Clean before you cruise?

runner2013

Does anyone else turn into the Tasmanian Devil several days before they leave for a cruise? I'm flying out this Friday afternoon and along with my packing I've started doing laundry & cleaning my house so it's nice and fresh when I come home. :p

Ditto. I usually clean before I leave so I don't return to a mess. :-)

I also make sure there is enough packaged or frozen food on hand so that I don't have to go to the store for a day or two after I return.

Edited by mtwingcpa

Clean sheets, tidy kitchen. Absolutely!

Nothing better than falling into your own bed with fresh sheets and a cool pillow when you've been traveling all day.

WHAT? No chocolates on the pillow????? :eek:

Actually, I clean too-heaven forbid something happens and the police/firefighters have to enter the house!

Since there is usually 2 to 4 people still in the house when I leave I do clean it but I know it won't be clean when I get back. The last 2 times I have hired a cleaning service to come in the day I come home so when I walk in the door everything has been freshly cleaned. I hate coming home to a dirty house which has been the normal. The last 2 times have been heaven.

tigercat

Yes, I definitely deep-clean the house before leaving for a cruise (or any vacation)! The end of a much-anticipated vacation is always a little sad anyway, and it's a bummer to come home to see dirty dishes in the sink or to crawl into a less-than-fresh bed. The dirty clothes in our suitcase are enough with which to deal!

My rules:

- The whole house must be clean when we leave (and I don't mind working myself to death before we leave -- my husband always drives, so I can nap on the trip to the port).

- We must have several delicious homemade meals in the freezer. Going back to work is tough enough without being forced to cook on your first day back.

- We have a friend come over to turn on the heat (or air), leave milk and bread in the kitchen and flowers on the table. And I often offer to do the same for friends before they travel.

Actually, I clean too-heaven forbid something happens and the police/firefighters have to enter the house!

Yes! Heaven forbid a fireman run into my home because it's burning to the ground and sees an unmade bed or dust bunnies:eek:

Yes I do, I dont want to come home to a house where I have to clean after being on a cruise. I have cats so we have someone come over and spend time with them. So the only real thing we have to do is laundry and get the drop mop out to pick up the cat hair.

Of course! No one wants to come home to a mess that's a week old! Ick! Must have clean sheets to come home to...no footprints on the carpets....no dishes in the dishwasher....

I can't imagine anyone who would go away and not straighten their home! But, just because I can't imagine it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen!!!

My husband thinks I'm crazy but I have to leave an immaculate house, too. Before walking out the door, the last thing I do is pour a little lemon-fresh pine into each toilet and the house smells so nice and clean when we arrive home. It's almost, but not quite, nice actually coming home!

I definitely clean my apartment before heading out on my cruise. I don't mind it messy day-to-day, but when I'm returning home with sunburn on my back, blisters on my feet, and a swaying sensation in my head, I want to come to a clean apartment. Especially considering that I live in a landlocked region (hence my name), which means having to fly. So after waking up early to debark in time after a night of last-minute partying, waiting in the airport, and sitting on a long flight, the less work I got waiting for me at home, the better.

I also do this. The day before flying out, I prepare a meal of comfort food (like fried chicken with mac and cheese) and buy a few craft beers, then freeze the food and put the beers in the fridge. This way, I have a complete meal ready for me, minus the microwaving, as soon as I change out of my travel clothes. I do the same with next day's breakfast.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

LOL you sound like my Mother, And yes My house is cleaned from top to bottom before leaving on a cruise, wish it was always that clean :p

My house is cleaned from top to bottom.

My wash basket is empty, all clothes ironed and put away, all my bills are paid for the next few weeks away BUT! I have a 20 year old daughter still living at home and she has OCD. So she sets about bleaching every where, even cleans my oven and hob with a tooth brush, then she's on her hands a knees bleaching my kitchen and bathroom floor, cleans and polishes my suit, washes all my paint work down and I never come home to any of her washing as she always does it.

Should go away more often haha

LOL you sound like my Mother, And yes My house is cleaned from top to bottom before leaving on a cruise, wish it was always that clean :p

My house is never cleaner than when I leave for vacation. Not that it's spotless, but it's nice to see it cleaner than normal (after one trip, for a brief moment, I thought I had been robbed :p)

Also, I have someone come in to feed the cat. I know she also plays with him, so I might actually wash the floor before I leave.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Okay, I'll be the one to go against the grain here....

I used to try to clean my house before leaving for a major trip. But I was running myself ragged. Between working full time (usually up to the day I left, so as to maximize my vacation days), packing, double checking all the paperwork and notes, getting the dog boarded, and being a single mom, there weren't enough hours in the day to do it all -- not if I wanted to get any sleep, that is....

A couple of years ago, after arriving at my destination absolutely beat and not being able to really enjoy the first couple days of my time in Rome and my Mediterranean cruise due to exhaustion, I realized I had to put a few things lower on my list. Cleaning became one of them (as I don't have much choice in the others...)

Now, if I have to come home to a less than sparkling house I can deal with it, because I was able to fully enjoy my vacation. My motto these days is: I can always change the sheets when I get home, but I can't always enjoy walking around Rome. So save the energy for what's important.

Edited by cruisemom42

I don't go crazy for days, but I definitely turn it up a notch and spend an extra hour or so right before a vacation; mopping, vacuum, get the kitchen and living room squared away, make sure all garbage cans empty, patios cleared and swept. I too am usually exhausted when returning from travel and after figuring out why my Seapass doesn't open the front door it's pleasant / more relaxing to at least walk in to a clean home.

I always check the onions and potatoes. Those things smell when they rot.

I empty the fridge of anything that might turn nasty and put things like onions i there.

I love coming back to a clean house --it extends the vacation for a few days. One thing I buy before we leave is some UHT milk that can be stored on the shelf so we can at least have a cup of tea.

My house is cleaned from top to bottom.

My wash basket is empty, all clothes ironed and put away, all my bills are paid for the next few weeks away BUT! I have a 20 year old daughter still living at home and she has OCD. So she sets about bleaching every where, even cleans my oven and hob with a tooth brush, then she's on her hands a knees bleaching my kitchen and bathroom floor, cleans and polishes my suit, washes all my paint work down and I never come home to any of her washing as she always does it.

Should go away more often haha

Any chance she'd be interested in housesitting. ? :)

Does anyone else turn into the Tasmanian Devil several days before they leave for a cruise? I'm flying out this Friday afternoon and along with my packing I've started doing laundry & cleaning my house so it's nice and fresh when I come home. :p

I do the same. There is enough to do with laundry and mail when we get home.