Changes to the Next Cruise Program

Under the new rules if you book something onboard with the LA, for example a 7 night balcony cabin ,you will get $100 OBC. However, under the new terms if you change the ship and sail date on that booking the OBC reverts to the open booking OBC which is $25 for 7 days regardless of category booked.

The flyer says that they reserve the right to do so. Given their system limitations, it's not a stretch to imagine that they won't be able to manage it. In any event, there's nothing to lose by booking onboard.

I agree. Why tie up money for an indefinite amount of time to get 12.5% perk for it? $25 OBC is almost an insult. I'd rather keep my money mine until I decide what I want to do. The flip side of the coin is they don't have to offer anything (and no one would have any reason to buy an NCC anyways).

No benefit whatsoever for 3-4 day cruises? That's lame as well.

If you book as soon as sailings are released (we do), then you're looking at tying up $100pp for 1-2 years, vs. tying up $250-500pp. We have up to 10 cruises booked at at time, and full deposits would be a hefty investment. I'd rather take the admittedly measly OBC than give them my money to invest.

I will subscribe to follow this thread. I knew NOTHING about this change when I took my cruise - March 8-15. I bought TWO NC Certificates (open bookings) on March 14th, our only sea day. The forms we were provided used all the OLD numbers - $100 off for a 7 day cruise. We book OV cabins, so this would represent a HUGE difference if they don't honor them at the $100 OBC amount. And as someone else said, there is NO WAY I'd have tied up $400 for a couple of years to get two $25 OBCs. Guess I'll be dropping my TA a note!

Same here but I bought them on the 15th! The confirmations I received are not dated so I have no idea about the OBC. I probably would have bought them anyway for the reduced deposit but it would have been nice to know. I would have booked an actual Galveston cruise for 2015 had they been open for booking!

If you book as soon as sailings are released (we do), then you're looking at tying up $100pp for 1-2 years, vs. tying up $250-500pp. We have up to 10 cruises booked at at time, and full deposits would be a hefty investment. I'd rather take the admittedly measly OBC than give them my money to invest.

That's a good point. In your case with so many pre-booked it makes sense.

I still think it's a bit of a lame move to cut off 3-4 day cruises though. I get that the 3 - 4 day market is a lot of new cruisers, but in such a price sensitive market without incentives to those willing to book early RCI is basically encouraging me to try other lines for those short getaways. I haven't read the entire thread but I think I've got the gist of it.

If you want an open booking, the amount of OBC as an interior cabin if you book a specific open booking. When we feel the cruise company getting stingy with us, we cut way down on our onboard purchases.

We'd purchased a few spa treatments, but when they got rid of the chocolates and the commemorative gift and didn't honor a coupon, the next cruise we cut our onboard purchases way down. In fact, we haven't gotten a spa treatment since they discontinued the chocolates, because we just got out of the habit.

OBC provides good will, decreasing it does the opposite.

Edited by knittinggirl

If you want an open booking, the amount of OBC as an interior cabin if you book a specific open booking. When we feel the cruise company getting stingy with us, we cut way down on our onboard purchases.

We'd purchased a few spa treatments, but when they got rid of the chocolates and the commemorative gift and didn't honor a coupon, the next cruise we cut our onboard purchases way down. In fact, we haven't gotten a spa treatment since they discontinued the chocolates, because we just got out of the habit.

I understand your ticked off but I'm thinking that competing with a cruiseline for their dollar would put a crimp in my vacation but that's just me. :D

The flyer says that they reserve the right to do so. Given their system limitations, it's not a stretch to imagine that they won't be able to manage it. In any event, there's nothing to lose by booking onboard.

I agree. Also the terms state if you change ship AND sail date. I asked what if you just change the sail date and are keeping the same ship.

The C and A rep did not know the answer and said I should email them my question. I assume that they meant if you make any changes to ship AND/OR sail date but the proof reading dept did not catch it.

Such a good point. And totally agree! We were visiting with some fellow cruisers on our last cruise. While they are Diamond Plus, they are no longer exclusively loyal to Royal. Their thought is the bean counters are alive and well at Royal. Also visited with a Pinnacle member on board and this member is finished with Royal once completing an upcoming cruise. Understandably, this is a company and the point is to make a profit. Too bad in visiting with these cruisers, it just feels like loyal to Royal cruisers are not as valued as once were. :(

OK...topic to be resumed. :)

Well wouldn't you know it; I was going to buy two of these on my April cruise as I loved the idea of getting OBC. Since I will only be in a inside cabin $25 really doesn't buy me a lot of anything but I do like the $100 deposit. I was so excited and now my bubble has burst.

I was going to do the same :

Now I am wondering if it will be worth while for me, I am thinking about booking a 13 night cruise in October just a Q grade inside cabin : what would my OBC be?

Is the grade of cabin also taken in to account as well? I am a little confused :confused:

I was going to do the same :

Now I am wondering if it will be worth while for me, I am thinking about booking a 13 night cruise in October just a Q grade inside cabin : what would my OBC be?

Is the grade of cabin also taken in to account as well? I am a little confused :confused:

You would get a $75 OBC if you booked a specific cruise or used a new open booking.

I'd rather take the admittedly measly OBC than give them my money to invest.

I don't mean any offense by saying this, but is it possible that is the problem? If a business is given less money to invest, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that would result in cutbacks?

I like the way NCL does it. You purchase a $200 FCC and they give you $100 to spend, right then. Good deal.

I sure hope the same bean counters that have driven Carnival into the depths of non-competitiveness have not started taking over RCI. A cheapened cruise because of the removal of tablecloths, cheap cuts of meat, crappy food disguised as "comfort food" is why I left Carnival for good. I sure hope RCI isn't going down that road.

