Oasis 3 & 4 vs. Quantum & anthem

Hearing that RCCL again will repeat Oasis with Oasis 3 and 4. If the original Oasis worked so well why the change to Quantum? How much different is Quantum from Oasis?

Little confused:confused:

Capacity wise, who is larger Oasis or Quantum?

MARAPRINCE

Hearing that RCCL again will repeat Oasis with Oasis 3 and 4. If the original Oasis worked so well why the change to Quantum? How much different is Quantum from Oasis?

Little confused:confused:

Capacity wise, who is larger Oasis or Quantum?

MARAPRINCE

Oasis is much larger than Quantum and is limited as to what cruise ports it can use.

Oasis is much larger than Quantum and is limited as to what cruise ports it can use.

Where will all these Oasis ships cruise too???? They need to be doing some dredging in some ports so that they can have more places to go!

My thoughts exactly! You can only go to the same ports so many times. It's not like the sailing is a transatlantic crossing for 6 days with no ports.

MARAPRINCE

A lot of the Asian ports (Hong Kong, Singapore, KL, Shanghai, ...) have been built with these mega ships in mind. There are other ports like Gibraltar that have long docks that would be ok.

Remember as long as you aren't starting or ending the trip there you may not need much more than a dock. Even if you do need to embark then look what they are doing with Rome and Spain, splitting embarkation in two to reduce the load.

If you wanted to get exotic you could make every second of the current itinerary in the med duck up to Southhampton so that there are 3 embark ports and you have different length cruises on offer.

• 3 months later...

I've yet to sale Oasis class.

But I would love to some day. Every time I cruise on a non-Oasis class I feel like I'm somehow missing part of the complete "WOW" experience.

Interestingly I have not had the same reaction to Quantum. I won't avoid it if the price and itinerary are right, but I just haven't had the same excitement I felt for Oasis class. Quantum just feels gimmicky somehow.

We LOVED our Allure (Oasis class) cruise! The ship is like nothing else out there. There are a lot of areas that are open to the sky, however, there are not many sea views, unfortunately.

Quantum class will be nothing like this class, which is divided into "neighborhoods".

I'm wondering if there are going to be any modifications to the Oasis 3 and 4, to that will bring Quantum elements in (and maybe some much needed sea views).

On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, we sailed on the Serenade (Radiance class), and it was one of our favorites of all time.

She was A much smaller ship, with tons of glass and sea views. She was just a wonderful ship.

I'm hoping that Quantum will be like a large Radiance class ship, with a lot more dining and entertainment options.

The Oasis Class is very, very different than the Quantum Class. Even with all the technological advancements with Quantum, the basic layout and general arrangement is fairly traditional.

The Oasis Class was and still is a groundbreaking design. There is simply nothing like them at sea, anywhere. The extreme width of these ships enabled some very interesting interior spaces. A very wide Royal Promenade, a Central Park, and a Boardwalk. The Central Park and Boardwalk each have interior balcony cabins looking down on the space. Again this is only possible because of the extreme width of these ships. Quantum will have nothing like that, and again the overall design is much more traditional. The width and length of Quantum is nothing extraordinary, but the design does enable a lot of balcony cabin decks between the the public lounge decks and the upper pool deck. The Quantum design really pushes the limit in that regard, with 8 full balcony decks. The prior record with any ship has been 7. Unfortunately adding more balcony decks is great for the operating company (more revenue), but usually means more crowded outdoor upper deck space as that remains static no matter how many decks you add.

The great thing about the Oasis class is that the added width also benefited the upper outdoor deck space, which is quite spacious even on the most crowded of days. I think the upper outdoor deck space on QUANTUM is going to be VERY crowded on a warm Caribbean sea day, especially with only one outdoor pool.

To give you an idea of just how wide the Oasis Class is, here is a pic I took in St. Maarten. ALLURE OF THE SEAS is to the left, and the brand new ROYAL PRINCESS to the right. ROYAL PRINCESS is quite a large ship at 142,000 gt and her physical dimensions (length & width) are fairly similar to the Quantum Class (slightly smaller).

