Tipping ? (About Bar Drinks)

footballbabe3

Okay please do not flame me. We always pay the Daily Service Charge before even stepping on the ship. We also tip extras for like our room and such. We also have always tipped our bartenders until we realized on our last cruise they are adding 15%. Do most people tip more then that 15%?

The cruise has worked the tipping shedule out so why fret. I leave the auto tips intact and leave the 15 % intact and that's all. They already worked out what's fair.

I'll start by saying I'm a fairly high tipper (around 25%) when left to my own devices. But it's rare that I add more to an auto-gratuity. I don't care for the idea that my tips are pre-determined for me, but they (the cruise line) have clearly determined that it works out better for them to have each person tip a minimum amount. That being the case, I give them exactly what they've dictated I'm to pay. If someone goes above & beyond, I'll add a bit, but they've got to really impress me for that to happen.

I still tip - habit. However, especially with bartenders, I find you do get better service if you tip well (on ships and on land). I know that by day 2, that rule of 1 drink at a time pp was waived many times for us (so DH could bring drinks back to our cabin).

The cruise has worked the tipping shedule out so why fret. I leave the auto tips intact and leave the 15 % intact and that's all. They already worked out what's fair.

Ditto for me, but if weren't an auto-tip, it would be more. I hate it when they decide the amount, so I leave what they want. Same goes for the spa - if the put the tip in, that is what they will get.

Edited by NLH Arizona

No. Neither DH or I are heavy drinkers so don't really establish any kind of relationship with a particular bar tender. We usually will get a drink at whatever bar we happen to be closest to. We have never added anything additional to the bar tip. We have tipped extra in specialty restaurants on all the ships we have been on.

Edited by fergusonvt

Agree!

Unless we are asking for more than regular service or the bartender goes above regular service then no extra tip.

I still tip - habit. However, especially with bartenders, I find you do get better service if you tip well (on ships and on land). I know that by day 2, that rule of 1 drink at a time pp was waived many times for us (so DH could bring drinks back to our cabin).

If you have two room cards, then you would be able to get 2 drinks anyway.

If you have two room cards, then you would be able to get 2 drinks anyway.
If they don't see the other person nearby, I think they can refuse to serve you two drinks, even if you have the two cards. Serving one person multiple drinks to take back to their cabin definitely counts as special service to me.

Do you add it onto the bill or give him/her cash? Ie does the server have to pool the extra tip? Or give cash so he keeps it?!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Wondered about this. Does anyone know if cash is kept by most/many staff?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We don't tip bartenders over and above the 15% which is already included. Exception is that if we frequent the same bar and bartender all week, we might give them a tip* at the end of the week, usually $10.

edit: * if the service has been very good

Edited by RJ2002

On our Star cruise we had a favorite bar waiter and bartender. Remembered us on day 2. Always provided us special attention no matter where we were. On our Epic cruise we had 2 favorite bar waiters they also provided the outstanding service to us the entire cruise (we are actually Facebook friends now), made us feel special. All 4 received a very nice extra tip from us on the last day. All 4 were very appreciative of the extra tip. They made our vacation that much more special and that to me is worth so much more than 15%.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Drinks are not measured. It's up to the bar tender to add make the drink stronger or weaker. To me a somewhat drinker. It's important to get a bartender to make the drinks like how I like them. So I try to stay with one bar tender and tip them like two dollars a drink. It makes me happy, makes the bar tender happy. With the cost of the cruise what a few dollars more??