Seasickness on Allure??

kcr526

This will be my third cruise, but first on RCCL. I'm a bit intimidated by the size of the Allure, and I'm concerned about seasickness. How much do you feel the ship move? On my first cruise I did get seasick, but I think it was due to cabin placement. On my second one I didn't get sick, but I was more prepared. I'm just paranoid, I guess. Our cabin will be on deck 3, interior. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You have already minimized your motion by getting a low deck. If you are midship, then that's even better. However, the ship's motion is totally dependent on the weather, and even Allure is miniscule compared to the ocean.

I got seasick on my very first cruise and have had a couple of nauseous times since. I take Bonine starting the day before the cruise and keep taking it til out last day. Even on Allure, you can feel motion. One day on Allure in Nov, I did feel the ship moving, but it wasn't an issue. Don't let anyone tell you you absolutely can't get sick on Allure. Think about it, the ship is still a lot smaller than the ocean:rolleyes: But, I did feel a lot less motion on Allure than other ships. Sea state can and will impact motion even on the biggest ships.

And, as I've said before, your cabin location is only important for when you are actually in it. Remember, you will be out and about all over the ship so cabin location only matters for a small part plus the reality is, laying down helps a lot if you do feel sick.

Edited by BND

following the advice from members of this forums, my wife and I took dramamine a day before and then every day while on the FOS a few years back. We'll do the same this time around as we sail the Allure this coming Sunday. Definitely a little thing to remember that can have a BIG payoff if you're prone to getting dizzy with motion/movement!

Thanks for the replies! This time around we are midship (I learned that pretty quickly after being all the way forward on the first one!). I also plan on taking bonine and ginger pills the whole time. It just caught me off guard the first time since I've never had any kind of motion sickness, and that was on a small ship compared to the Allure.

My husband laughs at me bc I can tell the second we start moving. The sway of the ship also stays with me a couple days after we get home. I guess I'm just weird like that. :)

The larger the ship, the less perceived motion you will feel in the same seas as a smaller ship....but, you will be on a ship and it does move! Anything under 8 ft. swells should be hardly noticable.

While room placement does play a factor, you won't be in your cabin 80 % of the time...you'll be out and about!

Bring a preventative, like Bonine or Dramamine...and if you do get seasick, the infirmary has stuff, too!!

I've never been seasick, but I do get that continuing motion at home....sometimes, it lasts about 2 weeks! Doesn't make me ill...just dizzy!

Edited by cb at sea

My very first cruise was on Oasis in September. We were on deck 12 all the way forward. I couldn't even tell you we were on a ship. A couple of times I could feel the ship move but not much. We were on the Norwegian Breakaway in March and I definitely felt that ship move a lot more but the weather was a factor for sure.

This will be my third cruise, but first on RCCL. I'm a bit intimidated by the size of the Allure, and I'm concerned about seasickness. How much do you feel the ship move? On my first cruise I did get seasick, but I think it was due to cabin placement. On my second one I didn't get sick, but I was more prepared. I'm just paranoid, I guess. Our cabin will be on deck 3, interior. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We wear sea bands. They seem to work for my family. We didn't feel the motion of the ocean on Allure last week.

We wear sea bands. They seem to work for my family...

^This. I prefer to use them as opposed to medication. I took Dramamine or Bonine or something (!) once on a cruise, and I was loopy for 2 days following. I certainly will not do that again as I feel I lost part of my vacation to the effects of a medication I took that was supposed to help me. :p I wore the Sea Bands during my pregnancies many years ago, and during my chemotherapy last year. They definitely help. :)

Thanks for the replies! This time around we are midship (I learned that pretty quickly after being all the way forward on the first one!). I also plan on taking bonine and ginger pills the whole time. It just caught me off guard the first time since I've never had any kind of motion sickness, and that was on a small ship compared to the Allure.

My husband laughs at me bc I can tell the second we start moving. The sway of the ship also stays with me a couple days after we get home. I guess I'm just weird like that. :)

I strongly recommend using sea bands before you use bonine. You may well find that you don't need the medication at all.

I walked like a drunken sailor for three days after my first cruise. So you're not the only one.

We wear sea bands. They seem to work for my family. We didn't feel the motion of the ocean on Allure last week.

Sea bands do not work for me. Bonine/less drowsy Dramamine have almost no side effects for most people. OP, avoid regular dramamine because it will probably make you sleepy and loopy. I'm not sure why some people are so wary of Bonine because all it really is is an antihistamine that levels out your inner ear. It's really no different than taking allergy medicine which almost everyone can tolerate well. Everyone has to find what works for them and I would never just depend on one thing I had never tried.

Everyone has to find what works for them and I would never just depend on one thing I had never tried.

I don't think I would be able to use the sea bands and nothing else. I would be too nervous. Unfortunately, since I have gotten sick previously, now that's all I can think about. Half of it is a mind game for me. On my last cruise I had a routine of bonine and ginger pills. That seemed to work, but it didn't stop me from getting anxious when I could really feel the ship moving.

It's nice to hear that since it's such a big ship, it isn't felt as much. In my mind I thought it would be the opposite. :)

I walked like a drunken sailor for three days after my first cruise. So you're not the only one.

Lol! Good to know. :) After our last cruise, once we got home I was just sitting on the couch eating dinner, when my husband noticed I was swaying. It's definitely a weird feeling!

We had our second sailing on Oasis in March. The first time I didn't feel a thing all week. Second time we went through a cold front with 10-15ft swells. Didn't get sick, but many weren't so luck. In 12 cruises I had never experienced seas that bad..

What you will find with Allure/Oasis is more of a side to side motion when it is windy. Think about it, you have a 20 story or so building and the wind hits it on the side it will sway.

We have been on Allure twice, only one day total did we (and a lot of others) notice the movement and it was definitely the wind causing it. None of us were sick but plenty of others were. It was a very different feel from the normal motion you feel from the waves.

I don't think I would be able to use the sea bands and nothing else. I would be too nervous. Unfortunately, since I have gotten sick previously, now that's all I can think about. Half of it is a mind game for me. On my last cruise I had a routine of bonine and ginger pills. That seemed to work, but it didn't stop me from getting anxious when I could really feel the ship moving.

It's nice to hear that since it's such a big ship, it isn't felt as much. In my mind I thought it would be the opposite. :)

You can always take another Bonnie if you are feeling the movement or getting nausea...I have only done that on our Eadtern Caribbean cruise on the mariner which is wayyy smaller than allure...and it helped

I start Bonnie the night before the cruise and my husband and I have never had any ill effects or tiredness

I see you are going Mediterranean how exciting :)