Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

I'm sad to hear that. It sounds like you did the right thing, but I'm sorry Royal didn't do more. You do make a case for carring travel insurance.

Rick

You got it. We will never go without insurance again. We knew better, but you know how it goes - we all think we'll be okay. It was traumatic, that's for sure.

You got it. We will never go without insurance again. We knew better, but you know how it goes - we all think we'll be okay. It was traumatic, that's for sure.

When booking a cruise, the cruise line always asks if you want travel insurance, but they never tell the people what is covered or not covered. There are so many options that it is difficult for most people to make an informed decision. :confused:

Seems one of their ships that departed from NJ (I believe it's Explorer of the Seas), has been hit with hundreds of cases of noro. It is now docked in St. Thomas with health officials on board. No word of when ship will be allowed to leave the port.

This was broadcast on NBC National news an hour ago. Word is that possibly two fatalities. I hope this part is erroneous.

Edited by Pia1913

When booking a cruise, the cruise line always asks if you want travel insurance, but they never tell the people what is covered or not covered. There are so many options that it is difficult for most people to make an informed decision. :confused:
All you have to do is be able to read. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=1&snav=10 and http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf Edited by FLACRUISER99

For the ones on board, do they get any kind of compensation, such as their money back for this cruise? Or credit towards their next cruise? If so, do they have ti have already purchased insurance to receive these? Lastly for the ones set to embark on this ship for immediate future cruises, do they get the option of cancelling with a full refund?

For the ones on board, do they get any kind of compensation, such as their money back for this cruise? Or credit towards their next cruise? If so, do they have ti have already purchased insurance to receive these? Lastly for the ones set to embark on this ship for immediate future cruises, do they get the option of cancelling with a full refund?

No one knows anything at this point.

Noro is a problem for all lines. I'm currently on Coral Princess, and the captain announced a few days ago that there are noro cases onboard and put Noro precautions in effect. There's been no update since, but passengers cannot serve themselves on buffet lines, bread baskets and salt and pepper shakers have been removed from the tables, etc.

Sorry, noro virus doesn't have a season. It is contracted by touching areas others have touched who have poor hygiene. How many times do you go in public restrooms where people come out of stalls and don't wash their hands. The ship is an inanimate object and doesn't pass germs. People who are uncleanly do. If anyone should compensate passengers it isn't the cruiseline, but rather those who never wash their hands and/or those who lie on their health form when they board a ship. Those who know they don't feel well and continue to frequent public places are also responsible.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Latest update - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1627453&page=44

Folks are hearing the ship will be detained in St Thomas and the 1/21 cruise will be cancelled.

I'm sure there will be a lot more about this.

How devastating for all involved. :(

Edited by Merion_Mom

Noro is a problem for all lines. I'm currently on Coral Princess, and the captain announced a few days ago that there are noro cases onboard and put Noro precautions in effect. There's been no update since, but passengers cannot serve themselves on buffet lines, bread baskets and salt and pepper shakers have been removed from the tables, etc.

Yes, noro can be a problem for any cruise line. At the moment, Royal Caribbean has a major problem affecting hundreds of people.

Sorry, noro virus doesn't have a season. It is contracted by touching areas others have touched who have poor hygiene. How many times do you go in public restrooms where people come out of stalls and don't wash their hands. The ship is an inanimate object and doesn't pass germs. People who are uncleanly do. If anyone should compensate passengers it isn't the cruiseline, but rather those who never wash their hands and/or those who lie on their health form when they board a ship. Those who know they don't feel well and continue to frequent public places are also responsible.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

You would think people these days know how to be clean and not touch their (well you know). Then walk out without washing!

Just disembarked from Coral Princess one week ago.

The number of passengers I personally witnessed NOT washing their hands after doing their business in the washrooms is outstanding. I don't care how much "Gel" they have us put on our hands before entering the Horizon Court, if you have failed to take care of your personal hygiene and basic cleanliness you become a health risk to, not only yourself, but everyone else.

This seems so basic, to me, but apparently not to everyone! :confused:

And then they wonder why Noro has broken out!

Although not in the news, the Coral has been hit with it as well. Probably not as bad. Our friends are currently on board and the husband got it. Comes on so suddenly, in his case middle of night. Captain had just announced there was Noro and hours later he was sick. Two days quaranteed and although weak , is better. Still has no appetite.

Don't know how many on board were ill.

The number of passengers I personally witnessed NOT washing their hands after doing their business in the washrooms is outstanding. I don't care how much "Gel" they have us put on our hands before entering the Horizon Court, if you have failed to take care of your personal hygiene and basic cleanliness you become a health risk to, not only yourself, but everyone else.

I agree 100%.

What you said is true ... and I know people complain about the 'washy washy' person standing in the entrance to the food ... but what about if they had the same system in the bathrooms? Course that mean a lot of extra personnel I suppose ... but 'just sayin'!! People DON'T always wash their hands after using the bathroom ... I've seen it too :(

Folks. It's Jan/Fed. Noro happens. RCCL is just having a very bad outbreak. When I see one that big, I almost always assume that a food worker was contaminated but didn't show symptoms and it got into a cold food product.

It's a hard to kill bug, and if people don't follow protocol it will spread. And people won't follow protocol.

It's one of the reasons I don't ever vacation in Jan/Feb sometimes even Mar.

Folks. It's Jan/Fed. Noro happens. RCCL is just having a very bad outbreak. When I see one that big, I almost always assume that a food worker was contaminated but didn't show symptoms and it got into a cold food product.

It's a hard to kill bug, and if people don't follow protocol it will spread. And people won't follow protocol.

It's one of the reasons I don't ever vacation in Jan/Feb sometimes even Mar.

Makes sense. We usually cruise last minute anyway and it's usually in the Spring. We did do one in early February 4 years ago out of CA to the Mexican Riviera mainly because of the 'deal' and the fact we could go with family and it was one of their b-days. Luckily, we've not run into this. I know from reading other boards, that there are other lines as well with some problems, so what you said about the 'season' makes good sense. Hopefully it will all turn out well. People do tend to panic with this stuff and you made a 'cool head' response. Thanx! :)