It takes forever to earn a good reputation whether it be a person or a company. You can lose it overnight with one dumb move. Ask Carnival.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I like the way NCL does it. You purchase a $200 FCC and they give you $100 to spend, right then. Good deal.

I sure hope the same bean counters that have driven Carnival into the depths of non-competitiveness have not started taking over RCI. A cheapened cruise because of the removal of tablecloths, cheap cuts of meat, crappy food disguised as "comfort food" is why I left Carnival for good. I sure hope RCI isn't going down that road.

It takes forever to earn a good reputation whether it be a person or a company. You can lose it overnight with one dumb move. Ask Carnival.

Bravo Bravo!

Well said!

That would make a great e-mail to the entire Management team at Royal Caribbean.

I so agree! The bean counters are not concerned with future profits or losses. Their concern is the bottom line right now, without regard for the product's future reputation, or lack thereof. They will do their budget slashing and move on.

When I read your comment about lack of tablecloths, cheap cuts of meat, crappy food, etc, I thought you were talking about the "new" Chops, which we had the displeasure of trying on Navigator 3 weeks ago. I was taken aback when I realized you were referring to Carnival. I am disappointed to think that Royal is now mimicking Carnival's business model.

(No tablecloths in Chop's -- REALLY????:( )

I will subscribe to follow this thread. I knew NOTHING about this change when I took my cruise - March 8-15. I bought TWO NC Certificates (open bookings) on March 14th, our only sea day. The forms we were provided used all the OLD numbers - $100 off for a 7 day cruise. We book OV cabins, so this would represent a HUGE difference if they don't honor them at the $100 OBC amount. And as someone else said, there is NO WAY I'd have tied up $400 for a couple of years to get two $25 OBCs. Guess I'll be dropping my TA a note!

I also was on a cruise last week. I asked the LA onboard about this and great news.. your NC Certificates will be honored at the old OBC rate! I made sure of it.

Under the new rules if you book something onboard with the LA, for example a 7 night balcony cabin ,you will get $100 OBC. However, under the new terms if you change the ship and sail date on that booking the OBC reverts to the open booking OBC which is $25 for 7 days regardless of category booked.

Hey Molly... I asked a rep onboard about this. They do not switch the OBC on you if you make a change to your confirmed booking. In the terms in conditions it states "they waive the right to adjust the OBC if the ship/sail date is changed" meaning people who are abusing the open booking and changing the ship/sail date every couple of days and taking advantage of the system. No worries, your OBC will be safe :)

.... I was taken aback when I realized you were referring to Carnival. I am disappointed to think that Royal is now mimicking Carnival's business model.

Didn't the major policy changes regarding disallowing combinations of perks start around the time Royal hired the marketing exec from Carnival?

So, if you have NCC you purchased a few years ago the OBC is honored that was in place at the time you purchased the NCC? Is this correct?

Exactly! Anything created before 3/15/14 is honored at the old rate. I made sure to check on this.

I knew Patti would remember.:D

The press release was January 21, 2008. Since that date here are some major changes.......

7/1/2008 ~~ C&A Savings Certificate eliminated from being able to be combined with other benefits.

12/31/2008 ~~ Combining Shareholder benefit is eliminated.

9/1/2009 ~~ New Pricing Policy put into place where price drops will be honored up until 72 hours prior to departure. If price drop occurred prior to final, cruise fare will be adjusted. If it happens after final payment, an OBC will be issued.

12/31/2009 ~~ Elimination of combining any benefits including balcony discount, shareholder benefits, OBC, etc.

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will now be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

6/1/2010 ~~ Combining of benefits reinstated for bookings made on board. This includes an OBC for booking plus either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate. This does not include Shareholder Benefits.

Edited by cruisenfever

I so agree! The bean counters are not concerned with future profits or losses. Their concern is the bottom line right now, without regard for the product's future reputation, or lack thereof. They will do their budget slashing and move on.

When I read your comment about lack of tablecloths, cheap cuts of meat, crappy food, etc, I thought you were talking about the "new" Chops, which we had the displeasure of trying on Navigator 3 weeks ago. I was taken aback when I realized you were referring to Carnival. I am disappointed to think that Royal is now mimicking Carnival's business model.

I don't recall the no tablecloths in Chops, but it was pretty dark. We were in a fancy italian local restaurant and I looked under the table cloth, cheap plyboard tables on cheap legs. Yes! Tablecloths can also hide cheap furniture.

Back to the Mimick Carnival's business model, let's hope they don't mimick Carnival's business model in the maintenance department.

The press release was January 21, 2008. Since that date here are some major changes.......

7/1/2008 ~~ C&A Savings Certificate eliminated from being able to be combined with other benefits.

12/31/2008 ~~ Combining Shareholder benefit is eliminated.

9/1/2009 ~~ New Pricing Policy put into place where price drops will be honored up until 72 hours prior to departure. If price drop occurred prior to final, cruise fare will be adjusted. If it happens after final payment, an OBC will be issued.

12/31/2009 ~~ Elimination of combining any benefits including balcony discount, shareholder benefits, OBC, etc.

5/17/2010 ~~ Another New Pricing Policy takes affect..... now only price drops up until final payment will now be honored. If, after final payment, a cabin category higher than what was originally booked is priced the same as or lower than, an upgrade can be requested.

6/1/2010 ~~ Combining of benefits reinstated for bookings made on board. This includes an OBC for booking plus either a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate. This does not include Shareholder Benefits.

Wow Patti, you're good!!!! Thanks for the info:) And the trip down Memory Lane