Is RCI eliminating a formal night?

laurspag

Amen! Formal nights mean absolutely nothing to me, I'm a blue collar guy and have no desire to dress up just to eat. Don't mind wearing a polo shirt and khakis, but tuxedos are not for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I was just on the explorer.

Per my waiter it was a cruise compass mistake. He said there are still two formal nights. Most still dressed up cuz it was valentines day and most of the cruisers are experienced and assumed it was formal night regardless of the compass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People are packing lighter to get everything in one suitcase because of the charges they pay to the airlines. It's also easier to handle one suitcase. I prefer country club casual which RCL's premium line has. Azamara has no formal nights, I wouldn't mind RCL following suit. Why would RCL deny entry into the dinning room if someone didn't dress according to a "suggestion".

Edited by cruzsnooze

I can't imagine they would reduce it to one formal night. Not only do us cruisers like our formal nights, but it is a money maker for the cruise lines.

Think of when you see people doing fancy pictures with the fancy back drops. Always on formal night. If they reduced it to one night, they potentially reduce their photo revenue by 50%. One of my theories on why they have two formal nights is for that very reason. It gets people dressed up, people dressed up look good and when you look good, you get your picture taken...and when you get a picture taken while looking FABULOUS, you are more prone to buy buy buy!

In addition to the additional photos people take and buy on formal nights, some also rent there tuxes which is another revenue generator. People who don't typically buy drinks are also more likely to order one on a formal night which is more revenue.

On the Grandeur in May we had 2 on a 7 night sailing. In January though they ADDED one! We had 4 formal nights on the 10 night sailing instead of the 3 that Royal Caribbean lists.

This is sad. Is it really hard to dress up for two nights?

I dont pay attention to what others do. Some people dont want to dress up, they are paying for their cruise. For the Record I wear a shirt and tie and dress pants. Minus the Jacket. I stoped bringing my jacket since it takes up a ton of room and we already have three suitcases full of clothes.

But I admit it is kind of nice to see everyone all dressed up.

We can only hope the formal nights get reduced to 0 Formal nights. It's about time the formal night tradition gets thrown overboard.

No need to wait! - try a cruise line more attuned to your cruising preference.

Here's a hint: their slogan is "Fun for all and all for fun!!"

No need to wait! - try a cruise line more attuned to your cruising preference.

Here's a hint: their slogan is "Fun for all and all for fun!!"

And you could try Cunard. Business casual is perfect for us. That's how we dress on formal nights. My husband is a blue collar worker and he does good to wear his dress shirt and tie. Neither of us have worn true "formal" and don't ever plan to. I never notice what other people are wearing and if others are bothered by less formal then go to a true formal cruise line.

The only time I see my DH in a suit is on formal nights and at funerals. (We haven't been to a wedding in a while but that would be an occasion as well.) Since he has 4 suits, he has to rotate them from cruise to cruise.

We personally love the formal nights and love to see what others wear. I don't particularly care what others wear as long as there's no passengers dressed like slobs.

I dress in between - I do not wear jeans on formal night nor do I dress up. I wear a pair of slacks and a nice top. It is suggested - not required. I do not pay any attention to what anybody else wears. If you want to dress up formally, good for you. I hate when "formal" people turn and stare at you and roll their eyes because you are not formally dressed...

So you can wear your bathrobe to the MDR? ;):D

That's a great suggestion. Perhaps I'll combine the white RCCl robe with a black shirt and pants. Do you think I'll be able to get a clean robe for formal nights or will I need to use the one with toothpaste stains?

We will be on Navigator of the Seas in August and hope they still have the 2 nights. I also would like to see RCCL deny admittance for people that do not dress, in formal attire, for formal nights. Kids without a suit jacket of at least a sports coat is understandable but there is not a reason in the world, other than some people are all about "me" and it is "my" cruise, for them to not be in formal dress on those 2 nights. There are other venues and it is requested in the contract that they have all agreed too when they book the cruise.

Lets see...if they choose not to dress in the SUGGESTED attire they are all about "me" and "my cruise" but you wanting to deny them admission to the MDR because you like the suggested attire is NOT about "me" and "my cruise".

Do I understand that correctly?

We will be on Navigator of the Seas in August and hope they still have the 2 nights. I also would like to see RCCL deny admittance for people that do not dress, in formal attire, for formal nights. Kids without a suit jacket of at least a sports coat is understandable but there is not a reason in the world, other than some people are all about "me" and it is "my" cruise, for them to not be in formal dress on those 2 nights. There are other venues and it is requested in the contract that they have all agreed too when they book the cruise.

It is a bit ironic that your complaint about people who don't dress up is their attitude is all about themselves, and yet it is you who wants others to dress up (or go away) so that you enjoy your night more. But, this debate has been had many times...

There are plenty of reasons in the world - not the least of which some people find it downright wasteful to buy a jacket or "formal" dress for one or two nights of vacation. We have no need for these things in our regular life and I don't choose to spend my money on something that will only be worn for a few hours. We still dress nice, but by no means formal and I don't even require my husband to wear a tie :eek:

Lets see...if they choose not to dress in the SUGGESTED attire they are all about "me" and "my cruise" but you wanting to deny them admission to the MDR because you like the suggested attire is NOT about "me" and "my cruise".

Do I understand that correctly?

You pretty much have it correct, except I didn't make the rules and have no way to enforce them, so if the ones that don't adhere to the SUGGESTED rules, by the way RCCL's website states "For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men", which you evidently consider SUGGESTED, should be allowed to go to the Windjammer, that way they get to exercise their option and I get to exercise mine. There are a lot of SUGGESTED rules in life, speed limits are one, and if you don't follow it there can and should be consequences, just like the formal night SUGGESTED rules.

There are plenty of reasons in the world - not the least of which some people find it downright wasteful to buy a jacket or "formal" dress for one or two nights of vacation. We have no need for these things in our regular life and I don't choose to spend my money on something that will only be worn for a few hours. We still dress nice, but by no means formal and I don't even require my husband to wear a tie :eek:

Then go to the Windjammer on those two nights.

It is a bit ironic that your complaint about people who don't dress up is their attitude is all about themselves, and yet it is you who wants others to dress up (or go away) so that you enjoy your night more. But, this debate has been had many times...

You are correct about this debate. It would be solved if the cruise lines would enforce the rules that they have made, they won't so there will continue to be people that break the rules or ignore the rules whichever you prefer. Much like many things in life when rules are enforced, for children or big children, they will learn the consequences and follow the rules, until then there will continue to be children and big children that will do what they can to keep from following rules. Of course I am from the generation that actually believe in following rules, that make sense, and working to change rules that don't. Not just ignoring them.

I don't mind the formal nights and like to dress up. I mean who doesn't like to look good? However I think Rccl would have less dress code issue's if they made Formal nights into semi formal. So men would just have Shirts, ties, and dress pants. Women could still do a less formal dress. I think more would follow that. Either way I love these threads so I can read about all the people that say its suggested even if its listed in the cruise contract. So they wear "x" and the same people are jumping on others about taking booze or steamers or whatever on the ship breaking the same contract. At this point I should just know people make their own rules to fit what works for their trip but its still funny to read.

Sorry that was way off track and didn't have anything to do with the original post. Sorry Op