With high prices and bad reviews why sail celebrity?

Loyal2Royal1995

I have 2 open booking for celebrity, I cruised on the summit in 2007 for a 14 night to Hawaii and it was incredible, we stayed in concierge class for both of us it was under 3600. But after joining CC and reading all the complaints, and the very high prices, I might give up the open booking and take the loss. Why would anyone risk their cruise and money on celebrity again?

Cruising is wicked awesome

I have 2 open booking for celebrity, I cruised on the summit in 2007 for a 14 night to Hawaii and it was incredible, we stayed in concierge class for both of us it was under 3600. But after joining CC and reading all the complaints, and the very high prices, I might give up the open booking and take the loss. Why would anyone risk their cruise and money on celebrity again?

There are loads of good reviews also, as to the complaints, there are changes going on, some are popular, some not.

If you have noticed the complaints have amped up since the changes in the Captain's Club, which some were very, very unhappy with. Not to mention that Celebrity has made some changes, that some think are the end of the world. If I was looking to cruise with Celebrity, I would read the reviews in the review section of this site and I think you will find a more true representation of what those cruising on Celebrity think from both long time cruisers and new cruisers to Celebrity.

Because those reviews are in many cases ridiculously overblown. We just had a fantastic, zero-complaint cruise on Silhouette. I was shocked to see all the griping, those people could not possibly have ben on my cruise!! And the prices are still great if you shop well, bide your time, and know your product.

very simple.....because celebrity is still by far the best of the mass market cruise lines. If you base your decisions on prices and reviews, the cruise line won't matter because you won't find an airline to fly :)

Edited by ghstudio

Many. many people had wonderful times. Read all on cruise critic with a grain of salt. Shop carefully and use your open bookings and reach your own conclusion. If it was as bad as some have said, they would be out of business by now. We have never had a poor experience on a Celebrity cruise

Just to give you an example. One very bitter review was based on two factors: there was no 'food station' at the Captain's Club party, and the string quartet and a cappella groups were nowhere to be found. Obviously if those things are critically important to you, their lack would be very noticeable. Hence, very bad reviews of the cruise. :rolleyes:

Honestly, on all of our cruises, we have never had a bad time or felt a need to complain. Of course, when we are on vacation we are too busy having a great time, to sweat the small stuff. Go and enjoy -

As far as high prices go, I'm paying less now for a better cabin than I did 5-10 years ago. If you compare Celebrity to similar lines you'll generally find Celebrity priced competitively and if you happened to get the 1,2,3 type promo they turn out to be significantly less. All a matter of timing.

As far as quality of the cruise I have no complaints. And given I'm a married male I am no longer allowed to think about how good things were years ago :eek: The mind plays tricks on people about how great things were in the past.

I've been on 4 Celebrity cruises in the past 4 yrs and have two more booked within the next 12 mths and am looking forward to getting back on board.

Just read the past posts of those that become negative on this tread and you'll most likely see a pattern.

Let me ask your question is a slightly different way: If Celebrity is as bad as some say why do so many return to Celebrity again and again?

A recent reviewer of the Summit, who said they had a great cruise, still complained profusely about some of the following. A waiter didn't pick up a small piece of paper on the floor.(maybe a server shouldn't pick up items on the floor), poached egg station opened at 7:25 instead of 7:00, the chocolate on the pillow at night, although very tasty, did not have a brand identity. Now these things may bother some people but someone new and thinking about booking Celebrity may be discouraged and miss out on a great cruise/vacation experience.

We were on Silhouette last December for what we thought was a great price (less than $1,000 CAD each for a CC cabin). We had such a great time that we've booked the same week for this December on Reflection, and got an even better deal: still paying less than $1,000 pp for CC, but have the drink package thrown in, too. Add to that the OBC we got for using a future cruise certificate and we can't go wrong. We paid significantly more than this for our first NCL cruise many years ago, which is an inferior product in our opinions, and it was an Oceanview room. We also recently sailed PG for the first time, and for more than four times the price I can assure you we did not get four times the value.

I call it "The Voice of the Vocal Minority".

Happy people rarely take time to write about their happiness, while those unhappy tend to shout it from the top of every mountain over and over again.

I'm clearly on the side that Celebrity is the perfect fit for me, and although I have experienced issues in my sailings, when I have talked to a human on the ship to resolve them, they have always been resolved to my satisfaction and better.

To me a company can make mistakes, no one is perfect, to me what REALLY matters is their recovery from issues that arise. X has always gone above and beyond on my small issues.

