Same dress twice?

kcteach12

One of the advantages to being grey-haired and apple-shaped is that you know people aren't going to be staring at you (unless I do something dumb, of course! :D ) I bring one long black dress with 2 sets of (fake) jewelry. The jewelry is easier to pack than the dresses. I also dress for casual night dinners in black derss pants and nice blouses. I take half as many blouses as I have sailing nights and repeat those too. I can do a week's cruise in a 20 inch rolling duffel and a backpack. Of course, the fact that I can't wear heels helps too!

No one will mind - repeat your dress and save the space. :)

Ladies, since there are 2 formal nights on cruises of 7 days, do you wear the same dress twice or two different ones?

I've always brought two, but on the last cruise I decided in the future just to bring one. Nobody cares.

I bring two different dresses for the two formal nights. However, I would venture to say that if you wore the same dress twice, very few people would notice... probably just your immediate travel party and table mates. And does it really matter what anyone else thinks?

I have a row of formal gowns and full out sequined tops, jackets, etc from previous cruises. The past few years, I've gotten further and further away from that approach. I went to short cocktail dresses and now, I have a pair of very dressy black slacks and two different tops. One is lace and the other is shimmery. Both pack without wrinkles. I have a pair of flats that can be worn with them and with more casual clothes. I've seen too many people in heels slip on the tile and splatter themselves. It's just so much easier to not have a ton of luggage to drag around through airports. I'm so much more comfortable. I used to buy a very expensive swimsuit for my cruise and found that after a week it was faded. I don't put that much in the swimsuit. I'm perfectly happy wearing last year's swimsuit on a cruise. One cover-up instead of a coverup for every swimsuit. One or two swimsuits (depending on where I'm cruising). I haven't missed the dressing up or everything being perfect.

I bring a different formal night outfit for every formal night. Sometimes a piece might work on another night, sometimes everything is just on the one night. A lot of my things are lightweight and don't wrinkle, and it's not hard to do. I like the variety.

I was thinking about taking one black dress for the whole trip and accessorizing creativley. Then I realized I own something like 12 sundress type dresses that I wear for work. Let's just say I am taking one dress for each day, two nice dresses for formal night and 5 sundresses for the other nights! I never wear my sundresses unless it is sweltering out since i usually crawl around on the floor in my classroom all day, I may as well have a chance to wear them!

We have been taking 14+ day cruises for quite awhile now.

I used to pack gowns....some pretty amazing ones actually....probably only two places they could be worn is on red carpet and cruise ship! Some were so over the top that they would be too ridiculous for a Christmas party. Hubby used to schlep beautiful double breasted Tux and I had about ten different colors of matching how ties and cumer buns to match my outfit. Hubby always played along....didn't mind one bit. I put a photo album together for every vacation we've taken and I have some amazing memories and pictures.

After 20 years, we still cruise. Still 14+ day ones, but no formal anymore. There are sooooo many other places to eat on ships today, we just don't usually go anywhere near the MDR anymore (select MTD so we don't have an assigned seat).

But something Dr. Phil said that I've never forgotten, which seems appropriate to this inquiry is, "you wouldn't care what other people thought (about you) if you knew how little they did."

So pack one, pack eight....whatever makes you feel special. No one is going to be discussing that gal that wore that dress twice over their cocktails.

:)

Edited by kymbakitty

Ladies, since there are 2 formal nights on cruises of 7 days, do you wear the same dress twice or two different ones?

I have done both.

I have a plain simple black knit maxi dress that I change up by using different big chunky jewelry and a different wrap

I have also brought a true formal gown and second outfit that is usually Palazzo pants and a nicer top

reasons behind either include driving versus flying( size and weight of luggage) and itinerary( more versus less casual/ tropical)

I take about 4 quite dressy knee length skirts, then add tops and shoes, for the whole holiday. My dress during formal nights is similar to the others, maybe a sparkly top but otherwise the same.

The little black dress is a good idea, heels for formal and flats for casual.

I would take a ball gown on a cruise ship, too much hassle for me, but credit to those who do.

No one will remember what you wear...and if so who cares ;) they don't know who you are nor will you ever most likely see them again!

ZI have this dress and wear it twice with two different flashy wraps or scarves and jewelery. No one even notices it's the same dress. The fabric never wrinkles and it takes up no space at all. The bonus for me is not having to take great looking shoes because with mine you really don't even see the shoes, thus another space saver.

I do the same. Switch up accessories. No one notices. ;)

Since we do pictures nightly, if I wear a dress twice, I change jackets for the dress and like you accessories- thank heaven for the little black dress! Silk pants are easy- just a different blouse and accessories also. However, I typically bring two formal dresses for formal night.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I bring two dresses for two formal evenings. Mainly because with none flying cruises luggage is unlimited so carrying extra isn't a problem, and also because over the years I've collected a lot of formal wear and besides the holiday season, it's the only chance I get to wear them. But I wholly agree with other posters no one really takes a bit of notice what anyone else is wearing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone on cruise you will know? That you need to impress?

Other than that, as long as dress is not smelly, no one cares.

Anyone on cruise you will know? That you need to impress?

I dress to please myself and my DH who admires his wife looking good. Not for other people- I feel good when I look good and this includes wearing nice "clean" neat clothes.

Everybody has different standards . I respect the right of all to choose what works best for them.

And if it does, there is always Febreeze!:D;)

One pair of black slacks, 2 tops. Same jewelry for the whole cruise.

I am too much of a fashionista to wear the same dress on both formal night. I would break out with hives for sure...lol

Ditto! :D

By-the-way, I totally disagree that others don't notice what you're wearing (not that I care about that) but just saying...yes, people do notice what you're wearing but just probably don't care. Otherwise, why would there be so many complaints on this board about how people don't dress up anymore or how people are dressing so sloppily and we saw people wearing shorts, etc. etc..people notice...you either care or you don't. I dress for myself and the DH. I often get complimented on my attire and especially my jewelry (I wear lots of sterling silver pieces that I've collected over the years). So, to repeat...people do notice they just might be too polite to bring up what they think about your attire if they find it lacking in some way. Again, you either care or don't. I don't!

Edited by mousey