Shame on Princess in San Pedro today

avalon1025

San Pedro crown delayed boarding, never told even though Princess has all our contact info. No elite line, thousands on one single line to board. How about some communication Princess. I think now I know why I haven't sailed this line in years. If it's noro, say so. To say nothing is unacceptable

We are just departing the pier after our Bon Voyage Experience was cancelled. Both Crown and Star had delayed boarding today. We got a call on Thursday telling us that boarding would be delayed until noon, but it was pushed back to 2:00 by the time we arrived. I had to call Santa Clarita to confirm that the BVE was cancelled, as the pier staff didn't have any information. Not the best communication.

Star was supposed be delayed boarding until 4:00, but as we walked back from our terrific lunch at the Catalina Grill, she was boarding all decks. The line for checkin on Crown doubles back and goes all the way to the Iowa at this point. The sun is out and I imagine that people are hot.

I assume that both ships are being deep cleaned - almost all of Star's balcony doors are open, perhaps to let bleach fumes dissipate.

We are just departing the pier after our Bon Voyage Experience was cancelled. Both Crown and Star had delayed boarding today. We got a call on Thursday telling us that boarding would be delayed until noon, but it was pushed back to 2:00 by the time we arrived. I had to call Santa Clarita to confirm that the BVE was cancelled, as the pier staff didn't have any information. Not the best communication.

Star was supposed be delayed boarding until 4:00, but as we walked back from our terrific lunch at the Catalina Grill, she was boarding all decks. The line for checkin on Crown doubles back and goes all the way to the Iowa at this point. The sun is out and I imagine that people are hot.

I assume that both ships are being deep cleaned - almost all of Star's balcony doors are open, perhaps to let bleach fumes dissipate.

Actually, we were to begin boarding at 2. (THe Star) See below:

2:00 PM - Caribe & Dolphin Decks / Cabins beginning with C and D

3:00 PM - Lido Deck & Aloha Deck / Cabins beginning with L and A

4:00 PM - Baja Deck & Emerald Deck / Cabins beginning with B and E

5:00 PM - Plaza Deck / Cabins beginning with P

It's good to know we will kinda board on time. Thanks for posting the info.

Edited by Sillyjilly

San Pedro crown delayed boarding, never told even though Princess has all our contact info. No elite line, thousands on one single line to board. How about some communication Princess. I think now I know why I haven't sailed this line in years. If it's noro, say so. To say nothing is unacceptable

Your delay could have been on any ship that required a deep cleaning to insure your health. The elite line? I guess after so long a wait in an outside line it would have caused some really big passenger issues to single out who boards first so they just started the line in.

Your delay could have been on any ship that required a deep cleaning to insure your health. The elite line? I guess after so long a wait in an outside line it would have caused some really big passenger issues to single out who boards first so they just started the line in.

Perhaps Princess could let people know what is causing the delay? Perhaps their shoreside people shouldn't be throwing their hands up stating I don't really work for Princess. Perhaps after hours in line in the hot sun they should have water? I could go on but this is a total embarrassment for this company

The shoreside people actually don't work for Princess, but that doesn't excuse a lack of communication. As I have noted many times, communication, especially when things are not going right, is an ongoing issue for Princess.

What I can't understand in situations like this is why people stay in line?? Find some shade, and when things start moving, get in line then...

Perhaps Princess could let people know what is causing the delay? Perhaps their shoreside people shouldn't be throwing their hands up stating I don't really work for Princess. Perhaps after hours in line in the hot sun they should have water? I could go on but this is a total embarrassment for this company

This same thing happened to my in San Diego on Holland America. We sat around for hours and hours waiting to board. Sometimes I don't think they have time to notify us?

I'll be on the Star and we were given notification and I did think it odd that the Crown wasn't.

Actually, we were to begin boarding at 2. (THe Star)

It's good to know we will kinda board on time. Thanks for posting the info.