And at the end of the day, Celebrity, IOHO, is trully better than the other choices.

We will continue in hopes that not all the changes will be bad.., that the music situation will improve and that food/ service stays very good in Blu . Then no reason to switch to lines whose clientele are discovering X.,,.

Many post to hopefuly convince Celebrity to preserve the elegant modern luxury we have enjoyed in the past !

Edited by hcat

Why? Because I don't take a cruise based on a few bad reviews from a pool that includes only about 7% of the total passengers on board. I don't listen to them and I don't complain about the silly things that many are complaining about. Price? It's just fine for us.

Relax, keep your bookings and prepare to enjoy your cruise. Just don't listen to all the whiners.

very simple.....because celebrity is still by far the best of the mass market cruise lines. If you base your decisions on prices and reviews, the cruise line won't matter because you won't find an airline to fly :)

That statement is highly debate able. I think it was once.

We will continue in hopes that not all the changes will be bad.., that the music situation will improve and that food/ service stays very good in Blu . Then no reason to switch to lines whose clientele are discovering X.,,.

Many post to hopefuly convince Celebrity to preserve the elegant modern luxury we have enjoyed in the past !

We are just off Solstice and found the music to be exactly to our taste. The Celebrity orchestra was great. There was a quartet playing mostly jazz in the Ensemble Lounge in the evenings which seemed to be popular. A guitarist and singer, Riley, who was a great performer and we enjoyed him very much. Our number one though has to be the house band. Top Knotch were the best band we have come across on a cruise. 2 girls and 3 guys. Those girls can really sing and dance. Add to that the guest musicians, great violinist and and another time a guitarist who can play any instrument on the guitar. As far as disco music is concerned, sorry, no idea.

The food and service in Blu was excellent but we have nothing to compare as we have never been in Aqua before this trip.

Could you give me an example of what kind of updated activities, music, etc. you are looking for? Please be specific.

I like the new egg drop competition, the new ship building contests. Would like to see more similar ideas that get people interactively involved with others and the ship.

I'd like to see molecular bar teach people how to make their drinks in a clinic of some sort.

I'd like to learn how to DJ like a professional.

I'd like to learn how to blow glass, not just watch the shows.

I'd like music to be 80's and forward no classical or swing or stuff like that, Perry Grant being the exception to the rule. I'd like the pool to have more upbeat music all day and more frozen drinks and make it more of a fun party atmosphere than death's waiting room and a snoozefest.

I'd like the T pools on M class to also be on the S class ships.

I think a golf simulator experience may be fun.

These are my top ideas.

Was on the Solstice from Hawaii to Vancouver - no complaints with the ship or the staff.

However, Celebrity website and customer service is another story. This is not just my opinon, but also that of many cruisers, and as well as travel agents.

I like the new egg drop competition, the new ship building contests. Would like to see more similar ideas that get people interactively involved with others and the ship.

I'd like to see molecular bar teach people how to make their drinks in a clinic of some sort.

I'd like to learn how to DJ like a professional.

I'd like to learn how to blow glass, not just watch the shows.

I'd like music to be 80's and forward no classical or swing or stuff like that, Perry Grant being the exception to the rule. I'd like the pool to have more upbeat music all day and more frozen drinks and make it more of a fun party atmosphere than death's waiting room and a snoozefest.

I'd like the T pools on M class to also be on the S class ships.

I think a golf simulator experience may be fun.

These are my top ideas.

LOTS of good stuff there cle-guy, LOVE the DJ idea!

A recent reviewer of the Summit, who said they had a great cruise, still complained profusely about some of the following. A waiter didn't pick up a small piece of paper on the floor.(maybe a server shouldn't pick up items on the floor), poached egg station opened at 7:25 instead of 7:00, the chocolate on the pillow at night, although very tasty, did not have a brand identity. Now these things may bother some people but someone new and thinking about booking Celebrity may be discouraged and miss out on a great cruise/vacation experience.

Keep in mind that this same reviewer referred to Celebrity as "an outstanding premium cruise line," which, of course, it isn't. It is as mainstream as any other line, though some pax perhaps deem it "premium" because they are on it! The particular review you refer to had a very telling line in it when bemoaning the terrible loss in X brand quality: "We do not need another NCL, another Holland, another Princess. Oh, no, definitely NOT."

One rarely gets filet at ground round prices... Perhaps what this reviewer needs is Crystal or Seaborn? Or a private yacht.