Is it me or are these prices out of control

The most difficult thing about pricing (for anything) is -- where is it going to go?

Regardless of what you buy: car, home, vacation, clothes, whatever:

If you wait for a low (er) price, you could get shut out; no stock/supply of what you want.

If you buy something, the price could go down....and perhaps you can get some type of 'compensation' or adjustment from the company providing the service; but then again, perhaps you can get NO adjustment or compensation.

If you buy something and the price goes up....you feel you got a bargain.

These are the options throughout the commerce world....so buy/purchase/reserve what you want for the price you feel is fair.

If you don't think it is a fair price, DON'T do it.

But don't be angry at the company....it is and HAS ALWAYS been the way of commerce. If you owned any company, you would do what you had to do, to make a profit and keep making a profit.

It is ridiculous what we are paying for milk, bread and gas....I would love food and gas prices to be lower....for sure.

Your Milk, Bread and Gas prices are Ridiculously "Low" compared to what we have to pay:D:D:D

Possibly why so many from Australia and UK have taken to cruising of late given the high cost of food and vacation accommodation makes even the higher prices of a sailing a good deal:)

Your Milk, Bread and Gas prices are Ridiculously "Low" compared to what we have to pay:D:D

Possibly why so many from Australia and UK have taken to cruising of late given the high cost of food and vacation accommodation makes even the higher prices of a sailing a good deal:)

We were very surprised at the cost of things in Sydney. It had nothing to do with the exchange rate, the basic price of things (Subway sandwiches, for instance) are just much higher than in the US.

We loved our visit...it was just interesting. :D:):D

Edited by Coralc

This seems to be a strange cruise booking practice many have entered into:confused:

What other products do people buy then wait in the hope they go down in price so they can get a refund of the difference?

It's not "strange" at all.........:rolleyes: The cruiselines have created this practice by allowing it people to get price-drops. Why wouldn't people watch for opportunities to take advantage of it??

The supply and demand is the correct answer and the best way seems to now be book as early as possible before prices go up. Cruising is still the best value and now people are also willing to pay for a great experience such as the newer ships.

As a bonus to shareholders, the stock is at an all time high :)

It's not "strange" at all.........:rolleyes: The cruiselines have created this practice by allowing it people to get price-drops. Why wouldn't people watch for opportunities to take advantage of it??

As long as we're able to cancel a cruise before final payment is due, without a penalty, the practice will not change... unless they start pricing like the airlines with non-refundable fares.

Also, I am not loyal to one cruiseline... I like many, so as long as they offer a cruise at a price I'm willing to pay for the itinerary I want, I will go with the cheapest. I did not cruise on RCI for a long time because they were just too expensive compared to similar cruises with Carnival, NCL or Celebrity. We're willing to try Princess but the right itinerary has not come up and we cruised once with HAL and although we had a great time, it's just not our style and Disney is too expensive.

A nice surprise yes to get a price drop just as it is to get a free upgrade but way too many "Expect" price drops, it almost seems as if they factored them in when booking.

Then complaints arise when a cheaper fare specifically states for new bookings only?

I have only done 9 cruises but I have never had a price drop because I always choose my cruise prices at the best price in the first instance:)

We were very surprised at the cost of things in Sydney. It had nothing to do with the exchange rate, the basic price of things (Subway sandwiches, for instance) are just much higher than in the US.

We loved our visit...it was just interesting. :D:):D

You should try where I live in Perth:eek: Its becoming un sustainable.

When we returned from our most recent USA trip in early July we begrudged handing over money for anything in Perth!

We almost had to take out a Mortgage to buy a sandwich on our transfer at Melbourne airport :D

Bring on Walmart Australia:D

As long as we're able to cancel a cruise before final payment is due, without a penalty, the practice will not change... unless they start pricing like the airlines with non-refundable fares.

Also, I am not loyal to one cruiseline... I like many, so as long as they offer a cruise at a price I'm willing to pay for the itinerary I want, I will go with the cheapest. I did not cruise on RCI for a long time because they were just too expensive compared to similar cruises with Carnival, NCL or Celebrity. We're willing to try Princess but the right itinerary has not come up and we cruised once with HAL and although we had a great time, it's just not our style and Disney is too expensive.

I am pretty sure if you cancel a booked cruise with RCI Australia you cannot re book the same and take advantage of the price drop?

That is the exchange rate in part though. Our dollar is worth slightly less than yours, so the basic price would generally be higher to ensure returns to the US owners of Subway.

