Freedom of the Seas - "top" points you liked

We are doing the FOTS in April. We have never been on this ship before. If you have been on this ship (I know this is your opinion) before within the past year, what did you find that really pleased you on this ship, that you would like to share with me? Any pros/cons, I would like to know this also.

We are doing the FOTS in April. We have never been on this ship before. If you have been on this ship (I know this is your opinion) before within the past year, what did you find that really pleased you on this ship, that you would like to share with me? Any pros/cons, I would like to know this also.

We are boarding the FOS tomorrow (1st time for us too) for western Caribbean so I will be happy to report back in a week for you!!

From what I read, it doesn't disappoint!!

:)

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

My family of hubby and I and 3 young adult children and new son-in-law (ages 21-48) just did the FOS in Sept . My hubby and the boys got hooked on the flow-rider! Spent hours there I can't say we had any complaints, but we aren't too hard to please either. It was the SIL first cruise and I think he's hooked on cruising too! We always enjoy the evening shows also, I can't remember the broadway show we watched, but the stage backdrops was quite impressive!

Best tip I can think about is to eat in the promenade cafe or Sorrentos on embarkation day. It was very quiet and relaxing. DH ran up to the Windjammer just to grab some different drinks, but it was a madhouse up there.

Also, when it is time for the parade, sit outside the pub about 30 minutes before. It was a great place for us to see the parade.

You can also look into this thread. It started long ago, but if you work your way back from the last page, you can get a lot of info. Enjoy your cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=737295&page=124

We were on FOS in December for our honeymoon and it was ALL amazing. Just make sure not to do Johnny Rockets on the same day as a specialty dining experience. We were SOOOO overstuffed. We did JR on a port day so it wasn't crowded at all. We had no interest in Falmouth so we enjoyed a mostly empty ship and it was wonderful :) Enjoy!

Took our five grandkids on Fos. There was so much activities for the kids. We saw them for dinner each night. Rest of the time they were on their own to enjoy the kids programs. Oldest grandson hung out at flow rider most of the week so he could perfect his surfing skills.

The ice show is a must do if you have never done one. We have seen it

four times now, but is always a good show! ;)

The Viking crown lounge is a quiet and nice place to relax with a cup

of coffee in the morning and watch the main part of the open deck.

Great place during sea days, and nice way to get out of any bad

weather to still enjoy the view!

BTW: I am boarding in the morning also! ;)

Edited by island lady

My vote for best kept secret on FoS:

Vintages does a wine pairing dinner pretty much every night. The food is a selection of the MDR menu, but they do some very well thought out (and fairly generous) wine pours for each course. If memory serves, it was about $50/person plus gratuity, but it was very enjoyable, and the wines were very good. You sign up for it at Vintages, on the Promenade.

Our favorite cruise ship by far! We never lacked in activities. I will list a couple of my favorites and my wife's favorites too. Just as a base, we are early 40's.

Mine:

Flowrider

Rock wall

sport contests - ping pong, rock climbing, etc

Promenade people watching

My secret favorite - golf simulator, who would have thought I could play Pebble Beach in the middle of the caribbean

Wife:

Relaxing at pool - telling me not to get hurt climbing the rock wall

Relaxing at Flowrider - watching me wipe out in spectacular fashion

Relaxing on balcony

You get the idea

To sum up...lots to do if you want to be active...lots to do watching people be active...lots to do not doing anything.

Have a great cruise, I'm a little jealous. Wish I was going too.

Oh my, thank you for all your suggestions, and yes (sorry I forgot the name) to the one that was getting ready to cruise, I would love to read your review.

I guess my thinking of this was, generally we have an ocean view or balcony room. We got an inner room as it was just as expensive, or more expensive than Princess or Carnival when we had a room on these ships for an ocean view or balcony. In other words, I hope the price we paid will be worth it.

We are on deck 9, but I understand deck 7 or 8 or better for the Promenade watching.

We are on deck 9, but I understand deck 7 or 8 or better for the Promenade watching.

We loved our deck 9 (aft) location. SIL and BIL had deck 9 forward and loved it too. 2 floors up and you are at the pool/windjammer....4 floors down and you are on the promenade. Very quiet floor :) Also had an inside (usually get balcony or window, but wanted to save money this time since it was an unplanned vaca) and it was nice for the darkness but a little hard to get moving in the am. I just turned on the lights full blast and it did the trick. You will love the Freedom. By far our fave ship.

Flowrider, ice show (loved that Hula Hoop part, just amazing!!!) and the over all WOW of the ship. Dinner in MDR was very relaxing and, maybe we are easy to please, but thought the food was YUMMO! We enjoyed the helipad- all the way forward on deck 5 and up a few stairs. We have done both East & West, so had to leave this fabulous ship to see other ports. It is all around pretty great, not too big/too small, just right!:p

FYI- we had deck 9 interiors, great location and sleeping!

Edited by BLAMBKY

I have only been on a few cruise ships, but FoS is my absolute favorite. The best parts for me was the Sorrentos pizza. (My son and I hit them up for a pizza and a pop before bedtime) Being on the helicopter pad on the bow of the ship for sail away was incredible. That moment when life as you know it melts away and the vacation is actually starting, dolphins (or porpouses) jumpnig along side the ship, all the people on shore waving as you leave the port. There was so much to see and experiance that I don't even think we saw everything. Definately need to see the ice show!! Its amazing and spectaular what those folks can do. And where else can you ice skate in the middle of the Caribbean.

Have a great cruise and happy sailing.

We were on FOS in December for our honeymoon and it was ALL amazing. Just make sure not to do Johnny Rockets on the same day as a specialty dining experience. We were SOOOO overstuffed. We did JR on a port day so it wasn't crowded at all. We had no interest in Falmouth so we enjoyed a mostly empty ship and it was wonderful :) Enjoy!

I learned that lesson too. JR for lunch and Chops for dinner equals a doggie bag. Luckily they packed everything we did not eat including dessert and we took it back to the cabin.

I love the FOS, the parades are wonderful and Sailaway show is on the big pool movie screen so you can see it from almost everywhere. it does not feel crowded at all.

That is only if you book a PR (Promenade stateroom). They are on decks 6, 7, and 8. Most of them sleep only 2 people. A few are designated Family sized for larger families. Keep checking the prices. If you are not past final payment, you can get a price adjustment in most cases. If you are past final pay, you may be able to upgrade to an oceanview or balcony. To me, FOS is worth the price we pay :)

My family of 5 did manage to eat in the Windjammer after arriving on the ship. The hardest part was finding a table. It was impossible. I noticed a line with a velvet rope and saw waiters helping people get a table. As soon as we went to the rope, they found us a table. We were relieved and had a pleasant lunch.

I'm glad you liked your inner room on Deck 9 of the FOTS. Hopefully we will like ours too. Yes, I would have liked to have had a ocean view or balcony, but the inner room was just as expensive as an ocean view or balcony on a Carnival or Princess cruise.