Tables in Main Dining Room-Forced to sit with other people?

ms7136a

Good Morning,

I hope someone can help me. Does Royal Caribbean offer smaller tables in the MDR? The last time I sailed RCI, we were still sans child, and set placed at a table for 10. On other cruise lines, especially since we have sailed with child, we have sat at tables for 4. Are most tables in MDR round tables for 10/12 or is it possible to get a smaller (not table for 2) table?

Thanks.

Good Morning,

I hope someone can help me. Does Royal Caribbean offer smaller tables in the MDR? The last time I sailed RCI, we were still sans child, and set placed at a table for 10. On other cruise lines, especially since we have sailed with child, we have sat at tables for 4. Are most tables in MDR round tables for 10/12 or is it possible to get a smaller (not table for 2) table?

Thanks.

Royal has tables sizes of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 people. You can contact whoever booked your cruise and ask them to specify your table size preference.

If you do MTD instead of traditional seating, they will seat only your party at a table, just like in a restaurant. But, you can request the size table for traditional seating.

Don't think that is true. We sat with other people with MTD. If you ask they will seat you alone but if you don't you will be seated with others.

If you do MTD instead of traditional seating, they will seat only your party at a table, just like in a restaurant. But, you can request the size table for traditional seating.
Depends on the ship which you are sailing on.

Last Oct on Splendour, despite making standing reservations prior to sailing and specifically selecting the option that we wish to dine by ourselves, the dining room host insisted we had to share. The only way around it on Splendour was to change our standing reservation to the last available time for MTD of 9pm.

You can request to be seated alone in the main dining room for all meals. I don't like eating with strangers, especially at breakfast when I'm half asleep and hungover.

Now, for dinner it may not happen but you have a better chance if doing MTD. And there's always the WJ or specialty restaurants.

Edited by Mapleleafforever

Now! RCCL has really improved on the tables for 2. "Thank you RCCL."

They have an abundance of tables for two in MTD and I have read that this was their intention because so many are requesting a table for 2, You almost have to make sure they hear you say "I would like a table for 2 ONLY. Please."

We prefer to sit at a table of two. When you enter the dining room and you tell them table for two.......they will try their best to act like they didn't hear you and pass the Menus to someone else and say two. Funny!!! My partner doesn't put up with it. If they take us to a table with others he will continue to say in front of the people ...(embarrassing for all but....) "I said table for two!" He will not let them force him into a large table. We have never accepted it. If they say they do not have a table for two we say...."What time will you have one?" and we will wait.

However: The first thing we do when we board is go to the dining room.....it usually opens around 1PM and make it clear what table we want and what time. This after requesting the time and a table for 2 online before the cruise. We are never late for our dinner time and if we are not going to be there we let them know. We also tip the Hostess at close of cruise for taking care of us.

The more accurate statement is, they will try to. It's based on availability. As the others said, it is not guaranteed.

They have an abundance of tables for two in MTD and I have read that this was their intention because so many are requesting a table for 2.

You are correct. On most ships, many 4 top tables were split apart into two 2 tops. It accomodates more parties of 2. Although, in many cases, the tables are so close to one another, it might as well be 1 table. :rolleyes:

If you use MTD, you may to ask to be seated however you want, and they will try to accomdate you. The more flexible you are, usually the quicker you will have a seat. If you are in a hurry, then tell them you are willing to share.

NOT SO. if you walk in without a reservation you may be asked or automatically seated at table with other patrons walking in at the same time.

furthermore even on MTD you can request to be seated at a large table with others.

regardless of which Dining option you have you can always request to be seated with no others and they will give you a table that closest meets that need. if you are a party of two you will not be seated at a 4 top, just a 2 top. if you are a party of three, you get the 4 top.

Not always true. We have been asked if we would share at MTD and had a nice couple join us.

Over the years on 13 cruises we have run into the problem of sitting with others that were just not right for us. DW, DH and DS. Every time the MDR made arrangements to move us; sometimes ot took on to two days. RCCL does not want unhappy diners because if you are unhappy with the table arrangements; you are more than likely to leave a smaller tip to the wait staff.

