What if I don't like some of the food?

If I ordered something to try new dishes, say lobster, and I don't like it..... Can I tell the waiter to bring me something else? I don't want to be rude but I want to try new foods.

Any suggestions or comments?:confused:

Yes, you can. If you do it EVERY meal you might get a rather bad reputation with waitstaff, but if you happen on occasion to order something you don't like, by all means ask for something else.

If I ordered something to try new dishes, say lobster, and I don't like it..... Can I tell the waiter to bring me something else? I don't want to be rude but I want to try new foods.

No problem, just tell the waiter you want something else.

As long as you are at a complimentary dining venue (not sure, but I think a second entrée in a specialty has an upcharge), then, yes. Conversely, if you love the lobster, you can have two or three.

We have always noticed that if we didn't finish a dish or put it to the side because we weren't crazy about it the wait staff was right there asking if we would like something else. They want you to be happy and enjoy your meal. Just be polite about it. It is rare for us though that we didn't like something.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have always noticed that if we didn't finish a dish or put it to the side because we weren't crazy about it the wait staff was right there asking if we would like something else. They want you to be happy and enjoy your meal. Just be polite about it. It is rare for us though that we didn't like something.

Our last cruise last week was like that, the waitstaff volunteered to bring me something else if I didn't look like I was going to finish.

They even offered a second lobster when I ordered my first o lobster night - I politely said "no" but now think I should have taken them up on the offer.:D

Thats one of the great things about a cruise , you can try food that you have never tried before and if you do not like it, your waiter can bring you someting else and they do it with a smile , but food is good and I doubt you will need to do that.

You definitely can. In the "olden days" days of cruising, if you left a half eaten meal, the waiters would automatically go back and pick up a different dish or two regardless if you wanted it half the time.

Now they are more likely to ask rather than force food on you. As long as you aren't doing it every night they typically are very accommodating.

A couple of times the maitre'd has noticed I was filipino and had the chef whip up a filipino dish for me, as many of the staff are filipino and they make lots of filipino food.

You definitely can. In the "olden days" days of cruising, if you left a half eaten meal, the waiters would automatically go back and pick up a different dish or two regardless if you wanted it half the time.

Now they are more likely to ask rather than force food on you. As long as you aren't doing it every night they typically are very accommodating.

A couple of times the maitre'd has noticed I was filipino and had the chef whip up a filipino dish for me, as many of the staff are filipino and they make lots of filipino food.

+1 for use of 'Olden days'.... haven't heard that in a loooong time. :D

That is beyond awesome!

I'm guessing the chefs on a ship aren't any different than in a land-based restaurant. They want people to love their food.

That is beyond awesome!

I'm guessing the chefs on a ship aren't any different than in a land-based restaurant. They want people to love their food.

It has to truly be an outstanding crew typically for this to happen with a top notch head waiter.

This hasn't happened on RCI in a while, but did happen in April 2013 on the disney fantasy. They made chicken adobo which was excellent. Truly amazing service on that ship.

It has to truly be an outstanding crew typically for this to happen with a top notch head waiter.

This hasn't happened on RCI in a while, but did happen in April 2013 on the disney fantasy. They made chicken adobo which was excellent. Truly amazing service on that ship.

The adobo may have been brought up from the crew galley, as this is pretty much a staple.:D (I like adobo, but twice a week gets old, but then everythin on the crew menu gets old after a couple of months:rolleyes:)But nice to see the wait staff looking after the passengers in a unique way.

Our kids have been cruising since they were pretty young - we have always enjoyed that they could try new things on cruises....although I don't think they ever didn't like something. They moved off the kids menu pretty early. It was just reassuring for them to know if they didn't like it - they could get something else.

Keep it simple and easy.

If you see something that you would like to try, order it. But, also order another main entre of something you know you will like at the same time.

I do it almost every night without any problem.

As for getting something after your main dinners have been served is a bit more work for the wait staff. They have no problem grabbing as many entres your table orders at the same time and bringing them altogether.

I love the MDR. Also, do not be afraid to order 2 or 3 appetizers.

As long as you are at a complimentary dining venue (not sure, but I think a second entrée in a specialty has an upcharge), then, yes. Conversely, if you love the lobster, you can have two or three.

We've been with folks who ordered an alternate entree when the first didn't suit them at an upcharge restaurant. We have also been with a group where we all ordered an entree (and like them) but several of us were curious about another and ordered an extra entree to try/share, also at an upcharge restaurant.

Similar story: On a cruise a while back I had a touch of seasickness. Wasn't actually sick, per se, but the mere thought of food made me feel worse. Went on to a specialty restaurant with my BF and 4 friends, planning to just sip a ginger ale and not eat. Well my BF started telling them I needed chicken noodle soup because I didn't fell well. I didn't want the staff to go to any trouble since there was nothing like that on the menu, so I shushed him and assured the waiter I was fine with my ginger ale. Well when they brought everyone else's entrees, sure enough they showed up with a little crock of chicken noodle soup for me. Granted, it's made from pretty basic ingredients and isn't a complicated dish, but I was nonetheless impressed with the level of service shown.

Absolutely!

This is one of the perks about cruising that I like: I can try new foods and, if I don't care for the dish, I can order a "staple" that I know I'll like instead without having to pay for both, like I normally would at a land-based restaurant.

One night, while we were on our Alaskan cruise, eggplant parmasan was on the menu. Now, as I child, I detested eggplant and haven't wanted to pay to try it again as an adult. Knowing that my tastes change as I age and not really recalling what I didn't like about eggplant, the MDR was the perfect place to give my tastebuds another chance. I informed the waiter about my childhood experience (so not to potentially offend him if and when I didn't eat more than a couple bites) and said that I was going to order the eggplant. He was understanding and checked in with me 3-4 times after he served it to ensure that I truly liked it and didn't want a different entree. Now I like eggplant! I even planted it in my garden this spring! :)

Edited by cruisePAC

Also... you can order an appetizer in a 'dinner' size portion. My husband always ordered the scallop risotto for dinner. He also preferred any of the fish without the sauces... easy to do. Sometimes they'd bring the sauce on the side, but they always accommodated any special requests he had. The staff is so flexible... if they can do it.. they will do it! Try everything.. .enjoy your cruise!

What you do is apologize to the waiter and ask him or her for another item off the menu.

You are not obligated to finish your food. Just taste the item and if you don't like it you can leave it on your plate. If your still hungry order another entree etc.

Yes,and enjoy! We had a hoot trying different things at our table for 10. 'Tho we did make that mistake of saying on the last night to bring 4 deserts for everyone! You could imagine our faces when they brought out 40 deserts trays! Were we ever stuffed!

Let see if the picture works..

IMGP2426.jpg

Our kids have been cruising since they were pretty young - we have always enjoyed that they could try new things on cruises....although I don't think they ever didn't like something. They moved off the kids menu pretty early. It was just reassuring for them to know if they didn't like it - they could get something else.

Agreed

Also sometimes if there is something she sees that's she is not sure on we ask if it is possible to have a small order of it on a side plate. That way she can order something she knows she will eat as a full order but ask for the other dish without all the sides as the sides can be filling. That way there is not too much food wastage if she doesn't like and isn't complaining of stomach ache if she tries to eat two full meals:D

this has always been my experience too. if they notice that you dont like something, they are very quick to offer to bring something else