Men, their feet, and the MDR

My DH wears nice sandals occasionally in the MDR. That said, I have a strange aversion to feet -- all feet (yes even mine and my DH's), but especially gross ones with thick and/or yellow toenails!!! I am shivering just thinking of it! So, as a favor to those of us out there who hate feet, if yours could use some grooming, maybe consider closed toed shoes???? Just saying!!!!

N

I just love the word nice in all these what's acceptable or not in the MDR. Like

Nice:

Sandals

Leather flip flops. (Does the fact that they are nice make them less of a flip flop?

Jeans

Hats

Tee shirts

Golf shirts

The list just goes on and on ad nauseum. With all these people in the dining room wearing "nice" whatever, hate to see what isn't nice.

Ok so the hubs is struggling with what shoes to pack. My answer is this - as few as possible, so I can of course pack more shoes for me!

On casual nights in the MDR, he will likely wear a collared shirt, nice jeans, and would like to wear sandals, or even nice leather flip flops (not the beachy kind).

So the question is- what is allowed? not what you might personally prefer, but what will get him turned away at the door or not? Will the leather man sandals fly or not??

BTW he does get a pedi before the cruise. because their is nothing more gross than bad man feet. get a pedi, people.

This now the norm for MDR on RCI with Celebrity going that way.

The dress code is one of the many reasons why we have moved to Cunard and Oceania.

N

I just love the word nice in all these what's acceptable or not in the MDR. Like

Nice:

Sandals

Leather flip flops. (Does the fact that they are nice make them less of a flip flop?

Jeans

Hats

Tee shirts

Golf shirts

The list just goes on and on ad nauseum. With all these people in the dining room wearing "nice" whatever, hate to see what isn't nice.

It is indeed comical. We've had "dress jeans" and "dress shorts", but now a whole new level - "nice leather flip flops".......:rolleyes:

But we don't eat in MDR any more, so I guess we could care less whether the flip flops are plastic or leather :)

Edited by bouhunter

There is a difference of what is allowed, and what expectations are. You can't place every single item of clothing in a dress code. Usually, if a man is to wear a polo shirt, and long jeans, than it should be common sense to know that flip flops are not acceptable. (sandals and flip flops are for when a outfit is a t-shirt and shorts) This is a grown up dinner, and with that being said, men should dress up as grown ups, and not children. Certain things, such as flip flops, sandals, t-shirts, hats, bagging pants, pants with holes, crocks, and shorts are just not appropriate.

Sandals, hats, shorts, t-shirts are turned around. Appropriate footwear is needed. At times, some people do slip buy. But remember, this is not school, this is an adult trip, and really, the expectation is it dress appropriately, and not have the need to be scolded!!!!

So now I am curious. What footwear is allowed/recommended/acceptable/appropriate by RCI standards? Not by you or your common sense, but by RCI? Ultimately, it is at their discretion. I personally could care less what people wear on their feet...at school, adult trip, or otherwise.

Edited by Wilda

My DH wears nice sandals occasionally in the MDR. That said, I have a strange aversion to feet -- all feet (yes even mine and my DH's), but especially gross ones with thick and/or yellow toenails!!! I am shivering just thinking of it! So, as a favor to those of us out there who hate feet, if yours could use some grooming, maybe consider closed toed shoes???? Just saying!!!!

You would have loved the guy that sat next to me in Chops one time. The nail on his big toe looked like a frito.

In all seriousness, the MDR? You want to wear crocs or flip flops? Are you for real?

This is a dining room not a buffet or cafeteria. Have some decorum. One pair of 'formal' shoes ain't going to break the bank nor your partners shoe budget.

Have some pride in your appearance please.

Oh and I don't care if he gets a pedicure before the cruise either, men's feet not properly covered are gross JHMO and have no place being on view in the MDR.

Oh and for the record, yes men's feet as ugly as I find them do prevent me from enjoying my dinner in a 'formal' environment.

Edited by peteukmcr

Lets see. The MDR is a sit down restaurant with table service of a bartender, waiter, and assistant waiter. Food is served with a place setting that is not wrapped in a paper napkin. The waiters pull your chair out, place napkins on your lap. The tables are covered with table cloths.

There is a difference of what is allowed, and what expectations are. You can't place every single item of clothing in a dress code. Usually, if a man is to wear a polo shirt, and long jeans, than it should be common sense to know that flip flops are not acceptable. (sandals and flip flops are for when a outfit is a t-shirt and shorts) This is a grown up dinner, and with that being said, men should dress up as grown ups, and not children. Certain things, such as flip flops, sandals, t-shirts, hats, bagging pants, pants with holes, crocks, and shorts are just not appropriate.

Sandals, hats, shorts, t-shirts are turned around. Appropriate footwear is needed. At times, some people do slip buy. But remember, this is not school, this is an adult trip, and really, the expectation is it dress appropriately, and not have the need to be scolded!!!!

The problem is that you are clearly not up to date with where casual trends are today. I will agree that flip flops with jeans and a polo shirt is a bit much, but there is 100% nothing wrong with a guy/man wearing a pair of jeans with a polo/button shirt along with a pair of regular sandals (aka. birks). How is this type of dress inappropriate when many companies allow this type of dress in the summer?