10939153695_cd1dab3440_z.jpg

The great thing about the Oasis class is that the added width also benefited the upper outdoor deck space, which is quite spacious even on the most crowded of days. I think the upper outdoor deck space on QUANTUM is going to be VERY crowded on a warm Caribbean sea day, especially with only one outdoor pool.

That's one of my most significant concerns about the Quantum Class. Now that we have all of these excellent pictures of the pool deck area it's plain to see that the real estate is quite limited... I'm not even sure it looks as large as the Freedom Class pool deck area? Curious to hear other takes on that. While the retractable roof pool will help, the roof looks very similar to the roof on the S Class ship and it looks like there will still be many shady areas even when the roof is open.

One of our favorite things about Oasis and Allure, our favorite ships, is the pool deck. It's so nice not having to stress about finding space on a sunny sea day because there's so much of it in the immediate vicinity of the pools (including one deck up). Crowded / undersized pool decks are a major reason we're steering clear of Carnival's most recent ships after a bad experience on the Breeze. I'll be quite concerned about the pool real estate on the Quantum Class until I hear otherwise, especially after seeing these pictures.

Edited by Dave85

That's one of my most significant concerns about the Quantum Class. Now that we have all of these excellent pictures of the pool deck area it's plain to see that the real estate is quite limited... I'm not even sure it looks as large as the Freedom Class pool deck area? Curious to hear other takes on that.

No the pool deck won't be as spacious as the Freedom Class. Remember the Freedom Class is still quite wide (wider than QUANTUM). It's wide enough to have a Royal Promenade with Promenade view inside cabins looking down on it. QUANTUM is not wide enough for that feature.

Also keep in mind the Freedom Class is wide enough to have two full size pools side by side. In addition there is another outdoor pool aft in the H2O Zone and another full size pool forward in the solarium. So four full size pools. QUANTUM will have 1/2 the amount of pools for more passengers.

No problem I suppose while the ship is in China or other colder climates, but not ideal if cruising the Caribbean. I think the pool deck and single outdoor pool will be extremely crowded on hot sunny sea days, and to me the pool deck is the single biggest disappointment of the Quantum design. What a downgrade from Oasis & Freedom Class or even the ENCHANTMENT which has two outdoor pools and an enclosed solarium pool for almost 1/2 the amount of passengers. I think QUANTUM is going to be an amazing ship and I can't wait to sail on her, but as a person who loves to swim and sunbathe on a cruise the pool deck is a major disappointment.

One key difference is that Oasis class is designed for warm weather sailing with many outdoor spaces while Quantum class are designed for cooler weather sailing as there are more indoor or covered spaces.

That's the key, Two70º is essentially an indoor take on the Aquatheater.

Where will all these Oasis ships cruise too???? They need to be doing some dredging in some ports so that they can have more places to go!

More and more ports are adding access including San Juan which just announced it. Even Bermuda is looking to build a new off shore pier to service ships up to the Oasis class in size. At this point there are several ports that I am aware of that can support her:

Home Ports

Ft. Lauderdale

Port Canaveral (under construction, Fall 2014 Opening)

Miami (possibly under construction)

Cape Liberty (under construction, Fall 2014 Opening)

Barcelona, Spain

Southampton, England

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Shanghai, China

Hong Kong

Destinations

Port Canaveral (under construction, Fall 2014 Opening)

Cape Liberty, NJ

Bermuda (planned, no set dates)

Labadee, Haiti

Philipsburg , St. Maarten

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Nassau, Bahamas

Cozumel, Mexico

Costa Maya, Mexico

Falmouth, Jamaica

St. Kitts

San Juan, Puerto Rico (under construction, Fall 2014)

Penghu, Taiwan (planned, April 2016)

Shanghai, China

Hong Kong

Vigo, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples (Capri), Italy

Rotterdam, Netherlands

Palma De Mallorca, Spain

Provence (Marseilles), France

La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy

The list has been growing over the past few years and there are bound to be more that exist that I do not know about. I'm sure there are some more in Asia and Australia. Who knows, maybe we'll even see a seasonal Oasis class ship in Cape Liberty for the summers. Now that they've announced that Quantum will not only have but be required to use it's retractable funnel every time she arrives and departs from Cape Liberty the main reason Oasis would never sail from there is gone. If Bermuda gets their new pier built I could see it happening with and Oasis in the summer (FL in the winter) and Quantum in the winter (UK in the summer).

