Is it me or are these prices out of control

I was looking at pricing a future cruise. I just can't believe the prices. I know that the prices were a bit higher during the BOGOHO promotion, but now that the promo is over, the prices are still way out there. A 7 day on the Adventure for $1700 pp. That's just crazy. I was looking at January or February. I know it is high season but we've cruised at that time in the past and haven't had to pay these prices. We are booked on the Independence for next October. Booked at around $900 pp. Now the price is at over $1200 pp and that is hurricane season.

Any insight as to why this is happening? Is this what we have to expect in the future? If so, might have to consider land based vacations. Bummer.

Any insight as to why this is happening? Is this what we have to expect in the future? If so, might have to consider land based vacations. Bummer.

The cost of food and fuel are some of the factors. We are all experiencing those in our day-to-day lives. Why would RCI not pass these costs on to us?

I was looking at pricing a future cruise. I just can't believe the prices. I know that the prices were a bit higher during the BOGOHO promotion, but now that the promo is over, the prices are still way out there. A 7 day on the Adventure for $1700 pp. That's just crazy. I was looking at January or February. I know it is high season but we've cruised at that time in the past and haven't had to pay these prices. We are booked on the Independence for next October. Booked at around $900 pp. Now the price is at over $1200 pp and that is hurricane season.

For the cruises I've been watching, the prices went up right before the BOGOHO. Now that the BOGOHO is over, all they did was remove the second guest half-off, and that made the prices jump way beyond the pre-BOGOHO levels.

Simple business... supply and demand. I priced many cruises just prior to the BOGOHO sale... and none -- not one - of the cruises I priced went up before I booked them on the BOGOHO sale... and I booked 19 cruises through 2016. I'm not saying prices won't drop closer to sale date... but I'm very happy with the cruises and the prices I have on these cruises! I think the BOGOHO was well received and many people took advantage of the prices and therefore there is no need to discount the inventory now... maybe closer to sail date... but don't expect it at least before final payment date.

OMG I was just on RCCL website :eek:and came here to post the same concerns.:confused: I thought their BOGO prices were about what we always paid..no big deal.. So now I'm looking for February when I'm off from work and the cruise prices for our normal D3 are from $3500 to $4000 for the two of us without air. That is over $1500 more than we have been paying. So I want to use my open booking so I looked at next summer leaving from NJ so we would not have air and the Liberty which is replacing the Explorer is about $6000 for the 9 day.. we used to paid low $3000 and the five day to Bermuda is about $3500. They have gotton WAY out of control. I realize it is early but still.......:mad:

So I went to Celebritys website and their prices are lower than RCCL..since when??? and they have better service. SO I guess we will put on hold our open booking and just book Celebrity when we are on their Summit next week.

Oh well...at least there are other cruise lines and RCCL still may have sales again in the future......

Agree, I think the BOGOHO and "kids" sail free promos were very well received and there just isn't much inventory out there.

I think like all sailings/itineraries available every year it really depends on what sailing you are researching. For example, West Coast Jewel interior & ocean views have gone up quite a bit, and especially since BOGOHO, but there are a ton of cabins left so I don't buy the supply & demand argument. Same with 2016/16 Caribbean itineraries on Serenade/Vision/Brilliance are waaaay up with a plenty of cabins. My Quantum sailing did not go up at all in December. My Europe sailing in Sept has very few cabins and prices have skyrocketed. My Legend sailing next March has many cabins that stayed available throughout the sale and is actually down slightly in price now after BOGOHO!

I follow prices obsessively for the last 3-4 years especially... I don't understand the current pricing and I truly don't believe it's supply & demand at all. These are the highest prices I've ever seen hands down. I can't put my finger on it. It's almost like they need to justify their recent 2-3 months of massive sales to re-enforce to the public to buy at a frenzy en-mass when there is a supposed sale... I just don't know.

RCL pricing is currently much higher than all other mass market lines in the Caribbean and making the luxury liners (with free alcohol, free excursions, free airfare, 2 for 1 pricing ie. Oceana, Azamara) in Eurpoe on other exotic locations look like a real value in comparison.

I just can't imagine that there is that much demand at those prices. Even Celebrity is high. We went on the Equinox in 2012 for 10 days for a bit over $1200 pp, now the price for that same cruise at the same time of the year is over $2000 pp.

I don't have the luxury of booking 16 cruises in a two year span. At these prices, I'm lucky to get one in a year. Usually shoot for 2.

I think like all sailings/itineraries available every year it really depends on what sailing you are researching. For example, West Coast Jewel interior & ocean views have gone up quite a bit, and especially since BOGOHO, but there are a ton of cabins left so I don't buy the supply & demand argument. Same with 2016/16 Caribbean itineraries on Serenade/Vision/Brilliance are waaaay up with a plenty of cabins. My Quantum sailing did not go up at all in December. My Europe sailing in Sept has very few cabins and prices have skyrocketed. My Legend sailing next March has many cabins that stayed available throughout the sale and is actually down slightly in price now after BOGOHO!

I follow prices obsessively for the last 3-4 years especially... I don't understand the current pricing and I truly don't believe it's supply & demand at all. These are the highest prices I've ever seen hands down. I can't put my finger on it. It's almost like they need to justify their recent 2-3 months of massive sales to re-enforce to the public to buy at a frenzy en-mass when there is a supposed sale... I just don't know.

RCL pricing is currently much higher than all other mass market lines in the Caribbean and making the luxury liners (with free alcohol, free excursions, free airfare, 2 for 1 pricing ie. Oceana, Azamara) in Eurpoe on other exotic locations look like a real value in comparison.

