Rccl phasing out library rooms?

I can understand why RC did away with some libraries, however I would hope they have some place/area for sharing mags. Books, etc and a quiet place to to play cards games etc and yes even read on your e reader. If they took the space for profitable venues that would be a disservice to cruisers.

While the library isn't a money-generating spot, it also doesn't require much space or manpower. I think we all know that the books are mostly books that have been left behind by previous passengers.

I do much prefer reading books on my kindle, but I would not want to see the option of using the library disappear. I could see it combined with the game room /card room. Those spots don't seem to get much use.

Edited by MrsPete

Guest maddycat

I'm another one who enjoys reading real books. I don't plan on buying an e-reader. I usually bring a few paperbacks on a cruise. As I fininsh them I bring them to the library and leave them in the book exchange area. Once in a while, I'll take a book that someone else has donated. However, I don't sit and read in the library. I would be happy as long as there is still an area on the ship that is dedicated to a book exchange.

It would be nice to keep the library area with Cafe Lattitudes since I love getting a good latte and read a good book even if its on my E-Reader and just relax in a quiet zone.

Anyone here remember Borders with their Seattles Best Cafe? I would read boks and enjoy a nice hot or cold beverage. It was fun.

Libraries do not produce revenue so RCCL has begun phasing them out on some of its smaller ships. Rarely ever see anyone actually sitting in the library . Have seen people going to get a book and than leave.

I often see people the library.

Reading.

E-readers.

:)

I read an average of 15 books a month, mostly novels ... book books, not on a device. I like the feel of the book in my hand, turning the pages, flipping back & forth ... I have borrowed some of e-readers to see what they're like, and I do not care for them. I'll happily work on my computer but I like to get away from screens when I'm reading for pleasure ...

Mr Chew & I both bring several books to read each cruise, some we leave behind when we're done. Once in a while I've been able to find a good book in a Royal library. HAL ships have real libraries with hundreds of books, all properly cataloged, reading areas with current magazines, and with actual human librarians. I know that Royal has a very different demographic, but still ... it would be nice!

First time we sailed on Grandeur in 2006 there was a full library on deck 7 - always quiet and underutilized, so much so that my DS went there to complete his school assignments on sea days:rolleyes:.

Fast forward to this past January - deck 7 library is now cabins (as is the card room on 7 and the LA office on 8). The bookcases with the 'library' are now next to the LA desk and didn't seem to see a lot of traffic during our trip :(.

I to am an avid reader and love having my tablet with me - I have three different reader apps (kindle, Nook and Google) and have generally a choice of 30-40 books on the tablet at any time. It took me a while to switch, for many of the same reasons enumerated by others, but the convenience is just too great to pass up.

Yes, with the revitalization of Navigator, they eliminated the card room and added more tables and board games to the library. Seems like a practical idea to me. Our cabin was nearby, and we saw people enjoying the space throughout the day & evening.

Does anyone else remember when Royal used to keep the books locked in glass cabinets anytime the official "librarian" was not on duty??

Games are noisy, while libraries are quiet. How could they be combined? If a person wants to read amongst the noise, they'd probably out on the deck (in either the sun or a shaded area). Typically, people go to libraries when they can't find a quiet place to go.

I would be a little disappointed if I went to the library for solitude but found kids/adults playing games.

The library on Liberty is nice, but on Majesty it's just a shelf on the side of a wall, with a lot of traffic flow. Doesn't lend itself well to being a peaceful reading environment.

I enjoy libraries both for the environment, and for browsing books.

I was on the Brilliance mid December I enjoyed the library. It was small near the coffee bar. I hope it is still there.:eek:

It was still there in January but they had chairs in front of the bookcase. So, if people are sitting in the coffee bar area, they are blocking the books. Not a very good set up.

I hope not! I find the library to be a peaceful sanctuary, and I depend on the paperback exchange shelves. (Even though I am an avid reader, I have not moved on to e-readers. I prefer real books, and they are easier on my eyes.)

You are not alone. I MUCH prefer an actual book. I wouldnt have an e reader if I could get it for free. Actually I am amazed at how many people do like them. I get that they are easier to pack for a trip, but I love the feel of a book in my hand, nothing to replace it.

• 1 year later...

I understand they took out the library area to put a cabin, and that there are some shelves with books somewhere ?? I am one that enjoys the quiet and extra space, and I always drop by on the first day to pick out a book or two. It doesn't show up on the deck plans anywhere.

I also bring magazines to read and then leave them behind to share. I enjoy reading what others leave behind often Canadian or UK magazines. I hope this tradition continues in another area.

I'm a page turner and would miss not having a library on the ship.

We were on the Oasis in April and there were always a few people sitting and reading in the library.

I guess because so many people are going the techy way they can utilize that area for some other revenue based venue.

Do people still read books! I believe most have nooks and download them. I am glad RC has started using the space for more cabins etc. I rarely ever see anyone utilizing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a kindle, and have never actually downloaded anything on to it, 'call me old fashioned' but I still like an actual paper book. I think I read on this site that on the Explorer they had combined to library with the games room?

I have a kindle, and have never actually downloaded anything on to it, 'call me old fashioned' but I still like an actual paper book. I think I read on this site that on the Explorer they had combined to library with the games room?

The library on Explorer is still on deck 7, aft centrum. The card and game rooms on deck 14 were changed into Izumi.

I'm a page turner and would miss not having a library on the ship.

We were on the Oasis in April and there were always a few people sitting and reading in the library.

I guess because so many people are going the techy way they can utilize that area for some other revenue based venue.

We were on Oasis in April as well and it doubled as the LA office. During his hours, the only people there were folks waiting to see him

During my last cruise, I probably spent as much time in the library as I did on the pool deck, and I enjoyed it, even though I brought my own books. Comfy chairs. Quiet. Good view of the Promenade.

That said, they could probably replace the library with a grand suite, and have library books delivered to people by room-service. I can't imagine anyone complaining about that.

Edited by Diplomacy

I still prefer paper books, and so does my 16 yo, she sat in the library quite a few times the last couple of cruises.

But I have discovered that checking out e-books from my local library is VERY nice - a few clicks instead of a trip. And they have books that aren't available at the physical location. Still have not invested in a reader though, maybe some day.

I always take my own books but always donate them to the library after wards. If I do manage to finish my books I do love to browse the ship's library. I do hope they keep them, such a quiet restful area I always think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums