Men, their feet, and the MDR

You really need to stay away from those funny cigarettes.

Wow, aren't you just a classy act.

You enjoy your next cruise sitting in a corner judging people's outfits and others with "obvious issues". Sounds a miserable way to live to me, but different strokes for different folks.

Sorry all, I'm new here. I don't care how anyone dresses as long as they make a bit of an effort in the evening.

Some people like to dress up a bit too which is cool.

"Thongs" I take it you mean flip flops? Not right for blokes at night I don't think. Depends in the temp though?

Wow, aren't you just a classy act.

You enjoy your next cruise sitting in a corner judging people's outfits and others with "obvious issues". Sounds a miserable way to live to me, but different strokes for different folks.

I honestly feel sorry for the people who look for things to be outraged about constantly, even on vacation. Though I suspect the indignation they show here on the board is exaggerated and they don't really get that worked up about dumb stuff in real life.

At least I hope so. As you say what a miserable way to go through life. :(

Well I normally keep my mouth shut when it comes to issues like this. But , not going to this time. I do believe the dress code discriminates against men. I for one would much rather see a man in walking shorts and sandals, than some of the young ladies or even older women trying to appear younger wearing 18 inches of fabric that's cut down to the bellybutton and up to the panty line while wearing strappy little stiletto heels. Or the 200 pound woman squeezing into a size 10 blouse and size 4 slacks. Although I've only cruised three times, I have witnessed this all three times in the main dining room. Even worse, is the beautiful young women wearing strapless gowns with very ugly tattoos. At least the men's legs and feet are under the table. Not out on display

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really. If you want to wear "18 inches of fabric that's cut down to the bellybutton and up to the panty line while wearing strappy little stiletto heels." Go for it. It's your cruise, wear what you want. They may even ask you to join the theater cast. :)

LMaxwell, I don't often disagree with you, but if you can't see the difference between wearing "office clothes" at work and wearing "office clothes" on a cruise, then you miss the whole point of the cruise. If I could get "pina coladas on the lido deck" at my workplace, trust me, I'd be there. I can't. So I go on a cruise. I am an airline pilot. I work with a number of former Navy Pilots. Many (in fact most) refuse to go on a cruise because of their Navy Cruises. I try to explain (and I know this from personal experience) that a cruise is NOTHING like a Navy Cruise.

LMaxwell, I don't often disagree with you, but if you can't see the difference between wearing "office clothes" at work and wearing "office clothes" on a cruise, then you miss the whole point of the cruise.

No, I do see the difference.

I think when most men refer to sandals or flip flops at dinner they are talking about the following types.

mens-birkenstock-arizona-sandals-leather-brown_4.jpg

2013-new-men-s-cow-leather-sandals-brown.jpg

url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=T3oX8S8d1W6j-M&tbnid=L4Gdevv-AA9ICM:&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffashionsup.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F07%2Fmen-leather-sandals-ideas.jpg&ei=MlbNU-zJI9GiyASZjIGoBw&psig=AFQjCNF3i81Gb9BUQcxVmZ-fJxHHMt34kA&ust=1406052274703579

However, I think the ones who keep crying "slob" and other such nonsense are thinking of the following

flip-flops.jpg

Just like when someone here mentions jeans everyone goes right to "slob" and that stupid garbage right away. I guess a lot of people think of Hank Hill in his blue dungaree work jeans and think that is the only definition of jeans. Then they act like there isn't a such thing as a workaday version or casual clothes and a nice version of casual clothes.

Hank_Hill.png

There is a difference

banana-republic-jeans-for-him-2.png

am an airline pilot. I work with a number of former Navy Pilots. Many (in fact most) refuse to go on a cruise because of their Navy Cruises. I try to explain (and I know this from personal experience) that a cruise is NOTHING like a Navy Cruise.

And what possibly does your profession or airline pilots or navy pilots have to do with dining dress on a cruise line??????

To the person who posted the sandal pictures above - get a life!!

Edited by bouhunter

Maybe I am just more laid back than most, but I honestly can't imagine myself ever caring what another person is wearing in the dining room of a cruise ship! Who the hell cares? Who are these people that feel the need to police everyone's clothing choices? I guess I just don't get it. How does what one person wears affect your dining experience at all? Frankly, I would prefer that the mass market cruise lines all just go all casual all the time. Snooty people could probably find other cruise lines more to their liking. They could all wear tuxedos and formal dresses every night and turn their noses up at each other and say things like "Well, I never!"

Edited by Frankenbeans

Maybe I am just more laid back than most, but I honestly can't imagine myself ever caring what another person is wearing in the dining room of a cruise ship! Who the hell cares? Who are these people that feel the need to police everyone's clothing choices? I guess I just don't get it. How does what one person wears affect your dining experience at all? Frankly, I would prefer that the mass market cruise lines all just go all casual all the time. Snooty people could probably find other cruise lines more to their liking. They could all wear tuxedos and formal dresses every night and turn their noses up at each other and say things like "Well, I never!"

