I need your help!

roysue

I am an experienced with ocean cruising but I have never done river cruising. Some elderly family members of mine have booked the Viking Schumann, traveling from Magdeburg to Melnik. I looked at the deck plans and I don't see elevators. This group has one person who can't walk too far due to breathing problems and one who may have difficulty with her knees. What should I tell them to get them prepared for any difficulties they will face?

I am an experienced with ocean cruising but I have never done river cruising. Some elderly family members of mine have booked the Viking Schumann, traveling from Magdeburg to Melnik. I looked at the deck plans and I don't see elevators. This group has one person who can't walk too far due to breathing problems and one who may have difficulty with her knees. What should I tell them to get them prepared for any difficulties they will face?

Just returned from the Passages to Eastern Europe Viking River cruise on the Rinda, one of their new longships. There is an elevator between the second and third decks, but no elevator to the main deck (deck 1) nor up to the sun deck (deck 4). The stairs, however, are not steep and I believe it is probably only about 12 steps to the other decks. All the public rooms and many of the cabins are on decks 2 and 3 so unless their cabin was on deck 1, they would never need to venture down there. There is also a small outside deck on deck 3, so they could also sit outside without having to go to the sun deck. However, the shore excursions on river cruise usually involve a fair bit of walking so having mobility issues could limit their ability to enjoy the full extent of their cruise experience.

The Schumann is an older ship (as I understand it, the Longships can't navigate the Elbe). You're probably right that it does not have an elevator, but appears to have a stair lift chair (see link below for previous CC discussion of this). They should call Viking and confirm. They may want to cancel and rebook on a different itinerary and a newer ship that's more accommodating.

FuelScience

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1213974&highlight=schumann+elevator

Rent them a scooter and put them on Holland America. They should do better there.

Zoncom was not being sarcastic. Most of these old towns have cobblestone streets and are difficult enough for anyone to walk on,let alone anyone with limited mobility. Also, most walking tours are a couple of hours

Zoncom was not being sarcastic. Most of these old towns have cobblestone streets and are difficult enough for anyone to walk on,let alone anyone with limited mobility. Also, most walking tours are a couple of hours

Agreed . . . It sounds like the ship is the least of that person's concerns. Another cruise line does not recommend their Elbe cruise for people with mobility problems and not in good health due to the lack of elevators and the conditions in the cities and sights visited. ADA type accessibility features won't be there. The city tours will be a couple of hours on your feet and cover 2 or 3 miles walking.

Hello roysue,

I understand your concern and wonder if your relatives booked this cruise under the assumption that all modern ships have up-to-date facilities, like a lift?

While I do not doubt their enjoyment of cruising I do have my doubts about the shore excursions, like CPT Trips has already mentioned.

I would contact Viking direct, like a previous poster has suggested, and raise those questions with the cruise line.

While I have seen people with mobility issues on my cruise and the lines try to help with this, I do find that your typical river cruise is not a suitable holiday for people who need a scooter to see sights, for example.

If it has to be Northern Europe and Germany, a cruise through the canal to the Baltic - or similar - might be better.

notamermaid

I must agree that I think they will be unhappy with this cruise.As a nurse I m very aware of people with disabilities and have seen quite a few struggle on river cruises.Many had probls.just getting aboard on thin gangplank,not suitable to wheel chairs.Then they could NOT get on top deck due to stairs.

Even with collapsible wheelchairs ,the cobblestorne is almost impossible to mange.In the end they just stayed onboard in lounge.

Let them know exactly what its like,encourage them to re think this.Sorry,for bad news but being realistic.

most cathedrals and museums, etc. have many steps leading into them which makes entering the buildings difficult.

Not only are the cobblestones a problem but the ancient streets are also crowned so that the water will run off into the sewers making a level surface to walk non-existent.

Even if one is in a wheelchair there are the curbs to manage and there are no entrances from the curbs onto sidewalks. Have they thought about a river cruise in the US where ADA is in place?

I don't want to be debbie downer but I do want them to have an enjoyable and safe vacation!

We were on the Schumann--yikes 8 years ago. It had a chair lift to all decks even the sun deck. The lift was kept after refurb. As said before the ship is the least of the challenges. Please convince them to talk with their TA and Viking about the mobility issues.

On the other hand, as more active people we think about walking a lot. Maybe the parents will be able to decide that one or two days will be "sea days" Good luck--it is a wonderful itinerary. Pat

A huge thank you to all who have replied. This trip was booked 1 year ago and the extent of their mobility issues were less at that time. I will be calling them to share this information so that they can make an informed decision. Thanks again!

We did the Vineyards & Vistas cruise in 2011 on the Fontane (sister ship to the Schuman). There was a chairlift between the cabins in the lower deck and the upper deck where reception, dining, etc were. Additionally, there was a "debreifing" each evening in the lounge where the activities for the next day were described in detail. This included information about how much walking would be involved and the type of surfaces that would have to be navigated. The tours were divided into groups and there was always one group designated (with affection) as the "turtle" group which was an option for anyone wishing to move at a slower pace. There were a couple of individuals with wheelchairs that they could use for longer walks and a couple with walkers as well. There is always the option of staying on the ship or simply venturing out close to the ship to see what is close by ... most of the towns are pretty close to the docking facilities used by Viking.

