Nice shorts & smart casual

Hello,

I know smart casual is the dress code for dining in MDR or any specialty restaurants. Would nice shorts for me or for DH be ok to wear at dinner time in MDR or any other specialty dining for our upcoming Caribbean cruise ?

Thank you so much :)

Edited by maggiekoolcruiser

Hello,

I know smart casual is the dress code for dining in MDR or any specialty restaurants. Would nice shorts for me or for DH be ok to wear at dinner time in MDR or any other specialty dining for our upcoming Caribbean cruise ?

Thank you so much :)

The section "For Booked Guests" on the HAL web states no shorts in the evening dining areas and I have never seen shorts in the MDR at night.

Sorry - no shorts in the main dining room or the specialty restaurants for dinner.

From HAL's site:

Is There A Dress Code?

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered on select cruises by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

I have worn shorts in the MDR. We are from Bermuda and we did the renewal of vows for our 20th anniversary. I wore my Bermuda shorts and socks blazer and tie. The Maitre D' did stop me but when I explained he let me in. A Canadian in our group wearing a Kilt was not stopped. So what is the difference between Scottish national dress and Bermudian national dress

Edited by RAYSAN11

I have worn shorts in the MDR. We are from Bermuda and we did the renewal of vows for our 20th anniversary. I wore my Bermuda shorts and socks blazer and tie. The Maitre D' did stop me but when I explained he let me in. A Canadian in our group wearing a Kilt was not stopped. So what is the difference between Scottish national dress and Bermudian national dress

While I understand your viewpoint, the simple 'language' is the difference.

No where does HAL's dress code say No Kilts (skirts) but it does say No Shorts. Handsome as the look is, neat and respectful as Bermuda shorts with blazer and tie is, a literal reading of the dress code says No Shorts.

But I am sure you knew one of us would say just this. :o

Congratulations on your Vow Renewal. I hope it was very special for you.

I saw sweatpants last week on the last night in the dining room. How lazy can one be?

Sadly there is no limit to laziness, sloppiness and no self-respect or respect for others to appear in a lovely HAL MDR for dinner dressed that way.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I am NOT saying one needs to spend a fortune on clothes but one does need to be courteous and considerate in public IMO A pair of dockers/khakis can be purchased at Marshall's, Kohl's or wherever for a very low price. Most people find them plenty comfortable. Wear a jersey with a collar and you would be dressed fine. And that would work for both men and women.

I believe all cruiselines have same rule regarding no shorts in the MDR - at the least the ones I have been on.

Well, Disney recently removed the "no shorts" phrase from their definition of cruise casual. They now just say "no tank tops or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner".

And, boy, did it cause a lot of discussion over on their forum!

Not that this has anything to do with your question, but I felt like mentioning it. We were quite surprised to see a woman in a robe and barefoot for breakfast at the Lido buffet on our last day. I'm not a picky person, but I thought that was a bit too casual. :eek:

I have longer skorts that I wear with a nice top to the main dinning room. Looks like a skirt but wears like shorts, very comfortable, no one ever say anything about them.

Wow, I haven't seen skorts in years. I used to wear them once upon a time. Are they back?

Many skorts look like a skirt from the front but not the back. Likely by the time whoever seats you in MDR realizes the rear of your garment is shorts, you are being seated. :D

Nope mine looks like a skirt in the back as well. And yes I can still find them in the stores;)

You prompted me to research. ;)

Here's definition of skort at Wiki. Most are shorts in the back but they also describe a style that has a pair of short topped by a skirt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skort

That style, likely would meet most cruise ship requirement for no 'shorts' in MDR.

Sorry Sail... not quite wrong. I have worn shorts in the MDR on more than a few days... even Cunard, Royal Viking. On Informal... not a problem either.

The 'difference' is that it is Bermudian national dress. No Bermudian would ever think to wear the shorts without knee socks or without blazer and tie. And even go for a tux... white jacket, black socks and black shorts.

I once had a problem with the Maitr'd. I flopped my passport and he immediately passed me. One Maitr'd on a Royal Viking cruise knew that a few of us coming into to dinner. He saw just one look and winked at us and he said, "You people are just trying to be difficult!"

What be more comfortable and easier to pack for a warm cruise than just a light white jacket and black shorts. It should become for new cruising!

Back on Bermudians on board..... one well known 'character' AKA Tom Slick.... Queen Elizabeth 2, Queen's Grill for formal..... full tux... but not quite.... except for no socks and one pair scruffy Docksiders. :eek:

Stephen

Does anyone even think why shorts are a problem? It even used to be at ANY time in a dining room... breakfast, luncheon or evening. The whole reason was that passengers cover lotion over their back of legs.... everything stains the fabric.

There is always a reason!

Stephen

Stephen,

Please, don't misunderstand me. I LOVE the look. It is so classic and classy. I love a gentleman dressed in his bermuda shorts, high socks, blazer and tie. Handsome!

My comment specifically applies to some snooty Maitre d', Dining Room Manager who pulled a snit. What you describe is precisely what I had in mind. :)

Edited by sail7seas