Queen Elizabeth Sailaway Port Everglades, January 21, 2013

rafinmd

This represents a bit of an "invasion" from the Holland America forum. A number of us are devotees of watching ships sail away from Port Everglades on the webcam there:

http://portevergladeswebcam.com

A tradition there, popular with local residents, is that cruise ships leaving the port put on a display of their horns as they leave the channel. It doesn't usually happen with late departure, but Queen Victoria put on an very nice show leaving earlier in the month and we hope Lizzie will do the same. The webcam has sound which is normally harbor radio traffic, but there are microphones at the camera location which will catch ship horns as they sail out the channel.

World Cruiser Scrapnana is one of the sailaway gang and has requested a wave, so if conditions permit the camera will be pointed in her direction as the ship passes. We will all be watching for her.

Official departure is 21:00 Eastern time but the port schedule shows 20:30. I know it's very late for people in the UK, but we hope some Cunard addicts will join us here.

Roy

Thanks, Roy. I am in a time zone where I can watch the departure and had planned to do just that. Also, as always, I will be following your unique and extensive trips coming up. Will you advise us here on the Cunard board how to connect with your blog?

Patti

Trying to put a picture here...can anyone give me instructions please?

Just click on the link in the first post for the Port Everglades webcam. At sailing time we will all be here on this thread, watching and listening to the webcam.

Have the webcam open on one tab, and this thread open on another, and you're all set to go!

Edited by startwin

This represents a bit of an "invasion" from the Holland America forum. A number of us are devotees of watching ships sail away from Port Everglades on the webcam there:

http://portevergladeswebcam.com

A tradition there, popular with local residents, is that cruise ships leaving the port put on a display of their horns as they leave the channel. It doesn't usually happen with late departure, but Queen Victoria put on an very nice show leaving earlier in the month and we hope Lizzie will do the same. The webcam has sound which is normally harbor radio traffic, but there are microphones at the camera location which will catch ship horns as they sail out the channel.

World Cruiser Scrapnana is one of the sailaway gang and has requested a wave, so if conditions permit the camera will be pointed in her direction as the ship passes. We will all be watching for her.

Official departure is 21:00 Eastern time but the port schedule shows 20:30. I know it's very late for people in the UK, but we hope some Cunard addicts will join us here.

Roy

Thanks for the info Roy.

BTW, I just saw a cable news report about the current storm resulting in many flights being cancelled or delayed. Perhaps it wouldn't be surprising if sailaway time was delayed if a significant number of passenger's flights are effected.

Best wishes to all concerned. Bon voyage! -S.

Thanks Roy, for starting this thread.

Right now I am sitting in a Panera on 17th Street in nice, warm FLLL. I am enjoying the free wi-fi and the quick speed. I hope to upload a number of pictures to my blog that I have been unable to do onboard.

I am enjoying seeing Port Everglades in person (the last time I was here was 1962!) and not just on the webcam.

Kathi

Trying to put a picture here...can anyone give me instructions please? Sorry...figured it out ...kind of.

You've done about as well as you can within Cruise Critic. The big pictures people show are posted on an outside site like flicker with a link to the image. You can make an attached file a little better by clicking on the little paper clip icon like this:

attach.jpg.f2fba345487d6eb45538344f742fbf8a.jpg

but it's only a modest improvement. If you click on the little blurb above it will become a little bit clearer.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Thanks Roy, for starting this thread.

Right now I am sitting in a Panera on 17th Street in nice, warm FLLL. I am enjoying the free wi-fi and the quick speed. I hope to upload a number of pictures to my blog that I have been unable to do onboard.

I am enjoying seeing Port Everglades in person (the last time I was here was 1962!) and not just on the webcam.

Kathi

Welcome, Kathi. I stopped at the same Panera between my Symphony and Prinsendam cruises and remember it well. I have a special soft spot in my heart for Panera ever since superstorn Sandy.

I don't think there's much really nice weather on the East Coast anywhere. We now have several inches of snow in Baltimore, the Northeast is a mess, and the Key West webcam looks really nasty. I haven't seen rain if Fort Lauderdale, but it doesn't look very nice either. Salacia, with QE's already late sailaway, I would hope air delays would be sorted out in time to allow a pretty prompt sailaway.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Good thing the Queen is not in NY today....15 degrees and heavy snow!

Your post got me to thinking, the Grandeur of the Seas is in Baltimore today. They do muster drill on deck, and we have several inches of fresh snow. Brrrrrr.

Roy

In my adult life, I've only ever sailed Cunard and Holland America. I must say, I think a dark hull looks more like a "real" ship than those all-white jobs!

Sorry, but I've found the hull color to be pretty irrelevant to the experience on the ship. Of my 3 favorite ships 2 are white and one is dark. My 2 least ships have been white as well, so I can't discern a relationship.

Pushka, I hope the sailaway doesn't get put off until your dinner with air travel delays.

Roy

Sorry, but I've found the hull color to be pretty irrelevant to the experience on the ship. Of my 3 favorite ships 2 are white and one is dark. My 2 least ships have been white as well, so I can't discern a relationship.

Roy

I wasn't denigrating the experience, Roy, just that I like the dark hulls. Once you're on board, you can't see that, anyway!