The problem is that you are clearly not up to date with where casual trends are today. I will agree that flip flops with jeans and a polo shirt is a bit much, but there is 100% nothing wrong with a guy/man wearing a pair of jeans with a polo/button shirt along with a pair of regular sandals (aka. birks). How is this type of dress inappropriate when many companies allow this type of dress in the summer?

Depends what country you are in on what is considered appropriate. We in the UK have yet to adopt the 'casual' US business attire during a working day that may allow an 'anything goes' approach. For example during our weekly team meeting this week we were reminded of the appropriate 'smart casual' and once per month 'casual" dress code and it didn't include flip flops nor sandals for men. So when I cruise I work by those guidelines and would only wear 'formal' fully covered foot footwear in the MDR at dinner and would expect that as a minimum for my fellow male cruisers.

Edited by peteukmcr

My husband wears slip on loafers in the evening except formal then he wears his black shoes.

Same with my husband. He also takes a pair of sneakers for excursions and a pair of sandals for the pool. If we go to Cozumel I throw in water shoes since some of the entry points to the water can be full of shells/coral.

When flying to a cruise he wears his heaviest pair of shoes on the plane. If driving, he can bring every pair he owns if he wants.

Edited by DebJ14

Any why do older men have hair growing out of their ears and nostrils with eyebrows like bushes??

Come on men - look after yourselves a bit better if the above rings a bell with you :-)

I find men's feet with fungus toenails and hairy toes very unappetizing. They may let you wear sandals, but that does not mean that you should.

The All Inclusives where we have been in the Caribbean and Mexico have all required collar shirts, long pants, and CLOSE TOED shoes at a minimum in the restaurants in the evenings. Some restaurants require a jacket too. They specify that in the hotel dining descriptions. And, they do enforce it. We met a young honeymoon couple at Sandals Antigua. He didn't bring anything but sandals and they would not let him into the restaurants. He had to go into town the next day and buy a pair of shoes. At a resort on the Riviera Maya a big, boorish American tried to bully a tiny Mexican girl into letting him into the nicest restaurant in shorts. She held firm and he went away after making quite a scene. She got a round of applause from the other diners and lots of extra tips that night.

Edited by DebJ14

Since I am the planner and packer on vacation, I only allow my husband 4 pair of shoes.

He wears his sneakers to the ship, a pair of flip flops for beach and pool, a pair of brown shoes for casual nights and black dress shoes for formal nights.

I bring as many shoes as I please. Works for us. :)

My wife read the same packing manual. :o

Depends what country you are in on what is considered appropriate. We in the UK have yet to adopt the 'casual' US business attire during a working day that may allow an 'anything goes' approach. For example during our weekly team meeting this week we were reminded of the appropriate 'smart casual' and once per month 'casual" dress code and it didn't include flip flops nor sandals for men. So when I cruise I work by those guidelines and would only wear 'formal' fully covered foot footwear in the MDR at dinner and would expect that as a minimum for my fellow male cruisers.

Perhaps you should expect that out of your fellow male cruisers from the UK then, yes. The great thing about the world we live in is that we all have our own customs and beliefs and part of that is what we consider acceptable dress. When I cruise I am paying lots of money to be on vacation, and prefer to dress comfortably. When I am meeting a client or potential client for my business than I dress accordingly to the line of work I am in. Since I am in the Orthopaedic/Athletic field casual is very acceptable....for formal night I may bend and wear dress shoes with a pair of nice pants and a shirt, but if a tie is NOT necessary I choose to not wear one, lol

It is indeed comical. We've had "dress jeans" and "dress shorts", but now a whole new level - "nice leather flip flops".......:rolleyes:

But we don't eat in MDR any more, so I guess we could care less whether the flip flops are plastic or leather :)

May I ask where you take your evening meal?

So.....how again is a work place like a formal dining experience on a luxury cruise liner?

My wife read the same packing manual. :o

I like her and never even met her. :)

Just to clarify: my husband dresses very well. I iron all of his clothes and them pack them neatly with tissue paper to prevent any wrinkling. I also pack Downy Wrinkle Release in the event something does end up creasing in transport.

I have gotten better over the years with overpacking shoes but when a dress calls for purple sandals, I must find a way to make it happen.

I don't want people thinking I'm an awful person. Just a shoe lover.

My husband is not.

So.....how again is a work place like a formal dining experience on a luxury cruise liner?

I have suggested that casual dress is much more acceptable in today's workplace than it used to be...similarly it is also much more acceptable with the cruise industry which is evident with their more relaxed standards with what is acceptable. The world we live in is full of stress, and when I am on vacation at least I want to unwind and be comfortable. Nothing wrong with that if it means wearing a pair of jeans and a pair of "nice" sandals is it? Furthermore, the MDR on any ship I have been on and plan on being on in 4 months has Casual and Formal dining....to me I would never wear a pair of any sandals to dinner on a formal night so why chastise my comment?