Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Plenty of hotels here in South Jersey. I don't think it will be a problem.

Jimbo:)

I'd ask for Manhattan and Broadway tickets lol. Seriously though, there should be hotel rooms since most Superbowl attendees won't be arriving before Friday/Saturday.

Seems funny that that many people got sick so quickly. Maybe it was something in the food. I know I got sick once on the Explorer after dinner. Of course I was better the next day, but sometimes the food poisoning lasts longer.

Anyway, I sure hope they get it contained quickly. Must be an awful way to spend a vacation.

Gwen :)

We have seen record flu this year with healthy people getting sick and it lasting weeks. I was sick for 3 weeks as was several people I know. I wonder if some of this is a result of sick people getting on the ship. Because I agree it was quick.

Noro virus is NOT flu. Flu is respiratory. Noro comes via bad hygiene. It is analogous to salmonella. If you eat bad food you get sick pretty quick. If you touch something carrying bad bacteria due to poor hygiene, and then touch your food etc. with your hands, the bacteria hits your system pretty quickly. That is why many can get it quickly. It is not influenza and is not stomach flu.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Just got confirmation from the Captain... Explorer is heading directly home and will be back on the 29th , 2 days early for deep cleaning and are to make arrangements for everyone to get home and will be compensated for there losses.

Let me add another "thank you!" for taking the time to update us. Safe travels back home!

What a difference 2 weeks can make. We were on the cruise that ended 1/12 and there was no sign of any outbreaks during that week. There was only one "incident" that we stumbled upon on deck 3 the day before arriving back in NJ. Let's just say that there was a....um....visible trail that led from the dining room entrance to the men's room near the port side elevators. The crew had the area cordoned off and was pretty focused on cleaning......but I could never bring myself to walk on the carpet near those elevators again.:eek:

Let me add another "thank you!" for taking the time to update us. Safe travels back home!

What a difference 2 weeks can make. We were on the cruise that ended 1/12 and there was no sign of any outbreaks during that week. There was only one "incident" that we stumbled upon on deck 3 the day before arriving back in NJ. Let's just say that there was a....um....visible trail that led from the dining room entrance to the men's room near the port side elevators. The crew had the area cordoned off and was pretty focused on cleaning......but I could never bring myself to walk on the carpet near those elevators again.:eek:

He was patient zero.

Let's face it, there are nasty and lazy people who could care less about good personal hygiene. While using a urinal I myself have witnessed men walk out of a stall or leave a urinal without stopping to wash their hands. No excuse at all.

Yep...see it all the time.:mad:

This infectious, gastrointestinal illness can rip its way through close, crowded quarters like these, wreaking havoc on the residents’ digestive systems, and leaving them dangerously dehydrated due to diarrhea, lack of appetite, and vomiting, within a mere 24 hour period.

Norovirus symptoms hit those with low immunities the worst, such as infants, seniors, and those with unrelated illnesses. The symptoms might seem like a violent flu, lasting over a few days before emergency medical attention is required. This highly contagious infection spreads quickly through contact with an infected person. However, it typically strikes a population first via fecal contaminated food or water sources.

So, people it's quite simple - WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!!

Just spoke to my husband, who's onboard Explorer. They will be docking at 4pm on the 29th. They're letting passengers use free internet tonight, and tomorrow they will be allowed to call home free. He did say that it seems like the crew has mentally checked out tonight, and that things have gone from "surprisingly good, considering" to "it's very obvious NO ONE is enjoying this".

It was definitely from below the water line...if you know what I mean.

Gross! :eek:

Just spoke to my husband, who's onboard Explorer. They will be docking at 4pm on the 29th. They're letting passengers use free internet tonight, and tomorrow they will be allowed to call home free. He did say that it seems like the crew has mentally checked out tonight, and that things have gone from "surprisingly good, considering" to "it's very obvious NO ONE is enjoying this".

I wonder: if RCL fully refunds passengers (which I suspect they will), will the crew receive their standard tips? If crew members don't receive tips for this 10 day cruise, after likely having added cleaning duties, I certainly couldn't blame them for mentally checking out.

Edited by Mom.to.2

I will be on the Jewel March 1st. Anyone I see who does not wash their hands is getting an earful from me. 3000 people in one place, and they cannot wash their hand or keep clean!

How will you watch for the people in the kitchen (food handlers) that use the bathroom and don't wash their hands. How can we assume that this illness was brought onboard by passengers rather than the crew that work behind the scenes in the kitchen? Think about the fact that many of the crew that work on these ships are from 3rd world countries and particularly don't care if they wash there hands after using the restroom.:confused:

Is it possible that food poisoning could have been the culprit?

Edited by need2cruisesoon

How will you watch for the people in the kitchen (food handlers) that use the bathroom and don't wash their hands. How can we assume that this illness was brought onboard by passengers rather than the crew that work behind the scenes in the kitchen? Think about the fact that many of the crew that work on these ships are from 3rd world countries and particularly don't care if they wash there hands after using the restroom.:confused:

Really? I find this post offensive.

I asked a simple direct question regarding the possibility of how passengers could have come in contact with Noro. Perhaps this was spread by the crew, how is this offensive or inaccurate?

Your assumption that crew, because many are from developing nations, do not care if they wash their hands after toileting, is offensive. As Langley Cruisers has pointed out.

Edited by Mom.to.2

I'm thinking it was the third world country employee not caring about washing his hands was the offensive part.

:cool: How do you know it was a "he"?

Haven't you seen "ladies" (using that word loosely ) :rolleyes: walk out of the ladies room without stopping at the sink? :eek::eek::eek::cool:

Looks like we'll have to add Disposable Gloves to the lists of things to bring on a cruise.

In fact it might be a good idea for the cruise line to supply those at the start of a buffet line, as the tongs for self service are probably a big issue in transmission. Along with rummaging through silverware.

Also the self serve drink station could be an issue.

You handle the cup..and then touch the cup the switch...finish the drink and do it again. Then the next person does the same.

Use a napkin between that switch and the cup, and put up a sign telling people do that.

Elbow switches and automatic doors on the bathroom could help too.

It is a painful process due to long lines, but RCCL should consider in adopting a policy from HAL. For the 1st 48 hrs., there is no self serve in the buffet. The crew serves the guest. This prevents spreading any potential illness from guest who may have embarked while being ill.

So the pax who were quarantined due to illness are allowed off the ship to spread it further??? :eek: :confused:

If a guest is quarantined, their sea pass would alert the security at the gang way preventing in disembarking.

I might have missed it, but I cannot find it anywhere on the news sites that 2 passengers died from the Norovirus. The only place where it is mentioned is here on CC.

So is RCL holding back on the truth or is it just a rumor. In today's social media world it does not seem possible.

Edited by badatz

Excuse me for sharing some facts vs rumors and old wives tales, but this is direct from the CDC website

You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth.

This usually happens by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).