuities and then you've paid an additional $30 for Chops which again includes more gratuities.

I agree with you. We usually leave $10 for the two of us for the "ordinary" level of service, which is very, very good. If our server goes above and beyond, we will leave more.

Wow if the service we got was similar to Mortons ( North Miami Branch ), I would be asking for my money back :D

I don't go as much anymore, but I've received pretty extreme service over the yeas. Once on a business trip in Texas, I was not happy with the local restaurants. Jokingly, I called up my regular Morton's in Northern Virginia and said they should open up a location where I was. They had one in the next town and sent a limo to pick me up. Got a great steak and was given a tasting of their favorite wines. Just when I thought the evening was over, the manager gave me a tour of the popular nightlife the locals typically experience. A boring business trip turned into an awesome experience and I have to give the credit to Morton's. That was just one of many good experiences that I have had over the years with Morton's.

To be honest, I lived in South Florida (Fort Lauderdale Area) and never went to Morton's down there. There were so many other choices, it didn't even occur to me to go. After hearing about your experience, I probably won't ever go to the one down there.

Every where, generally 20%. In the cruise lines specialty restaurants,depending service, which has been good, and poor on occasion, never super. I usually tip from $5 to !0 a person depending on service. With the 15% fee on everything from wine to water, I think my amount is more than enough, even maybe too much. Now that I thought about it, if it is a BOGO deal I might lean to a higher amount for the tip.

I get it that the tip is included in the upcharge, but there is something about eating at a specialty restaurant that makes me feel a small extra tip is appropriate. $10 pp on top of the $30 is very generous, but in the grand scheme of things, sounds "right".

I've not yet eaten at a specialty restaurant on Royal, but did so on my other cruises, and it's just a nicer evening than eating in the MDR - the meal is more of an event - takes longer, more personal service, better food, nicer atmosphere - $20 total for an extra tip for a party of two makes me feel good too, so it tops off the dinner for me.