Edited by DEIx15x8

The list has been growing over the past few years and there are bound to be more that exist that I do not know about. I'm sure there are some more in Asia and Australia. Who knows, maybe we'll even see a seasonal Oasis class ship in Cape Liberty for the summers. Now that they've announced that Quantum will not only have but be required to use it's retractable funnel every time she arrives and departs from Cape Liberty the main reason Oasis would never sail from there is gone. If Bermuda gets their new pier built I could see it happening with and Oasis in the summer (FL in the winter) and Quantum in the winter (UK in the summer).

I would be one of the first in line to sail an Oasis Class to Bermuda! :D

• 1 month later...

More and more ports are adding access including San Juan which just announced it. Even Bermuda is looking to build a new off shore pier to service ships up to the Oasis class in size. At this point there are several ports that I am aware of that can support her:

I remember reading on another post that said something about how the main issue was not just docking the large oasis class ships, but also if the island itself could support 6,000 guest plus whatever cruise docks with the ship. Idk if that's true or not but it is something to think about. Many have voiced their want for new ports, it's been almost 4 or 5 years of the same ports, which of course is of concern when your trying to attract 12,000 customers every week ( both oasis and allure) and sail to the same port!

Also to answer the first question, when RCCL has released a new ship with innovations, they usually "trinkle" down and spread On the other ships. For instance the "wow" campaign that the oasis class ships began later sent those improvements to the other ships. As far as I can tell, RCCL is continuing this actions and has already released palms for Dynamic Dining and removing MDR (Which began with the quantum ship). Most likely, RCCL will also share the techno-infused ship given the name "smart ship" advancements and offer faster internet connections and faster check in abilities.

I am quite surprised by the doubt or dislike for this ship. I don't recall this ever being the case with other launches or designs. We'll see what comes out of all this doubt and questioning of this new class of ships. I am just ecstatic that we in NJ are getting a brand new ship, actually two if you think about it. One comes in, leaves, Liberty comes in, leaves and we get another brand new ship, hopefully to stay.

Excellent point. I had never thought of Two70 as an indoor Aquatheater. I had always thought of it sort of replacing the VCL with great aft views and a nice place to relax during the day and making better use of it at night.

I am quite surprised by the doubt or dislike for this ship. I don't recall this ever being the case with other launches or designs. We'll see what comes out of all this doubt and questioning of this new class of ships. I am just ecstatic that we in NJ are getting a brand new ship, actually two if you think about it. One comes in, leaves, Liberty comes in, leaves and we get another brand new ship, hopefully to stay.

I think a lot of the doubt and dislike comes from all the secrecy about this ship. I can't understand Royal's logic about keeping EVERYTHING so secretive.

Excellent point. I had never thought of Two70 as an indoor Aquatheater. I had always thought of it sort of replacing the VCL with great aft views and a nice place to relax during the day and making better use of it at night.

IMO, I kind of see it as a blend between those two spaces. During shows it will be like an indoor AquaTheater, but all other times, it will be like the VCL, a nice place to sit, relax, and watch the wake of the ship.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I think a lot of the doubt and dislike comes from all the secrecy about this ship. I can't understand Royal's logic about keeping EVERYTHING so secretive.

IMO, I kind of see it as a blend between those two spaces. During shows it will be like an indoor AquaTheater, but all other times, it will be like the VCL, a nice place to sit, relax, and watch the wake of the ship.

Agreed, my main complaint is the secrecy rather than anything with the ship itself.

I also suspect that 270 will wind up being the late night dance club on top of all of its other duties. It's well suited.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Agreed, my main complaint is the secrecy rather than anything with the ship itself.

I also suspect that 270 will wind up being the late night dance club on top of all of its other duties. It's well suited.

I will let you dance the night away.

I think the secrecy is mainly due to the fact that RC doesn't know the ship's future as well. With Oasis 4 and 4 down the pipe they have to find home ports and routes for all of these wonderful new ships.

I can't wait to try them, I just hope they home port within 3 hours flight time of my house.

