Tipping for Room Service

Newbury newbie

Tipping is never necessary and I believe that those who deliver room service (it isn't always your steward) share in the tips all servers receive. We always appreciate the effort to bring our order in a timely manner and so we bring several $1 bills with us to use when we order room service. The amount is up to you but a a few dollars will always be appreciated.

Are you expected to tip the steward for room service? I read in one of the cruise books that this wasn't necessary.

You do not have to tip but always give them two or three dollars. If the tray

heavy give them a little more. If it is the room steward I don't tip when they bring the tray.

I always get room service breakfast when in Concierce Class- I tipp two dollars for each served breakfast! I love to have breakfast in the cabin and therefore avoid to join the buffet with all the hussle and bussle. Breakfast in the MDR takesssssssssssssss sooooooooooooo long and I am absolutley no morning person who likes conversation early in the morning! Oh I got carried away..! The stewards always seemed to happy about it. I am happy- they shall be happy also. LOL

It depends who delivers it.

When our own cabin steward (or butler, when we have one) brings it, we don't tip anything at that time, but just increase the extra tip at the end of the cruise proportionately, depending on how many times they do it.

When someone else delivers the room service order, we always tip right then, realizing that we may not see that person again. The next time we order room service it may be someone else who delivers it.

If its a pot of coffee and a croissant, maybe $2 tip.

A full breakfast for two, thats a heavy tray to carry from the back of the ship, deck 3 or whatever to the front of the ship on say deck 11, for that we go $5.

We usually tip as we go, anytime we ask for something extra, so the room attendant for example knows we aren't going to stiff him at the end.

Tipping is one of THE MOST contentious subjects here, by the way, second only to dress in the MDR on formal night....