Smoking on your balcony is out! Gratuities are going up.

There are probably just as many people who have avoided booking a balcony on Carnival because smoking has been allowed than those who will shun them for changing the rules. Now the non-smokers will move up into a balcony, and, according to some folks here in this thread, smokers will take their business elsewhere.

In the long run, a business is going to do what it thinks is best for its bottom line; and the best way to do that is to implement policies that satisfy the majority of its customers. Banning smoking on balconies is obviously what most people want. Some of you smokers might not like to hear that, but that’s the way it is.

Having sailed on the SPLENDOR last November, and the BREEZE and FREEDOM just two months ago, I can honestly say that Carnival gives smokers plenty of space to smoke (inside and out). I have absolutely no problem with this. What I have a problem with is this ‘arrogant entitlement’ attitude that many smokers seem to have (not all, but many). I can’t tell you how many times I saw people smoking in non-smoking areas, or flicking their butts off the side of the ship, or putting them out on deck. On the BREEZE alone it had to be at least two dozen times. I even witnessed one guy smoking around kids who were playing putt-putt on the top deck (and they weren’t his kids, not that it matters). This whole, “no one’s going to tell me where I can and cannot smoke” schtick is just pathetic, and it’s getting old. If someone is truly a “considerate smoker”, they shouldn’t have a problem with playing by the rules.

The problem is the rules are in place with the assumption that they will be followed.

Good move Carnival....you just might get some new customers. Too bad the ban does not apply to my cruise in two weeks. I love sitting out on the balcony but it is not fun when you have a chain smoker next door that is hacking and coughing and still they smoke!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think for every smoker promising to jump ship for another cruise line, Carnival is going to gain more in new non smoking customers, as well as new balcony bookings with their current customers who normally book inside/OV cabins.

I think this is what will happen also.

When Celebrity, Princess and Royal went to non smoking balconies, I'm sure CCl looked at it very carefully before following along.

I've never been able to figure out how smoke can linger on a balcony when the ship is traveling at 21 knots. I think a lot of non smokers are blowing smoke themselves.

Strange but true!! Just off Legend. I got to enjoy the smoke from our cabin neighbors bright and early every morning..... GROSS!!! I think I paid the same for my balcony and should be able to enjoy it too.

Also, think about the insurance costs. Fire is the worst thing that could happen on a ship. The less you are able to light up, the less chance of fire.

Edited by SUSIEK

I have a nice aft wrap coming available for May 3, 2015 if anybody wants it. If this is true I'll be canceling and going to NCL where I can still smoke on my balcony .

My guess is that they will follow as well.

I think this is what will happen also.

When Celebrity, Princess and Royal went to non smoking balconies, I'm sure CCl looked at it very carefully before following along.

My guess is that bookings must be up. I doubt they would even entertain this if they were flat.

I am an NCL cruiser and an NCL stockholder. So when I read the number of Carnival cruisers who are so angered by the smoking policy changes on their cruise line of choice, that they are going to cancel their booking and jump ship to NCL, I say "COME ON OVER!" :D

However, I am a non-smoker and I respectfully ask you to follow the NCL smoking policies. Plus, NCL doesn't allow any smoking in the nightclubs, and has limited smoking areas on the decks on and above the pool area.

NCL offers an affordable product, with a variety of cruisers, from honeymooners, the elderly, extended families, singles and like myself (ahem) the middle aged but super fun and awesomely cool married couple. Oh, and our current daily service charge is $12 and NCL also offers an unlimited beverage program. Go to NCL's website or use the search in C.C. to update yourself on it.

Again, WELCOME FORMER CARNIVAL CRUISERS TO NCL!!!!

p.s. I forgot to add, we don't want the grumpy, complaining, chair hogging, buffet line cutting, theater seat saving, cruisers. We have enough of those cruisers along for the ride already...;):rolleyes:

Already looking at NCL until they too change their policy.

It is a very sad day for this loyal Platinum Carnival cruiser:(.

After seeing the mulitple letters that are posted on FB with confirmation, I informed my group and we will strongly be considering another alternative that best fits us.

Strange but true!! Just off Legend. I got to enjoy the smoke from our cabin neighbors bright and early every morning..... GROSS!!! I think I paid the same for my balcony and should be able to enjoy it too.

Also, think about the insurance costs. Fire is the worst thing that could happen on a ship. The less you are able to light up, the less chance of fire.

I used to think people were exaggerating regarding the smoke on the balconies. On the Splendor in April, I had smokers all around me and the smoke really bothered me.

It doesnt matter to me either way, our best friends whom we cruise with often are smokers and we book the balcony next to them. The smoking has never bothered us. And I can see them raising the gratuities, everything is going up in price!!

I have no problem with no smoking on the balcony or the gratuity raise. We always get a balcony and every single time I seem to get a chain smoker next to me that smokes 24/7. Every time we want to enjoy our balcony I can smell the smoke and I end up going inside.

This makes the decision for our next cruise a little easier. We were debating between NCL out of New York or the Pride out of Baltimore after its upgrades. Looks like we will be sticking with Carnival!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Will they still sell cigs in the Fun Shop? How much revenue does that make them? Former smoker here, quit almost 2 years ago. Also a cruiser that always get's a balcony and has never had a problem with smokers in adjoining balconies.Won't cause us any concern as we will continue to get a balcony and cruise Carnival.

Too bad they could not have at least limited smoking to one side of ship.

Now we will not be cruising again.

We will not go NCL because I do not think my autistic daughter will be welcomed. Plus, i hate the dining policy.

Guess its land trips for now on.

Already looking at NCL until they too change their policy.

It is a very sad day for this loyal Platinum Carnival cruiser:(.

After seeing the mulitple letters that are posted on FB with confirmation, I informed my group and we will strongly be considering another alternative that best fits us.

And I'm a "loyal Platinum Carnival cruiser:D" who is very happy with the new smoking rules.

Plan to book cruise 24 on Carnival later today.

Thanks Carnival for keeping us "loyal Platinum Carnival cruisers:)" happy.

And you booked that balcony knowing you could have a smoker near you because that was the policy, so you should have no complaints about...shocker!... a smoker being near you.