Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Not one Person at the captains talk feels that RCI is giving us fair compensation. We now have free wif so that's why I can post. Out of a 10 day cruise ,with illness and loss of two ports, we probably had 3 actual cruise days that we could enjoy. One person said to the captain that people should refuse t o get off until Thursday am and mentioned the mutiny word. I told him that's not a very wise word to use on the ship

Here's something else to consider with regards to bathroom use and hand washing. Even if every person washes thoroughly every time, they definitely touched their clothing and possibly other things before washing their hands. All it takes is for a person to retouch something on them that's infected after washing to infect other people.

We will be getting $400 to $800 obc depending on cabin cost plus 50% future on another cruise. The worst part is that they are forcing us all off on wed after 4 pm in the dark and cold in nj, so they can clean the ship for the next cruise. Some people with cars can't drive in the dark. Who knows what they'll do.

It's a bad situation for everyone.

Rich

Why wouldn't some people be able to drive in the dark?

Not one Person at the captains talk feels that RCI is giving us fair compensation. We now have free wif so that's why I can post. Out of a 10 day cruise ,with illness and loss of two ports, we probably had 3 actual cruise days that we could enjoy. One person said to the captain that people should refuse t o get off until Thursday am and mentioned the mutiny word. I told him that's not a very wise word to use on the ship

So sorry to hear your story. I agree the compensation does not seem to be enough and feel sorry who have issues getting off the ship on Thursday and do not have transportation.

thank you for posting.

Compensation........Just as I thought in an earlier post I made 45 minutes ago. Under the conditions that seems pretty fair.

I disagree.

For this ten day cruise there were probably only a couple of days when it was a real cruise experience and vacation. Then activities were cancelled or restricted, many just stayed in their cabins while 20% of passengers were confined to their cabins.

Besides playing for this cruise that essentially went nowhere, many passengers also spent money on airfares, hotel rooms or for those who live nearby parking.

Yet to be known is what arrangements RCCL will be making to get passengers who fly home again, either by arranging earlier flights or arranging hotel rooms for those who have to wait until the original booked flights. (And by arranging, I mean by paying any extra costs.)

This was not the WOW experience RCCL advertises. 100% refund of the cruise price paid should be the minimum compensation. Not a credit, a refund.

I disagree.

For this ten day cruise there were probably only a couple of days when it was a real cruise experience and vacation. Then activities were cancelled or restricted, many just stayed in their cabins while 20% of passengers were confined to their cabins.

Besides playing for this cruise that essentially went nowhere, many passengers also spent money on airfares, hotel rooms or for those who live nearby parking.

Yet to be known is what arrangements RCCL will be making to get passengers who fly home again, either by arranging earlier flights or arranging hotel rooms for those who have to wait until the original booked flights. (And by arranging, I mean by paying any extra costs.)

This was not the WOW experience RCCL advertises. 100% refund of the cruise price paid should be the minimum compensation. Not a credit, a refund.

50% off a future cruise could be worth way more than a 100% refund of this cruise. Some people may now be able to cruise to a destination they may have not been able to afford previously.

50% off a future cruise could be worth way more than a 100% refund of this cruise. Some people may now be able to cruise to a destination they may have not been able to afford previously.

Is it an actual certificate for 50% off a future cruise with no restrictions OR are they giving you a FCC with a value of 50% of what they paid for this cruise?

I understand why people don't wash their hands. I ended up with a nasty yeast infection in my nail bed of one of my fingers. It's taken months to heal and I'm not sure it's gone yet, and the nail also got a little warped. The doctors told me to keep my hands dry. And it takes several sheets of those paper paper towels to get my hands dry. Next cruise, I'm taking along some microfibers to carry just in case the towel dispenser is empty.

As others on here have stated, I have to wonder if the hand sanitizer doesn't give people a false sense of security:

"I don't need to wash my hands. There's hand sanitizer!"

No I don't think so from the replies to my posts that "my hands are too tender and dry out from that hand sanitizer".................BUT that was from people who at least rinsed their hands............can't count on the others with tender skin I think.................If you are so tender stay out of the sun (rarely a problem it seems) but better yet off the ship!

Edited by skiron

First of all I feel for all those that had their vacation cut short or tainted by getting sick. It's no fun especially when it was your only vacation opportunity this year. With that said:

I normally avoid threads like this because unless you agree with the majority you get flamed. However, we have become a society with a fear of germs. Any hand santizer exist before 1985??? How about growing up and playing in the sandbox, dirt, ponds etc which are a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. I know I didn't wash my hands everytime my hand touched a baseball, road my bike etc. We have become arrogant enough to this that we are smarter than mother nature. Frequent hand washing and sanitizers don't allow you body to develop natural immunities....

I travel frequently for business and have never wiped any surfaces, remote controls, pens and fixtures. I subscribed to the common sense hand washing. Washing you hands for 30 secs after using the bathroom and if you have the opportunity before eating...period.

Noro virus outbreaks occur when people are confined to a small space and typically in the winter months because....people stay in. It's our nature to find blame (in this case hygiene) for things that are beyond their control.

It's not RCCL. I find that a RCCL cruise ship is cleaner than most business hotels such as Marriot, Hilton, etc. How many hotels wipe down all surfaces 3-4 time a day? Although I've never seen the gallery I suspect it is spotless given the CDC and FDA inspections that have to abide by.

It's not the person that doesn't wash his hands. As someone pointed out early, if you observe people that do wash their hands, the majority only spend a few seconds rather than the recommended 30 secs to get most of those particles. How much better is the latter?

Virus outbreaks happen. That was what they are engineered to do. They survive by spreading. They happen on cruise ships, at home in the office or even at your neighborhood restaurant.

Aw, I didn't even think of that. Thanks
All of my life, I've been an early morning driver. I wake up early so there is no way I'd want to get on the road around 4:30 (assuming customs goes quickly.) Are New Jersey/New York hotels already pretty full because of upcoming Super Bowl? Is RCI offering to hotel with hotel arrangements for those that need overnight accommodations? Edited by 05mak05

If you see a fellow passenger at the buffet or at the main dining room wearing these, that would be me so please don't be shocked.

Unknown-2.jpeg

I carry a box of these on all the previous cruises and never had a problem.

Unknown-4.jpeg

I'm truly curious as to how you do this in the MDR. Do you put on a pair of these, read the menu, take them off to eat, put on another pair to read the desert menu, then take them off to eat?

All of my life, I've been an early morning driver. I wake up early so there is no way I'd want to get on the road around 4:30 (assuming customs goes quickly.) Are New Jersey/New York hotels already pretty full because of upcoming Super Bowl? Is RCI offering to hotel with hotel arrangements for those that need overnight accommodations?

No hotels really left. It's going to be really rough for those that are sick to find a place to stay

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Is it an actual certificate for 50% off a future cruise with no restrictions OR are they giving you a FCC with a value of 50% of what they paid for this cruise?

Hmmm, I never thought of that and I don't know the answer. Anyone out there know?

Excellent point by the way.

What I saw was that if soap & water was not available, that alcohol hand sanitizers would "greatly reduce" the germs. It didn't say that it "Killed" the virus.

Personally, I prefer hand washing over those hand sanitizers. But alas, many people do not wash their hands for a long enough time to do any good.

That's what I saw too...if you reread the part of my post that you quoted you'll see I was questioning what another poster said.

Here's my post you quoted.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by styles27

Edit to add....the CDC website says that they do kill the Noro virus? Where? I've just been on the CDC Noro Virus page and read that the sanitizers alone do NOT kill Noro...they can be used in addition to proper hand washing but not in place of.