That said, our prices also include tax in the basic price, whereas yours don't, so I always found your prices higher once you actually came to pay.

Just did a comparison of a 12" tuna sub in California. There it's US$6.35 + 7.5% = $6.83. Here it's AU$7.00 no more to pay. Convert US6.83 and you have AU7.27.

So basic price cheaper in the US, but after exchange rates dearer in the US. All up, not a major difference.

Edited by The_Big_M

Someone posted above in reply to my post about the Freedom cruise we've got booked in 2016 that shot up over $1,200. Yep, the GGG sale was $1,099 per person for a suite...for the 8/24/14 sailing. That's the problem with those sales for me...I don't have quite that much flexibility to wait to book a few weeks before the cruise. Not to mention how much airfare usually is the closer you book it.

Edited by shutterbug63

It is wonderful to get price drops when you can, no doubt.....but cruisers who get angry when they can't get price drops and they were 'almost expecting them to be able to' is absurd.

It is wonderful to get price drops when you can, no doubt.....but cruisers who get angry when they can't get price drops and they were 'almost expecting them to be able to' is absurd.

You are very right. And, once again, it is those same people who are responsible for the pricing and the lack of a drop. They make the reservation at a price they don't really like. RCI sees that the cruise is selling at that price so why would they lower it? Some people just don't get it.

I will not book at the pricing that I am seeing right now for the cruises that I am interested in. If pricing does not come down we simply may not cruise this winter. The way I see it I win either way. Pricing comes down and we cruise or it does not come down and I have a few thousand dollars more in my bank acount.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Doesn't look like prices are coming down any time soon... Got another alert this morning that prices for our February 8th Nav cruise are up *again*. I've lost track of how many price increases there have been since I booked in March. We're paying $1445 total with fare, taxes, and fees for 2 pax in an E1 -- it's now at $3343. That's NUTS. That's right at what I've paid for Disney cruises.

I will not book at the pricing that I am seeing right now for the cruises that I am interested in.

I agree. I am watching a couple of sailings for Oasis in February. They are now DOUBLE before the BOGOHO sale. $2700 PP for a Boardwalk balcony... don't think so. :rolleyes: The inventory has remained pretty constant as well from before BOGOHO sale as I am watching that on another site.

Doesn't look like prices are coming down any time soon... Got another alert this morning that prices for our February 8th Nav cruise are up *again*. I've lost track of how many price increases there have been since I booked in March. We're paying $1445 total with fare, taxes, and fees for 2 pax in an E1 -- it's now at $3343. That's NUTS. That's right at what I've paid for Disney cruises.

Just out of curiosity...what are you using to get the alerts? Other than having to do a fake booking, I do not know how else to see the prices??

Just out of curiosity...what are you using to get the alerts? Other than having to do a fake booking, I do not know how else to see the prices??

Other than cruise critic as mentioned above, there is a better site (IMO) which apparently can't be named as it competes with CC. But if you did some googling for site that monitor cruise prices, it would probably come up.

Agree, I think the BOGOHO and "kids" sail free promos were very well received and there just isn't much inventory out there.

You had a kids sail free promo. I've never seen anything like that in the UK. Someone please post if ever they see anything like that in UK, would love to sail with Daughter and family but price too much for 4 of them.

You can get them from Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop/

Other than cruise critic as mentioned above, there is a better site (IMO) which apparently can't be named as it competes with CC. But if you did some googling for site that monitor cruise prices, it would probably come up.

Thanks! I never really thought to monitor them other than a mock booking...then again, I'm such an obsessive planner that the whole "watch and wait" thing just isn't for me. I ended up moving my next cruise to a different sailing just because I couldn't stand to wait to see if they dropped enough for me to upgrade to the type of cabin I really wanted. But it's interesting to see the changes so I can hopefully make good calls for future bookings.

It is totally worth it to pay for that other site as they send you email alerts every time the price changes. I am waiting on the 11/2 Allure cruise to drop as I refuse to pay $2500 for a solo inside cabin. I used to go and do mock bookings twice a day to see if the price dropped but now I just wait for the site to send me the alert.

I had already booked all the cruises for 2015-2016 prior to the BOGOHO promo. I ended up with a $200 pp price drop on 1 cruise and the rest were still higher. I've been very surprised at how much they have raised their selling prices.

On the other hand, we are doing a land bridge trip in between Quantum and Brilliance next May and it's a bargain to pay for a day on the ship compared to a hotel and three meals a day in London and Paris.