I will never forget the cruise where I, a solo traveler, was placed at a table for four with a newlywed couple. They gazed into each others eyes, as I observed. Needless to say, I did not sit with them again as I did not want to ruin their romance more than I already had.

I don't like eating with strangers, especially at breakfast when I'm half asleep and hungover.

I hear ya. I also don't like having to totally mind my "Ps & Qs" while engaging

in deep conversation while I'm trying to figure out the multiple fork situation presented in from of me.

Too much stress.

Table for two, please!

Good Morning,

Thanks.

I'm not sure from your post if you are sailing with or without child.

Last year we sailed with 2 boys, we got a great table for 4 (traditional.) The boys came about half the time so we often had a nice big table for 2! I think that's another advantage of traditional and it's another reason after 14 cruises that we've gone back to traditional.

I'm not at all sure, but I think if you've got kids, especially younger ones, they are more likely to give you your own table. When it comes to my boys, if we didn't have our own table the first night we probably would the second! (they're both very polite and well behaved but they talk ALOT, especially the older, and strangers don't slow them down one bit.)

Email rcldining@rccl.com about three weeks before your cruise to request a table for two. When I've done that in the past I got an email back from the restaurant coordinator on the ship confirming my table size and number about a week before the cruise.

Thank you so much for the email address! I searched for this on this forum, because I thought someone has previously posted, but for whatever reason, could not find it. My husband and I are going on our honeymoon on the Indy in a couple weeks and I wanted to request a table for two. Much appreciated!

Email rcldining@rccl.com about three weeks before your cruise to request a table for two. When I've done that in the past I got an email back from the restaurant coordinator on the ship confirming my table size and number about a week before the cruise.

I have done this in the past and it works like a charm.

When you send in the email include --

Your name and companions name; the ship your are sailing on and the dates along with your confirmation/reservation number.

Since we are C&A members, I also put our C&A member numbers in the email as well -- it never hurts.

We have always been given the dining room accommodations we want, like this.

We are sailing with a 5 year old. This will be his fifth cruise, but first on RCI. We have never had a problem with with Carnival or HAL, but each line has it's own policies for the MDR. I contacted my TA and they are trying to corrdinate. That said, I completely forgot about this beforehand, and we are sailing this coming Tuesday, so it is not at all a guarantee that this will happen.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

In the last few cruises I've requested table for 2 because of past problems with table mates or lack of, and location. Send your request to:

KTruscello@rccl.com

Her full first name is Kathleen (Kat) and she's the Restaurant Operations Administrator. She is very good and will respond to your within a few days. Request cannot be made more than 50 days prior to your cruise.

In your request make sure you have the reservation ID, start day of cruise, vessel name and your C&A #.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise,

We have requested tables for 2 and sometimes had it honored, sometimes not. We have a had our own family table for 6 with DS 2 and shared a large table when DS was 1. I don't see any patterns to what exactly gets your preferred choice other than C&A status. We have been fortunate to meet interesting and polite people as tablemates and make the best of it. One couple had a large suite which they showed us! On our honeymoon with a table for 2, we spent more time talking to the family next to us with teenagers about their daily activities. Like the OP said, there are other dining options if you just can't stand your tablemates!

Royal has tables sizes of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 people. You can contact whoever booked your cruise and ask them to specify your table size preference.

So if I am sailing with a party of 5, are we most likely to be sat at a table for 6 with an empty seat or merged with another large party at a much larger table? I really prefer to sit with just our party. Thanks!

So if I am sailing with a party of 5, are we most likely to be sat at a table for 6 with an empty seat or merged with another large party at a much larger table? I really prefer to sit with just our party. Thanks!

You can't really predict what they will do. We had a party of 9 once and they put us at a table for 10 with another couple. Yes, we had to squeeze together to fit 11 people at a table for 10.

I suggest you email rcldining@rccl.com a few weeks before the cruise and make your request. They will need first and last names, stateroom numbers, and booking numbers of all guests in your party.