Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

I am glad Pia posted this here. I am interested!!!

You might want to post this on the Royal Carribean Forums instead of Princess.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I specifically posted it here because it's different, inasmuch as the ship is literally "grounded" for now. At least it was at 8:00 AM.

RCI forums will take care of itself, it doesn't need me. And if you look at the CNN article (link above in #2) you will see they mentioned PR. Broadcast said St. Thomas.

Thanks Jamie.

Edited by Pia1913

I am glad Pia posted this here. I am interested!!!

I agree; it's good information for all of us.

On Wednesday night on the Ruby we were playing cards in Caribe, and a group from the medical center were having dinner. One of them got a call, and we heard her telling the caller that it sounded like a case of Noro. She asked if the caller wanted someone from the medical staff to come to their cabin, and the caller said yes. I'm not sure what the outcome was, but there were no changes in HC on the final morning.

On both the Emerald and the Ruby the staff at the buffets were very careful to make sure everyone sanitized even if they said they just wanted to look the buffet over. I wish that would happen at IC. We often see people getting food without cleaning their hands.

It sounds like I had noro on Serenade of the Seas from the sounds of this report. It did come on suddenly during the night. I had a really bad stomach ache that I tried to quell with some coke and then blah.... but the good news is... it only lasted about a day. I was fine the following morning. So don't worry yourself over this.

No one knows anything at this point.

Hi Carol...

I'm on this Explorer cruise and no mention of the ship being detained and cancelled at this point even though I've heard that it's a possibility.

No updates from Captain yet as CDC was to be onboard today.

Will update if I get confirmation of any kind.

The ship isn't sick...the passengers that come onboard are! Unfortunately, you can board the ship feeling just fine, and then, BAM...it hits you! You have the virus in you LONG before you know you're sick. This is the noro season! My brother, who has no kids (they are the biggest spreaders!) and is not on a cruise, just got over a bout.....it's awful. You don't want this virus, especially on vacation! But, you can catch it anywhere.

It is possible that your brother picked up the virus at work. That is where it hit me last winter.

Speedy recovery to all of the victims, and hopefully the ship will be free from this scourge soon. However, all must do their part by frequent hand washing.

I specifically posted it here because it's different, inasmuch as the ship is literally "grounded" for now. At least it was at 8:00 AM.

RCI forums will take care of itself, it doesn't need me. And if you look at the CNN article (link above in #2) you will see they mentioned PR. Broadcast said St. Thomas.

Thanks Jamie.

Thanks Pia

It's a good reminder that it's that time of year. Also news worthy because of the number of passengers sick on this ship.

Joe

Hi Carol...

I'm on this Explorer cruise and no mention of the ship being detained and cancelled at this point even though I've heard that it's a possibility.

No updates from Captain yet as CDC was to be onboard today.

Will update if I get confirmation of any kind.

You are so good to post live to us from the ship! Thank you so much.

The published news reports do not mention any change to your voyage, other than skipping your first port and getting checked out at the next port.

One strong rumor has been that the following cruise, scheduled to depart on January 31, will be cancelled so that RC can perform a deep cleaning.

Personally, I don't see that happening, since it is a 9 night cruise. It would be more likely, IMO, that it would be delayed.

It just doesn't take 9 days to clean a ship.

That's almost a drydock period of time! :eek:

It can be a very big worry for the elderly or people with immune system compromised. So even though for some it is one or two days, for other it can mean their life.

Here on the West coast, haven't heard of the cruise ships being impacted by Noro.

I know on HAL, the first two days of a cruise, as a precaution, in the buffet you can't serve yourself. So passengers possibly already infected but don't know it, won't spread it.

We were on a 15 day cruise on the Island Princess and it really Pissed me off how many people didn't sanitize their hands before entering the buffet area or just refusing to do so because they didn't like the stuff.What really got me were people who licked their fingers while going the buffet and then touching the tongs, spoons, coffee cups and everything else in their path, has no one taught these people basic hygiene etiquette.I heard people say they washed their hands in their cabin before entering the buffet but they also touched the hand rails,elevator buttons, and door knobs on there way. As you can tell this is my pet peev. Thank you.:D

My wife and I have done over 35 cruises w/RCCL and Celebrity and thank goodness we've never been sick 1 day on a cruise. We Lysol the room, phone and tv clicker and my wife wipes the slots before she plays. We are not germ freeks but we try not to pick any up. Why people do not wash their hands is crazy. "do we now need and hand wash patrol in all the public bathrooms or someone standing outside each one with the washy washy liquid to make sure.

PEOPLE WASH YOUR HANDS. The hand washers pay for their cruises and should be able to enjoy their trip without getting sick.

The washy washy girls outside of public restrooms might not be a bad idea. Also place signage on the inside of stall doors, as reminders to wash.

Do you tend to see more "NORO" type outbreaks in the winter months?:confused::confused:

I definitely do NOT want to be on a cruise when this strikes, but we usually cruise in April or May, and it's never been an issue. Thanks in advance!!:D

Do you tend to see more "NORO" type outbreaks in the winter months?:confused::confused:

I definitely do NOT want to be on a cruise when this strikes, but we usually cruise in April or May, and it's never been an issue. Thanks in advance!!:D

Cruising as much as we do, we are very fortunate to have never personally been affected. That's not to say we weren't on a ship that had a noro problem. We cruise all times of year, so it can happen at any time.

It still amazes me when I see women and those with children leave a restroom without washing their hands or just run water over their hands for a few seconds with no soap. :eek:

Funny, I mostly notice seniors not observing proper hand washing techniques (if any at all). One time I witnessed a man probably in his 80's come out of a stall, fix his combover, and leave by grabbing the door knob. Didn't even attempt to turn the water on.

There are people in every age group who don't wash their hands properly though.

Latest update - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1627453&page=44

Folks are hearing the ship will be detained in St Thomas and the 1/21 cruise will be cancelled.

I'm sure there will be a lot more about this.

Am I missing something today is 1/26 so are you saying the cruise never sailed:confused:

My mother has never had noro and has always gone to the MDR for meals. She never eats at the buffet. She enjoys being waited on. I think the biggest culprit on the ship are the tongs in the buffet. My suggestion would be for anyone worried about illness- avoid the buffets. Think about how many people touch those tongs! How often do they really clean the tongs? Say, five hundred people go to the buffet. That's a lot of germs. That's like shaking hands with 500 people everyday.

Bottom line- keep your resistance up through healthy living- eating right, getting plenty of sleep and staying hydrated.

Cruise ships start to take on board precautions when about 3% of the crew and passengers are affected by the virus. We have seen Noro at all times of the year on cruises. You can tell when Noro is on board when salt and pepper shakers are removed . The staff starts to serve you around the food in the buffet restaurant. We have seen Noro on a cruise to Hawaii , Mexico , Panama , Caribbean and Alaska.

It can strike at anytime of the year.

This is kind of ironic.

When you check in, you fill out a form, swearing that you're not sick. The rep hands you a pen - the same pen that dozens of people in front of you have handled. :eek:

We always bring our own pens for this exercise.

The cruise lines could easily give out free pens, or use stick pens that they throw in a disinfecting container after each use.