I will let you dance the night away.

I think the secrecy is mainly due to the fact that RC doesn't know the ship's future as well. With Oasis 4 and 4 down the pipe they have to find home ports and routes for all of these wonderful new ships.

I can't wait to try them, I just hope they home port within 3 hours flight time of my house.

LOL thanks Andrew. Certainly exciting times with all of these new ships coming out! Things have been quiet for the last few years so it's really great to see the industry move back into expansion mode.

I agree that this ship unfortunately has seen a large amount of dislike. I believe this to be because if how RCCL track record of bigger and grander ships. With the freedom class, they were the largest of its time. Then with the oasis class, they again produced the largest ship. Now with Quantum, it's as if they've stepped back from the "bigger is better" idea and gone back to the smaller style ships. When I spoke to one of our waiters about the new ship, she explained the reason for RCCL to make Quantum smaller is to try to maximize profit. Unfortunetly an oasis style ship is not AS profitable as a Quantum.

One thing to note also is as previously stated these ship are most likely designed for different climate areas instead of the typical Florida . Which would be nice to use North Star in places like Alaska

I agree that this ship unfortunately has seen a large amount of dislike. I believe this to be because if how RCCL track record of bigger and grander ships. With the freedom class, they were the largest of its time. Then with the oasis class, they again produced the largest ship. Now with Quantum, it's as if they've stepped back from the "bigger is better" idea and gone back to the smaller style ships. When I spoke to one of our waiters about the new ship, she explained the reason for RCCL to make Quantum smaller is to try to maximize profit. Unfortunetly an oasis style ship is not AS profitable as a Quantum.

One thing to note also is as previously stated these ship are most likely designed for different climate areas instead of the typical Florida . Which would be nice to use North Star in places like Alaska

Quantum is still the third biggest ship in the world, so they are not going small. What do you expect, a 300.000 gross ton ship?

I would also not see a waiter as the expert for management decisions within Royal Caribbean. Oasis class is very profitable and Quantum will be as well. They are just built for different destinations and provide varity. Same with the smaller ships who I hope will remain in the fleet for a long time!

Quantum is still the third biggest ship in the world, so they are not going small. What do you expect, a 300.000 gross ton ship?

I would also not see a waiter as the expert for management decisions within Royal Caribbean. Oasis class is very profitable and Quantum will be as well. They are just built for different destinations and provide varity. Same with the smaller ships who I hope will remain in the fleet for a long time!

I never said she'd be an expert but simply referenced her as to where I heard the information. Though it might not be an expert, there is some logic to it. Considering off season and how many rooms you must fill to break even. But I'm sure RCCL has calculated their numbers.

It seems as a step back when the ship is smaller then the freedom class ship and she was built back in 2007. And 7 years later your ship is smaller. But like you wrote, it could be for a different location else then the carribean

I never said she'd be an expert but simply referenced her as to where I heard the information. Though it might not be an expert, there is some logic to it. Considering off season and how many rooms you must fill to break even. But I'm sure RCCL has calculated their numbers.

It seems as a step back when the ship is smaller then the freedom class ship and she was built back in 2007. And 7 years later your ship is smaller. But like you wrote, it could be for a different location else then the carribean

The Quantum is larger than Freedom class yet smaller than Oasis.

Freedom stats.

Type: Cruise ship

Tonnage: 154,407 gross tonnage (GT)

Length: 1,111 ft 6 in (338.8 m)

Beam: 126 ft 8 in (38.6 m) at waterline

183 ft 8 in (56.0 m) bridge wings

Height: 209 ft (63.7 m) above water line

Draft: 28 ft (8.5 m)

Decks: 18 total, 15 passenger

Capacity: 4,370 passengers (double occupancy)

Crew: 1,300 (average)

Quantum stats

Type: Cruise ship

Tonnage: 168,666 GT[2]

Length: 348 m (1,142 ft)[3]

Beam: 41 m (135 ft)[3]

Draught: 8.5 m (28 ft)[2]

Decks: 18[4] (16 passenger-accessible)[2]

Capacity:

4,180 passengers (double occupancy)[2]

4,905 passengers (maximum occupancy)[2]

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Smaller style???