Hurricane Season

Tudy

Just wondering, what does Celebrity do if one of their cruises is headed into the path of a hurricane? Does anyone have experience with this?

They reroute to try to avoid the hurricane.

If they can call on other ports they do so. I had one cruise occur during a hurricane and we were pretty lucky they just changed from Eastern to Western Caribbean. We simply got a sheet of paper when we boarded listing the new ports. This was RCCL but I would imagine Celebrity would be similar.

In rare situations they might not have any options but to simply offer a cruise full of sea days.

We were on a Western Caribbean cruise when Ivan was heading up the Gulf of Mexico. The Captain reversed the order of our ports, staying one step ahead of the storm the whole way. We didn't even feel any waves. Smooth as silk the whole voyage.

The safest place to be during a hurricane is on a ship. The captain can avoid the storm, the cities on land are not so lucky.

They will do whatever is necessary to keep the passengers/ship safe.

If they have to change itineraries, they will do it. If they have to

stay out in the water and not dock and go in the other direction, they

will do it.

I remember years ago...I want to say 2004/05 was the season of

all the Hurricanes around Florida........well, I know they actually had

to stay out for an extra day because they could not dock....so, some

people had an extra day on the ship but the next cruise was short

by a day.

The Captain doesn't want to go through a storm any more than his

passengers.

Just wondering, what does Celebrity do if one of their cruises is headed into the path of a hurricane? Does anyone have experience with this?

You will be hard put to find a Celebrity cruise to the Caribbean during hurricane season. The ones most affected are Bermuda (those are even rare) and once in a great while, the Canada/New England route. They keep a keen eye on the weather at all times and will do whatever they can to avoid a tropical storm or hurricane.

They will do whatever is necessary to keep the passengers/ship safe.

If they have to change itineraries, they will do it. If they have to

stay out in the water and not dock and go in the other direction, they

will do it.

to stay out for an extra day because they could not dock....so, some

people had an extra day on the ship but the next cruise was short

by a day.

The Captain doesn't want to go through a storm any more than his

passengers.

Hi Lois-

That was 2004....when Charlie, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne all hit....Frances sat off our coast for almost 3 days and no ships could get in or out.... this is the 10 year anniversary....hope we don't get a repeat this year!!!:eek:

to stay out for an extra day because they could not dock....

That was the summer/fall of 2004, our DD was in her first contract on the Majesty! They floated off Key West in the Straights of Florida, then raced back into Miami to let pax off, new ones on, restock and get back out. Quite a few Cruise Critic folks kept us up to date on how she was for 6-8-10 weeks!

Celebrity and some other cruise lines have very limited cruises to the Caribbean/Bermuda during hurricane season.

Certainly, the ship will keep you safe once on the ship. Often, getting to and from the embarkation/disembarkation port is the BIG issue.

LuLu

We'll be on a transatlantic this coming October during hurricane season. Leaves London, stopping at Lisbon, Bermuda, and Nassau before arriving at Ft. Lauderdale. So apparently Celebrity does have some cruises in hurricane affected areas.

Hi fellow nut (buckeye). We have done fall TA's for the past 5 years, in Oct,Nov & Dec. The only bad seas we ever encountered was in crossing the infamous Bay of Biscay, Mediterranean and Atlantic were always smooth sailing. You will not be in the Caribbean anyway.

Ships rarely crusie at full speed for a few reasons. One is naturally the fuel consumption and the other is for a buffer to have the reserve speed if needed for emergencies and delays.

They monitor the weather, wave conditions and various other things to iinsure the safety of the ship, passengers and crew. If needed they will reroute or change the itinerary . The captain will also do the same to avoid bad weather such as a storm to give passengers better weather for sea days while traveling to the next port. He may decide to take a longer route thus using the reserve speed but stil be able to keep the schedule.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Hi fellow nut (buckeye). We have done fall TA's for the past 5 years, in Oct,Nov & Dec. The only bad seas we ever encountered was in crossing the infamous Bay of Biscay, Mediterranean and Atlantic were always smooth sailing. You will not be in the Caribbean anyway.

I'm not concerned at all. I was just answering those who posted that Celebrity doesn't have ships in hurricane areas during the season (June-Nov). I've sailed in the Atlantic, North Sea, and Caribbean during hurricane season and never had a problem.

If you are to follow NOAA'S Hurricane Dates....hurricane season goes

to NOV 30TH.....so in reality Celebrity does do a few cruises in that

time frame.....they offer a few November cruises to the Caribbean.

But during "high season" which are August and September, they do

not sail to the Caribbean.

Edited by Lois R

You might want to check out Cruise Critic's "Hurricane Season Cruising: What You Need to Know" - http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=884

Hi Lois-

That was 2004....when Charlie, Frances, Ivan & Jeanne all hit....Frances sat off our coast for almost 3 days and no ships could get in or out.... this is the 10 year anniversary....hope we don't get a repeat this year!!!:eek:

Greetings

Florida was the prime target in 2004. I saw the eyes of both Frances and Jeanne pass right over my house. Don't really want to repeat that anytime soon.

Good Sailing

Tom

Depends on which hemisphere, in the northern it is counter clockwise, the southern is clockwise.

But if it's a hurricane, it's in the northern hemisphere. Typhoon's may be in the northern or southern hemisphere, but hurricanes are always in the northern.

If you are to follow NOAA'S Hurricane Dates....hurricane season goes

to NOV 30TH.....so in reality Celebrity does do a few cruises in that

time frame.....they offer a few November cruises to the Caribbean.

But during "high season" which are August and September, they do

not sail to the Caribbean.

They have October Caribbean cruises too, but not many. This year I think it's just two Summits sailings and one Infinity sailing, but even then the earliest is October 19.

October does get a respectable number of hurricanes. Over the past 163 years there have been 198 October hurricanes, so a little over 1 per year. By comparison August has had 234 and September 392 over the same time period. So it's not a lot less than August, but I'd hazard a guess that the hurricanes are mostly toward the beginning of the month. November has only had 57 hurricanes in 163 years.

We sailed on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Summit in Sept 2005. Rumors of a hurricane interfering with the cruise were already circulating when we embarked. The day before we were have a port day at Cabo San Lucas the Captain announced we would miss the port due to the hurricane and travel well around the storm to keep a safe distance from it. The Captain actually made a short video explaining everything with charts including our revised route, the path of the storm and how we would avoid it. The video played repeatedly on one of the ship information channels on the TV.

I'd say about a third of the passengers where fearful of the storm and the whole situation, a third were extremely upset that our port stop at Cabo was cancelled, and the rest of us were happy with the explanation and just enjoyed the cruise which had several other ports of call.