4:00 is what the guy on the Crown side was telling us. Glad you started sooner!

The shoreside people actually don't work for Princess, but that doesn't excuse a lack of communication. As I have noted many times, communication, especially when things are not going right, is an ongoing issue for Princess.

What I can't understand in situations like this is why people stay in line?? Find some shade, and when things start moving, get in line then...

There isn't enough shade for 3,000 people outside the terminal. And this was at berth 92, where one goes through security upon entering the building, so there no way to open up the doors and let a lot of people in all at once. Princess was offering a bus to Ports of Call, but there really isn't much to do there except eat at some mediocre expensive restaurants. I'm quite surprised that they didn't suggest goiNg vivre to the Iowa, but they weren't paying for that.

I have to think that they knew this was happening a few days in advance - there must have been a dozen full busses lined up to take people to PoC, and you don't order those on the fly. I wonder if the rep who calls me misread her communication and that she should have told us 2:00. Oh well. We had a nice lunch and the group wants to try again.

It is never the best when two ships at in San Pedro on the same day. I try to avoid that. In addition, it appears that both the Crown and Star have had some Noro issues which adds more to turn around time. It appears Princess should have communicated better, at least to some people. Many times people ignore the "staggered" boarding recommendations but this appears to have been more than a "recommendation".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The line for checkin on Crown doubles back and goes all the way to the Iowa at this point. The sun is out and I imagine that people are hot.
Sounds like a typical San Francisco boarding experience.

It is never the best when two ships at in San Pedro on the same day. I try to avoid that. In addition, it appears that both the Crown and Star have had some Noro issues which adds more to turn around time. It appears Princess should have communicated better, at least to some people. Many times people ignore the "staggered" boarding recommendations but this appears to have been more than a "recommendation".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Special thanks for your thoughts on two ships in San Pedro.

They sent it out to TAs a couple days ago who in turn should have sent it to clients. I have clients who boarded today and were told to arrive later than the originally scheduled time.

They sent it out to TAs a couple days ago who in turn should have sent it to clients. I have clients who boarded today and were told to arrive later than the originally scheduled time.

Did they tell you why boarding was delayed?

If I remember correctly, Princess asked for my cell phone number, home number and e-mail address even though I booked through a travel agent. I understand the importance of travel agents, but shouldn't such messages (or any emergency message) be sent directly from the cruise line to the passenger when time is of the essence? Or does Princess communicate directly with only those passengers who didn't book through a travel agent?

Edited by Salacia

We are on the 4/26 Crown coastal. We were emailed a couple of months ago that boarding would begin at 1PM and no reason was given. I called our agent who checked to see what the reason was and was told at the time that they were unaware of the reason. I have a call into her and we'll see what they tell her about next week. My wife is in a wheelchair and sitting in the sun could be a major problem for her. After 20+ cruises, mostly with Princess this is truly not the way Princess used to run the show, very disappointing to say the least, someone should be held accountable for dropping the ball..

The crown, via the bridge cam pulled away from the dock at 5:35 today, not too far off schedule. The Star was another hour or so behind.

Edited by rtlk

Did they tell you why boarding was delayed?

If I remember correctly, Princess asked for my cell phone number, home number and e-mail address even though I booked through a travel agent. I understand the importance of travel agents, but shouldn't such messages (or any emergency message) be sent directly from the cruise line to the passenger when time is of the essence? Or does Princess communicate directly with only those passengers who didn't book through a travel agent?

They've been deep cleaning on turn around days on the last three cruises. I've had clients on each cruise with delays. They send out mass emails to agents. I'm not sure about passengers who don't use an agent. I'll see if i can find out.

We are on the 4/26 Crown coastal. We were emailed a couple of months ago that boarding would begin at 1PM and no reason was given.

1 PM is the time they normally say boarding will start for every cruise even though it will start by noon unless there are any problems (Coast Guard inspection, late arrival to port, extra cleaning needed, etc.).