Men, their feet, and the MDR

I might be in the minority. In the 10 cruises I've been on I never once noticed what any man was wearing on his feet in the MDR. I don't recall actually looking down at their feet as they make their way to their seats. Once seated, feet are unseen. I certainly don't look at feet when I eat. Nope, I just don't care. Just MHO for what it's worth.

Well, a few years ago, both DH and myself had crocs. Then I gave my grey ones up. Now my DH wears my grey crocs. How can this be? He's 4 sizes bigger than me? I still love him though, and if he managed to smuggle em on board, I would still eat dinner with him.

I agree men are discriminated against. They generally look better than all the women trying to look younger and thinner than they are, whatever they wear.

I find men's feet with fungus toenails and hairy toes very unappetizing. They may let you wear sandals, but that does not mean that you should.

The All Inclusives where we have been in the Caribbean and Mexico have all required collar shirts, long pants, and CLOSE TOED shoes at a minimum in the restaurants in the evenings. Some restaurants require a jacket too. They specify that in the hotel dining descriptions. And, they do enforce it. We met a young honeymoon couple at Sandals Antigua. He didn't bring anything but sandals and they would not let him into the restaurants. He had to go into town the next day and buy a pair of shoes. At a resort on the Riviera Maya a big, boorish American tried to bully a tiny Mexican girl into letting him into the nicest restaurant in shorts. She held firm and he went away after making quite a scene. She got a round of applause from the other diners and lots of extra tips that night.

Hilarious. That people care so much. :rolleyes: its so hot here in the UK at the moment. It's uncomfortable to have any clothing next to your skin, let alone worry what others think of your footwear.

Edited by Adayatatime

I'll probably get hammered for this but to me the MDR should be a more classy place to dine. Men in sandals, crocks...I just think that shows a lack of class. Ok for windjammer but not MDR or specialty restaurants.

Book Cunard :D

Sorry, I couldn''t resist but THIS WORKS!

Rub Vicks Vabor rub on your toenails every morning and at bed time for about six weeks and the yellow nail will grown out leaving clear nails again . Your feet will be ready for the pretties sandles you can find. Enjoy!

Rub Vicks Vabor rub on your toenails every morning and at bed time for about six weeks and the yellow nail will grown out leaving clear nails again . Your feet will be ready for the pretties sandles you can find. Enjoy!

Haha!

Thread saver.

It's days like this that make me wonder why I keep coming back to cruisecritic.....:rolleyes:

Book Cunard :D

Why should he/she book Cunard? To be around a better class of people? I am so sick of this whole "but they are a NICE pair of sandles, flipflops, crocs, jeans, shorts, tee shirts". Also, this too often repeated refrain: I'm on vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please. Or the other usual one: I paid a lot for this vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please. Let's not forget the classic: I get dressed up at work why should I have to on vacation? In either case if you don't like it tough s...

You people can justify it all you want. As they say lipstick on a pig is still a pig. Don't want to dress like a grown man or woman in the dining room? Go to one of those nudist resorts. Sure you'll be right at home.

Why should he/she book Cunard? To be around a better class of people? I am so sick of this whole "but they are a NICE pair of sandles, flipflops, crocs, jeans, shorts, tee shirts". Also, this too often repeated refrain: I'm on vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please. Or the other usual one: I paid a lot for this vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please. Let's not forget the classic: I get dressed up at work why should I have to on vacation? In either case if you don't like it tough s...

You people can justify it all you want. As they say lipstick on a pig is still a pig. Don't want to dress like a grown man or woman in the dining room? Go to one of those nudist resorts. Sure you'll be right at home.

so why exactly do you cruise on Royal or vacation elsewhere? And how does how one decides to dress equate to a nudist resort? Do nudists frequent Royal dining rooms? Clearly you are somebody who is old fashioned and stuck in their ways, and many of the more popular cruise lines are not catering to your customer base.

When somebody picks a particular cruise line or resort, they read guidelines as to what is acceptable attire for events, and if it matches how they like to present themselves they book! It's a shame that you consider those of us who follow those guidelines as not being grown up, lol...There are indeed cruise lines out there that are as stuffy as you seem to like, so as the old saying goes "you are free to choose those" if you are so put back from the thrones of us unlike yourself.

It would appear you may be evidencing the traits matching exactly the new demographic that RCI and Celebrity are seeking to attract to the marques.

Wow, just wow.

I'm so glad that I enjoy myself while on vacation and not worry about what others are doing or wearing.