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is no subject so trivial it can't generate passionate outrage and indignation. :)

Edited by BamaGuy44

Your post was honest and heartfelt. Then you went and ruined it with the last sentence. Possibly evidencing some hurt or angst.

May one suggest you try Cunard, just for one cruise, so you may speak from actual experience.

This thread is just too much fun not to join!:D. I don't care what people wear, as long as their private parts are covered and they don't smell!

Mostly everyone can smell, one of the five sences.

Correct English.

I smell

You stink

Tongue in cheek. Two countries separated by one language.;)

Your post was honest and heartfelt. Then you went and ruined it with the last sentence. Possibly evidencing some hurt or angst.

May one suggest you try Cunard, just for one cruise, so you may speak from actual experience.

No hurt or angst. As far as I know, nobody has ever had a problem with the way I dressed in the MDR. I pretty much follow the dress code guidelines. I just don't get the angst people experience over how others are dressed, I guess.

The amount of thought and concern I have for what other people are wearing in the MDR can be measured in nanogivea****s.:D

How many pairs do you allow for yourself?

I only allow my husband 4 pair of shoes.

He wears his sneakers to the ship, a pair of flip flops for beach and pool, a pair of brown shoes for casual nights and black dress shoes for formal nights.

I bring as many shoes as I please. Works for us. :)

Correct English.

I smell

You stink

Even more correct English would be....

One of the five senses.:rolleyes:

People in glass houses.....

No hurt or angst. As far as I know, nobody has ever had a problem with the way I dressed in the MDR. I pretty much follow the dress code guidelines. I just don't get the angst people experience over how others are dressed, I guess.

The amount of thought and concern I have for what other people are wearing in the MDR can be measured in nanogivea****s.:D

I feel those who are concerned about what others wear on formal nights in the MDR (not wearing tux etc) should just switch to Cunard to save further futile postings.

But if some sail on lines who operate a "suggested" dress code in the MDR, those should just accept this is now the future for these lines, and no matter how much they raise objections, their efforts are wasted, as the lines are not interested in their opinions on dress codes.

In essence, if a particular line's dress code offends your sensitivities, just move to another. Simples! :D

And what possibly does your profession or airline pilots or navy pilots have to do with dining dress on a cruise line??????

To the person who posted the sandal pictures above - get a life!!

Wow. All he was doing was pointing out the differences. Wow.

This has been one of the most entertaining threads, it helped past the time yesterday as we drove home from Wisconsin!:D

I don't understand why people think sandals/flip flops are dressing "lazy"? And I don't get why it's ok for women to wear sandals or shoes that are open, but not for men?

I grew up in an era where it was rare to see a woman leave the house in a pair of pants. We were not allowed to wear pants in high school until we lobbied for it my junior year, the school board changed the policy to let us girls wear pantsuits but not separates and not, god forbid, a pair of jeans.:eek: Fortunately, times and fashion change. My parents were horrified when I came home from college with jeans, and I admit, I cringe whenever I see a young man with his pants sagging. But, it's not the end of the world. My sons and nephews have all been able to enter the adult world appropriately dressed even though some of their previous outfits were horrifying!:eek:

I go on a cruise to relax and have fun, I do not go to be the fashion police, smoking police, chair police, etc. Some of the most amazing people I have met on a cruise probably would have been frowned upon by the fashion police! And there have been a few, always dressed "to the nines", that, based on their behavior, I have quickly learned to avoid!

Sherri:)

Great post

Especially the last sentence

Edited by oneputt18
U

While the "class" police are out -- perhaps one should note how unclassy it is to be staring anywhere but at one's face while talking, or to be lifting the tablecloth to inspect your dinner companions feet.

I am not sure why anyone would notice what someone is wearing on their feet at dinner. While I don't wear sandals or flip flops to dinner (or just about anywhere), I could give a rat's tutu if anyone else does.

I generally find those who go out of their way to find fault in others, when compared to "THEIR CORRECT WAY" aren't the kind of folks I want to spend time with anyway.......

Enjoy your cruise as you wish and allow others to enjoy theirs. Shoes are not something that should be interfering with anyone else's enjoyment of dinner.

Really -- with all the strife and insanity in the world today -- this is what sets your off??

Word.

Husband takes:

Dress shoes for formal night

Sports shoes for shore days and walking about the ship

Mixes it up between slip on loafers and leather strappy sandals for casual nights

I've never looked at a mans feet at dinner. Why woud you?

Well fellow CC'ers, who'd a thunk my simple question would create such a stir!! No time for all this contemplation - I've got packing to do for the Oasis this Saturday!! As for what the hubs has decided...we are from Cali. You can draw your own conclusions.

Well fellow CC'ers, who'd a thunk my simple question would create such a stir!! No time for all this contemplation - I've got packing to do for the Oasis this Saturday!! As for what the hubs has decided...we are from Cali. You can draw your own conclusions.

Be careful what you ask for...

Correct English.

I smell

You stink

I realized my error right after I posted--should know better!!

Edited by Aeryn
Spelling