WHen you win a bottle of wine on the ship

Teris50

Was on the Golden a year ago Dec on the 14 day Hawaiian Rt sailing. Two of my friends won a bottle of champagne for various reasons and we decided to have them the last night at the Sterling Steak House. The waiter was going to charge us 15.00 a bottle and I spoke up and asked why when this was a Princess bottle. Has this happened to anyone else? Seems pretty stupid if you win a bottle that probably costs Princess 5.00, that they will then charge you a corkage fee!

If it comes from the ship there is no corkage fee. I won a bottle in a putting competition and we had it with dinner that very night. I took it to the dining room in the afternoon, they took my cabin number, put it on ice and it was nicely chilled for dinner.

They wanted to charge us a corkage fee as well, when we took our prize to the dinning room to share with the table. Told them it was their bottle we had won at a game and they then opened it for us without charge. Just thought it would be a fun thing to do, didn't think that there would be a problem.

That was just a waiter error. We have won and been gifted champagne on several occasions and the waiter has always just opened it without question.

They wanted to charge us a corkage fee as well, when we took our prize to the dinning room to share with the table. Told them it was their bottle we had won at a game and they then opened it for us without charge. Just thought it would be a fun thing to do, didn't think that there would be a problem.

Definitely an uninformed waiter, since he should have known that it was a prize just by the lablel.

Was on the Golden a year ago Dec on the 14 day Hawaiian Rt sailing. Two of my friends won a bottle of champagne for various reasons and we decided to have them the last night at the Sterling Steak House. The waiter was going to charge us 15.00 a bottle and I spoke up and asked why when this was a Princess bottle. Has this happened to anyone else? Seems pretty stupid if you win a bottle that probably costs Princess 5.00, that they will then charge you a corkage fee!

So he didn't actually charge you, right?

Sounds like just a simple mistake, no big deal. It's not like all the waiters know who won bottles.

So he didn't actually charge you, right?

Sounds like just a simple mistake, no big deal. It's not like all the waiters know who won bottles.

If it was a bottle of Korbel surely any waiter would know it's a freebie. No one actually buys that stuff do they?:D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My husband won the karaoke contest two times and we received a bottle of champagne and took to dining room with no questions asked. Someone even told us if you bring your own bottle and its the same brand that Princess has, they won't charge you--not sure about that as I have never done this

Definitely an uninformed waiter, since he should have known that it was a prize just by the lablel.

Nobody would ever buy that motor oil to bring on board for themselves, although they did have Korbel for the Princess Circle drawing (which I won for the first time ever:D. That stuff was okay)

We've won that champagne in the past and would never allow it to ruin any meal onboard. It's just terrible and an insult to whoever wins a bottle. :eek:

It is not Champagne, it is "sparkling wine."

I am surprised that Princess is not being sued by France for still calling their special event a "Champagne" fountain.

It is not Champagne, it is "sparkling wine."

I am surprised that Princess is not being sued by France for still calling their special event a "Champagne" fountain.

The champagne in question, by any other name, is still terrible. :eek:

The French have done a terrible job of protecting the name. Many California sparkling wines, Korbel for instance, call their product Champagne.

Lew

We won a couple of bottles in trivia last month on the Ruby. We brought them back to other trivias to share with our teammates. I think it was the same champagne served in the art auctions and the champagne waterfall--nothing great, but good enough for me. The bartenders in Club Fusion were very kind to supply us with champagne glasses. On some other ships we haven't had such friendly service.

We won a couple of bottles in trivia last month on the Ruby. We brought them back to other trivias to share with our teammates. I think it was the same champagne served in the art auctions and the champagne waterfall--nothing great, but good enough for me. The bartenders in Club Fusion were very kind to supply us with champagne glasses. On some other ships we haven't had such friendly service.

Yes, our trivia team did enjoy the champagne, didn't we? :D:D:D:

My husband won the karaoke contest two times and we received a bottle of champagne and took to dining room with no questions asked. Someone even told us if you bring your own bottle and its the same brand that Princess has, they won't charge you--not sure about that as I have never done this

By this do you mean, if my one bottle that I bring on board is the same brand as they sell on the ship, they won't charge me a corkage if I bring it to the dining room?

If it comes from the ship there is no corkage fee. I won a bottle in a putting competition and we had it with dinner that very night. I took it to the dining room in the afternoon, they took my cabin number, put it on ice and it was nicely chilled for dinner.

This is an excellent idea. Then there won't even be any question about corkage come dinner time.

Our trivia team won a bottle and we decided to drink it right there in the Wheelhouse after the game. The waiter brought us a chilled bottle when he served us. :)

By this do you mean, if my one bottle that I bring on board is the same brand as they sell on the ship, they won't charge me a corkage if I bring it to the dining room?

This is an excellent idea. Then there won't even be any question about corkage come dinner time.

Our trivia team won a bottle and we decided to drink it right there in the Wheelhouse after the game. The waiter brought us a chilled bottle when he served us. :)

I would expect no less. I can't imagine them serving you a warm bottle of "champagne". It just doesn't seem like Princess to me.

We've won that champagne in the past and would never allow it to ruin any meal onboard. It's just terrible and an insult to whoever wins a bottle. :eek:

Just my humble opinion...

Lew

Funny! True too! :D

Anytime we've won a bottle of "champagne" we've given it away as quickly as possible. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~