Biggest problem I see for your family is off shore! One thing I've discovered in my travels and I'm sure you'll all agree with me: Europe is NOT ADA compliant!!! Even with a rented scooter or wheelchair, cobblestones will be a serious issue; most of the historic sights do not have elevators but do have graceful (and long) staircases which are generally very wide so impossible to walk up holding onto both railings....and restaurants and bathrooms tend to not be w/c friendly. Hopefully Viking will work with you and enable you to exchange this trip for one your family will get more out of.

Biggest problem I see for your family is off shore! One thing I've discovered in my travels and I'm sure you'll all agree with me: Europe is NOT ADA compliant!!! .

I believe ADA stands for Americans with Disabilities Act - why would you expect other countries be compliant with an American policy/act?

I believe ADA stands for Americans with Disabilities Act - why would you expect other countries be compliant with an American policy/act?

Europe is supposed to be way ahead of US on social issues, so why wouldn't we expect them to have recognized this as a good thing? Don't get hung up on the name, think about the spirit behind the law.

Europe is supposed to be way ahead of US on social issues, so why wouldn't we expect them to have recognized this as a good thing? Don't get hung up on the name, think about the spirit behind the law.

I do agree with this sentiment; however it's kind of hard to rip up all the cobblestone streets in Europe, which is the issue most of the posters have been concerned about.

The problem of making accessible in some cases many hundreds of years old historic buildings and sites has caused much discussion throughout Europe. In most countries this has been achieved wherever possible but is not consistent or perfect. In some cases it's a juggling thing make a castle completely accessible or destroy an historic destination to enable access and then you lose the originality many times there is no happy medium. So bear with our cobbled streets, narrow twisty stairs etc. Then we will travel the world and revel in your accessibility. After all that European rules on mobility issues are fairly strict so always check with the company you are travelling with they must be up front and clear with there answers.

So sad that many Americans expect where they travel to be just like home. :confused:

Thinking of accessibility of my favorite Philly spot . . . Monk's Cafe. Guess it's really authentic Belgium ? ? ? :rolleyes:

I do NOT expect other countries to be compliant with an American policy....you totally misread my intent, which was to point out that the amenities for the handicapped that we have come to expect in this country do not exist elsewhere......not finding fault, just pointing out something to be considered.

When we went to Greece, I mentioned how there were stairs everywhere (was told "it's a hilly country"), the roads were cobblestone, many stairs did NOT have railings and sidewalks were very narrow. Anyone with mobility issues would have had a difficult time.

Sometimes you have to think hard about your abilities when planning a vacation. If you could split into groups during the day, river cruising might work out. Your family that can't get around well may choose to stay on the boat. If that isn't do-able then maybe river cruising isn't an appropriate vacation.

You mention that it was booked a while ago, maybe they purchased insurance, so some other vacation can be planned????

Have you thought about what you would do if your "breathing issue" member were to encounter health issues while abroad? River cruises don't (usually) have a physician onboard or the facilities that might be needed. Granted, a city is never far away, but it IS something you should keep in the back of your mind.

When we went to Greece, I mentioned how there were stairs everywhere (was told "it's a hilly country"), the roads were cobblestone, many stairs did NOT have railings and sidewalks were very narrow. Anyone with mobility issues would have had a difficult time.

Sometimes you have to think hard about your abilities when planning a vacation. If you could split into groups during the day, river cruising might work out. Your family that can't get around well may choose to stay on the boat. If that isn't do-able then maybe river cruising isn't an appropriate vacation.

You mention that it was booked a while ago, maybe they purchased insurance, so some other vacation can be planned????

Have you thought about what you would do if your "breathing issue" member were to encounter health issues while abroad? River cruises don't (usually) have a physician onboard or the facilities that might be needed. Granted, a city is never far away, but it IS something you should keep in the back of your mind.

Carole I had to chuckle when you said you were told Greece was a "hilly" country! We were told the same thing! You raise some really valid issues. The only river cruise I've been on that had a physician actually on board the vessel was in Russia. All the others relied on facilities in port. In Egypt a few of us developed serious breathing issues (fine desert sand in the air) and a doctor was called to the ship to give us inhalation therapy. The only thing I can say would be a "plus" to having a serious illness or injury on a river cruise is that the ship can dock for an ambulance, on an ocean cruise you need the Coast Guard to air lift you off! I've never been on a river cruise that did not make arrangements for passengers with limitations. From separate walking tours to calling a taxi so you can meet the walkers at a specific location, they do make every effort to accommodate everyone. One of the reasons we go to Europe and other countries is to see the "old" things, like cobblestone streets and 1000 year old buildings. No one wants these places leveled and made "accessible" but as tourists we do have a responsibility to find out what our destination is like and book accordingly.