Timing

If departing from a U.S. port, I would arrive around 12 noon.

I don't know about Carnival but many cruise lines begin embarkation about 11:15 - 11:30 for a 4 P.M. sailaway.

Edited by sail7seas

Seeing as you are flying from Newfoundland and flying in January -- I suggest you fly in at least a day early.

We always fly in 2 or 3 days early and this past February we had a massive snow storm that shut down airports along the east coast for 3 1/2 days. Over 75,000 flights were cancelled and many of us were caught in the mess. Even out 3 day early arrival did not help us and we lost out on a cruise.

Just another reason to buy insurance.

How long should you arrive prior to departure? Our ship sails at 4pm.

If you are flying to your port, try to arrive the day before to account for flight delays.

Departures from US ports require to you check-in and be on board about two hours before departure.

We like to get on as soon as possible and start to relax knowing that our vacation has actually begun.

Thanks for all the advice. We are flying from Newfoundland two days prior (got my request in to mother nature to be good to me) and staying in Bradenton until the morning of the cruise with some family. The reason I was asking about boarding is because I was debating purchasing ($50) the FTTP with Carnival for priority boarding (behind VIP etc) and having our cabin ready when we arrive. Not sure if it is necessary. Not sure if the check in is long and if the cabins are generally not ready. Any advice on the FTTP program would be welcomed.

Thanks

Heidi

Seeing as you are flying from Newfoundland and flying in January -- I suggest you fly in at least a day early.

We always fly in 2 or 3 days early and this past February we had a massive snow storm that shut down airports along the east coast for 3 1/2 days. Over 75,000 flights were cancelled and many of us were caught in the mess. Even out 3 day early arrival did not help us and we lost out on a cruise.

Just another reason to buy insurance.

How sad you lost your cruise. I am sure this happens but I have never heard of it from anyone I know or experienced it myself but this is my first winter cruise. I have insurance in place for delays due to weather but I still wouldn't want to loose my cruise as my daughter is getting married on the cruise. That would be devastating.

We always arrive at the ship around 11am. We've never had an issue with lines, and usually just walk right in. We like to be onboard when the ship is still relatively empty, and to be having lunch in the buffet before it gets too crowded to find a seat.

Then, we find a quiet place in the shade near the pool to relax until the cabins are ready (it's not usually a long wait, but we always leave the buffet area when we are done eating to turn the table over to people who are waiting to eat - this is a pet peeve of mine when people stay at the buffet after they eat, waiting for their room to be ready)

If the ship is new to us, we sometimes go exploring until the cabins are open.

I don't think it is necessary to have access to the cabins early - we only bring on small carry-ons that are easy to manage/maneuver around