I'll probably get hammered for this but to me the MDR should be a more classy place to dine. Men in sandals, crocks...I just think that shows a lack of class. Ok for windjammer but not MDR or specialty restaurants.

While the "class" police are out -- perhaps one should note how unclassy it is to be staring anywhere but at one's face while talking, or to be lifting the tablecloth to inspect your dinner companions feet.

I am not sure why anyone would notice what someone is wearing on their feet at dinner. While I don't wear sandals or flip flops to dinner (or just about anywhere), I could give a rat's tutu if anyone else does.

I generally find those who go out of their way to find fault in others, when compared to "THEIR CORRECT WAY" aren't the kind of folks I want to spend time with anyway.......

Enjoy your cruise as you wish and allow others to enjoy theirs. Shoes are not something that should be interfering with anyone else's enjoyment of dinner.

Really -- with all the strife and insanity in the world today -- this is what sets your off??

so why exactly do you cruise on Royal or vacation elsewhere? And how does how one decides to dress equate to a nudist resort? Do nudists frequent Royal dining rooms? Clearly you are somebody who is old fashioned and stuck in their ways, and many of the more popular cruise lines are not catering to your customer base.

When somebody picks a particular cruise line or resort, they read guidelines as to what is acceptable attire for events, and if it matches how they like to present themselves they book! It's a shame that you consider those of us who follow those guidelines as not being grown up, lol...There are indeed cruise lines out there that are as stuffy as you seem to like, so as the old saying goes "you are free to choose those" if you are so put back from the thrones of us unlike yourself.

Didn't you just preach to the choir? Exactly my point. When one books a vacation, whether a cruise, a resort, nudist or otherwise there is an expectation that the individual will abide by the norms of that venue. If someone doesn't like the customs of that vacation option they choose another, not spend a great deal of time trying to circumvent.

While the "class" police are out -- perhaps one should note how unclassy it is to be staring anywhere but at one's face while talking, or to be lifting the tablecloth to inspect your dinner companions feet.

I am not sure why anyone would notice what someone is wearing on their feet at dinner. While I don't wear sandals or flip flops to dinner (or just about anywhere), I could give a rat's tutu if anyone else does.

I generally find those who go out of their way to find fault in others, when compared to "THEIR CORRECT WAY" aren't the kind of folks I want to spend time with anyway.......

Enjoy your cruise as you wish and allow others to enjoy theirs. Shoes are not something that should be interfering with anyone else's enjoyment of dinner.

Really -- with all the strife and insanity in the world today -- this is what sets your off??

Not sure what strife in the world has to do with the price of tea in China or dress codes on a cruise ship but the issue is larger than just footwear. It is a lack of regard for accepted customs and fellow passengers by dressing inappropriately under the premise of "It's my vacation, I'll wear whatever I damn well please". I'm sure the people that come to the buffet in robes, or men without a shirts say the same thing: it's my vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please.

Any why do older men have hair growing out of their ears and nostrils with eyebrows like bushes??

Come on men - look after yourselves a bit better if the above rings a bell with you :-)

Do you also want to address the European women that have hairy armpits?

I don't think anyone checks out underwear, so I think you can wear a thong. But only UNDER something else.

Actually I do

Its usually a lady wearing white pants and has black undies on...... but that is for another thread:p

I grew up in California Ive called those things I wear on my feet, thongs, since I was a kid

Not sure what strife in the world has to do with the price of tea in China or dress codes on a cruise ship but the issue is larger than just footwear. It is a lack of regard for accepted customs and fellow passengers by dressing inappropriately under the premise of "It's my vacation, I'll wear whatever I damn well please". I'm sure the people that come to the buffet in robes, or men without a shirts say the same thing: it's my vacation and I'll wear whatever I damn well please.

Here is the kicker.... "inappropriate" to whom? Not to the RCI, as folks are allowed to wear sandals into the MTD. Well, of course, we're only concerned about MEN doing so -- women are free to wear their "nice" high heeled sandals all they want in your world.

Bottomline is that YOUR opinion is completely useless and unimportant to others. If the staff allows it than it is APPROPRIATE by the authorities that matter.

As Miss Manners would say -- those who spend all their time telling others how inappropriate or classless they are -- simply show the world that they can't see themselves in the mirror.

I mean I get it -- I've met many people like you -- you are only happy when complaining about others and holding yourself up as a shining example of "righteousness in the world". So - this thread is making your day, have at it - you will have ZERO impact, but you'll be happy and smug.

No need to reply to me, I'm done with you and this thread - I think I will pack sandals for my next cruise now, thanks!!

Mike