Men, their feet, and the MDR

I like her and never even met her. :)

Just to clarify: my husband dresses very well. I iron all of his clothes and them pack them neatly with tissue paper to prevent any wrinkling. I also pack Downy Wrinkle Release in the event something does end up creasing in transport.

I have gotten better over the years with overpacking shoes but when a dress calls for purple sandals, I must find a way to make it happen.

I don't want people thinking I'm an awful person. Just a shoe lover.

My husband is not.

I understand. My wife is wonderful and takes very good care of me, but momma needs her shoes and I don't mind. To me, a woman's shoe makes her outfit. Her heels and that power work. Oh happy day. :D

I'll probably get hammered for this but to me the MDR should be a more classy place to dine. Men in sandals, crocks...I just think that shows a lack of class. Ok for windjammer but not MDR or specialty restaurants.

Always wear boat shoes or should I call them "ship" shoes.

This is what I usually wear on casual nights in the MDR. I personally would never wear sandals or crocs to dinner (actually, I would never own crocs).

Always wear boat shoes

Ditto.

Boat shoes work amazingly well around the clock with any/everything up to, but not with, suit or tux.

If someone wants to wear flip flops, sport sandals, web footed shoes, leather sandals, loafers, Birkenstocks, Crocs, sneakers, basketball shoes, walkers, clogs and lederhose etc. I do not care and fail to understand why anyone else would either. I think we all basically understand that Crocs on men are the most effective birth control going as far as style is concerned though:D

Depends on the ship mostly covered footwAre is required in mdr

Check on the ships site

A lot get in with sandles but mostly covered shoes best

To pack I suggest nice covered shoes for dinner that can be worn formal. Walking shoes and sandles

Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So.....how again is a work place like a formal dining experience on a luxury cruise liner?

Just don't think Royal Caribbean is a luxury cruise liner. As I have aged, I realize that the feet are the first thing that need to be accommodated for comfort & most importantly safety & health. Really who looks at people's feet in a dinning room?

My husband and sons all wear their dress shoes for formal nighta as well as with their dockers and shirts for casual night. Saves packing a lot of shoes. They also take sneakers, sandals for the pool and sometimes water shoes.

I think it's funny how some people equate dining in the MDR with classiness. This illusion was quashed for me on the first night of my first ever cruise when a fellow table mate (a rather portly fellow from Louisiana), proceeded to order two appetizers, two entrees, and two desserts (strangely enough no salad :rolleyes:) and this every single night of the cruise. Yes, he actually ate all this food. Let's just say that I would rather see someone wearing crocs or flip flops at dinner instead of witnessing this disgusting behavior.

Edited by chester2008

Ditto.

I think we all basically understand that Crocs on men are the most effective birth control going as far as style is concerned though:D

Now THAT was funny! Thanks for the morning laugh :D

Crocks, sandals in the MDR...ok for Carnival...not for RCCL. Classless regardless of how it's justified.

classless to wear sandals? I can think of 124,345 ways to describe how one can be classless in the MDR but wearing sandals is the best you can come up with? Both cruise lines allow them, so how is RCI better than Carnival in your mind? Chewing with your mouth full, ordering double entrees, drinking too much and being too loud in the dining room is what most of us would consider lack of class. This thread is soo funny.

Well I normally keep my mouth shut when it comes to issues like this. But , not going to this time. I do believe the dress code discriminates against men. I for one would much rather see a man in walking shorts and sandals, than some of the young ladies or even older women trying to appear younger wearing 18 inches of fabric that's cut down to the bellybutton and up to the panty line while wearing strappy little stiletto heels. Or the 200 pound woman squeezing into a size 10 blouse and size 4 slacks. Although I've only cruised three times, I have witnessed this all three times in the main dining room. Even worse, is the beautiful young women wearing strapless gowns with very ugly tattoos. At least the men's legs and feet are under the table. Not out on display

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by againin13
wasn't finished

I have found that a great option for me on cruises (yes, I'm a guy) are top siders. They're comfortable, I can wear them anywhere from around the pool to yes - even the MDR!!

agreed if you don't mind the look...Top siders are not my "look" birkenstocks are, so I see nothing wrong with them for casual dining. I will never understand how some get offended by the choice of shoes someone wears in a dining room, it is as if it's a distraction to them....

agreed if you don't mind the look...Top siders are not my "look" birkenstocks are, so I see nothing wrong with them for casual dining. I will never understand how some get offended by the choice of shoes someone wears in a dining room, it is as if it's a distraction to them....

This week on Cruise Critic - I saw the chubby legs of an infant baby. BAD PARENTING.

The week after - Fat women and stretchy black pants; please stop! PLEASE!

We steamroll right in to August with - Sun hats:Appropriate in the elevators or not?

This week on Cruise Critic - I saw the chubby legs of an infant baby. BAD PARENTING.

The week after - Fat women and stretchy black pants; please stop! PLEASE!

We steamroll right in to August with - Sun hats:Appropriate in the elevators or not?

well, first two: although it may not be visually appealing people are free to dress their babies and themselves how they see fit. I wouldn't leave a room or restaurant because of it...

Sunhat in elevator? If crowded perhaps it is not polite, otherwise so what. Kind of like wearing hats in the MDR. I am clearly pretty open minded about many things when it comes to dining, but hats for me are a no no...yet I see it all the time, but would never let it influence my decision to eat at that restaurant or go on that cruise line because it is allowed...

My point was that passing judgment on people based on footwear is absolutely ridiculous and scrapes the bottom of the barrel for new lows on this forum. WHO CARES?!?

Agreed LMaxwell.

It is mind-boggling. I always wear a suit on formal night and have never once looked down on someone that was wearing jeans and a polo shirt.

On non-formal nights I always wear a nice button-down shirt, nice pants and (hold on to your seat), nice dressy sandals! Oh the humanity.

I understand that most cruisers do not understand the concept of fashion (or physical fitness for that matter) but the sandals I wear actually fit my attire. If someone has a problem with me wearing nice sandals in the dining room well then you are the one with the problem, not me.

I confess! Once on a Celebrity ship we were leaving the dining room and passed a young couple of which the male was being told to come back with long pants and a colored shirt. I tried not to look down on him but in my defense, he was only 5 feet tall and at 6 foot 1, I was at a severe disadvantage.

Ok so the hubs is struggling with what shoes to pack. My answer is this - as few as possible, so I can of course pack more shoes for me!

On casual nights in the MDR, he will likely wear a collared shirt, nice jeans, and would like to wear sandals, or even nice leather flip flops (not the beachy kind).

So the question is- what is allowed? not what you might personally prefer, but what will get him turned away at the door or not? Will the leather man sandals fly or not??

BTW he does get a pedi before the cruise. because their is nothing more gross than bad man feet. get a pedi, people.

I think flip flops are on the naughty list. Chances are on non-formal nights it won't be an issue but you never know. On our last cruise we did see one guy get rebuffed at the entrance to the MDR. Personally I would not want that embarrassment so I'd stick to a nice pair of loafers or dress shoes. Breakfast and lunch flip flops would be no issue naturally.