I agree completely. A booking I made in April of this year is now $1100 higher than when I booked. Same thing with a Thanksgiving 2014 cruise t - $1200. And I see that in both cases there are quite a few cabins available. No more booking in advance for me, I will do last minute sailings if these prices continue or go to another cruise line.

Simple business... supply and demand. I priced many cruises just prior to the BOGOHO sale... and none -- not one - of the cruises I priced went up before I booked them on the BOGOHO sale... and I booked 19 cruises through 2016. I'm not saying prices won't drop closer to sale date... but I'm very happy with the cruises and the prices I have on these cruises! I think the BOGOHO was well received and many people took advantage of the prices and therefore there is no need to discount the inventory now... maybe closer to sail date... but don't expect it at least before final payment date.

Linda

With 16 cruises booked I just want to let you: know I am available for adoption :):D:D

I agree completely. A booking I made in April of this year is now $1100 higher than when I booked. Same thing with a Thanksgiving 2014 cruise t - $1200. And I see that in both cases there are quite a few cabins available. No more booking in advance for me, I will do last minute sailings if these prices continue or go to another cruise line.

I'm confused. It sounds like you made out well by booking in advance. So why no more?

Seems like the best time to book is right when they open sail schedule or a month or so before sail. In May I booked what I thought was a great offer for the Adventure of the Seas for next May 2015 $750 ppl $100 obc aft balcony. I thought the price was low for a southern Caribbean cruise. When I booked my last Southern Caribbean cruise (May 2014) I thought the rate was good but it never did go down after I booked my superior balcony cabin on the Jewel of the Seas (booked as soon as the sail came available). But this new deal was $500 less than the first ship. It was too good to pass up. The Jewel was a nice ship I hope I'm not disappointed with the Adventure. But I agree, the rates really jumped after the sale. The same room I booked is now $800 or so more now and it's 10 or so months away.

Edited by Siora7777

We usually are comfortable paying upto $100 pp/per night for an inside cabin, but these prices are now close to $200 pp/per night for inside cabins! And this is across the family - on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises.

I can understand that for the newer Quantum and Oasis class ships, there will be an additional demand and people (including me) will be willing to pay a rather high premium, but these costs are higher even on older/smaller ships.

Most repeat cruisers like to book well in advance and 2015 rates are just absurd (Scandinavia cruises on Celebrity - upwards of $2800 pp).

We did manage to get a decent deal for our 2016 cruise on the Allure ($1100 pp for a D5 Ocean facing Balcony stateroom) but that's it.

Fewer cruising days I suppose:(

I would look at other lines, we were looking at a Cruise at end of November and prices were very high, Princess was much cheaper for same 7 day cruise ( hundreds cheaper) , decided on Sandals instead. But did get some real nice rates during BOGOHo and have 3 cruises booked

trojan3000, as I was reading I was noting all the prices being quoted were in Dollars, and you thought exactly what I was thinking. Welcome to UK Prices, we have this all the time, check out UK prices that come with no OBC, Dining freebies, cash back or price match.

I had started to look at prices for 2015 during wave season for us that is right after thanksgiving and before Christmas and was blown away at how high prices were I will wait a little while to see if they come down if not will make other choices for vacation. So much for saying that cruising is the best value out there not with the prices I am seeing.

The cost of food and fuel are some of the factors. We are all experiencing those in our day-to-day lives. Why would RCI not pass these costs on to us?

Based on the data there is no increase in food or diesel costs from last year (see charts). IMO RCI is taking advantage of the strong economy and trying to entice new cruisers thru inflated "sale" prices. Airfare is up as well

Last fall prices dropped significantly - Carnival was giving cruises away to fill ships. If booking stops = prices will drop - simple as that. With the number of new ships coming on line over the next few years RCI will have to go to Asia to obtain a higher fare.

Thanks for the good thread

Capture.jpg.1b223d5006c79c9070cd44e399eb8867.jpg

Capture2.jpg.6d802f7653041223896abf43979dc139.jpg

I had started to look at prices for 2015 during wave season for us that is right after thanksgiving and before Christmas and was blown away at how high prices were I will wait a little while to see if they come down if not will make other choices for vacation. So much for saying that cruising is the best value out there not with the prices I am seeing.

I think the ones who say that are the ones who can and do just take last minute cruises, in off-peak seasons.

There's a conversation about this going on in my roll call for January 2015 on the Jewel. Of course most are already booked but many are in disbelief at the current cost of our cruise. I'm so glad I booked when I did because I got a great price.

OMG I was just on RCCL website :eek:and came here to post the same concerns.:confused: I thought their BOGO prices were about what we always paid..no big deal.. So now I'm looking for February when I'm off from work and the cruise prices for our normal D3 are from $3500 to $4000 for the two of us without air. That is over $1500 more than we have been paying. So I want to use my open booking so I looked at next summer leaving from NJ so we would not have air and the Liberty which is replacing the Explorer is about $6000 for the 9 day.. we used to paid low $3000 and the five day to Bermuda is about $3500. They have gotton WAY out of control. I realize it is early but still.......:mad:

So I went to Celebritys website and their prices are lower than RCCL..since when??? and they have better service. SO I guess we will put on hold our open booking and just book Celebrity when we are on their Summit next week.

Oh well...at least there are other cruise lines and RCCL still may have sales again in the future......

I've never sailed Celebrity but I checked their prices because an acquaintance of mine told me she's sailing on the Summit the same dates I'm sailing on the Jewel. Although I booked my cruise well before the sail, I got a great price but I was so shocked at how much more reasonable Celebrity is now compared to RC. I assumed Celebrity would be priced higher. If I was looking to book today, I'd definitely be booking Celebrity because it's about $500 cheaper. That's the cost of the flight!