Is it me or are these prices out of control

Been looking at a Central Park cabin on Allure for Thanksgiving week of 2015 and the prices are pretty high. Even with a huge discount it is still a bit too high. The discount some $600+ must be unadvertised as the balcony discount is $225.

You both raise good points. One year I really wanted to book Independence and it would have been our first cruise on a Freedom class ship. However, the pricing was way too high. Finally we made other plans and then the pricing for the Independence cruise dropped like a rock but it was too late for us. Maybe that cruise sailed with every cabin booked but I doubt it and there would have been one more occupied cabin if RCI hadn't had such ridiculous pricing.

Maybe RCI thinks that all of our worlds revolve around them but it isn't so.

Hey you :rolleyes:

Regardless of what some people say, RCCL has raised prices through the roof, starting with their "special sales" - like kids sail free and the BOGOH.

They have taken the opportunity to reprice their cruises significantly higher, and they expect to KEEP the prices much higher. Supply and demand have nothing to do with this - they have used these special "sales" to jack up their prices past the normal price increases you would expect from a company.

Their new reduced OBC for Future Cruise bookings also show that they do not appreciate their loyal customers.

We will still cruise, but we will spend significantly less on incidentals on future cruise - less gambling - less alcohol - less onboard purchases..........this will help offset the higher cruise prices they are forcing you and I to pay. Prices will only come down when people quit booking, or when they have excess cabins AFTER you and I have made our final payments.

Come on people, RCL has every right to raise their prices since they booked so many extra cabins with the BOGOHO sale. If prices went back to normal, every ship would be sell out weeks or months in advance. If prices are too high, they'll drop. I wouldn't necessarily reward that, but you can either wait for the next sale, book and hope the price drops, wait for last minute deals, or choose a different cruise line. It's honestly kind of fun to jump around. ;)

It is ALL about supply and demand. Also, we all got spoiled for a while with LOW prices and great deals. You ever think prices are now back to where they SHOULD be? The economy has picked up, more ppl can afford to take vacations now, and they are discovering that cruises are STILL way cheaper and better then the traditional vacations.

Also, people are willing to pay a little more for even more amenities that the newer ships have.

Bottom line- RCL is a publically traded company and here to make money. It's been great for shareholders like me. However, like any other place I shop I still try to shop wisely and take advantage of sales. Now we have to be more savvy than ever.

Price manipulations of RCL are NOTHING compared to the airlines. They are ridiculous. I'm checking one flight for future travel to London and the price on BA went from $1199 to $1660 in 3 days!

Edited by OTownNick

It is ALL about supply and demand. Also, we all got spoiled for a while with LOW prices and great deals. You ever think prices are now back to where they SHOULD be?

No. You're right though, supply and demand. Don't forget all the new ships being built on each line affecting the supply end of it. If prices are where they SHOULD be, why didn't April and May sailings book to capacity months in advance? Why did Royal Caribbean have the Bogoho sale to begin with? How are they going to compete with their competitors who haven't matched these price increases?

First, I wouldn't get too comfortable with an economy based on real estate and stock market bubbles, they always pop. 2nd, the economy was about the same in April before the Bogoho sale, and in June when they decided to extend it.

I'm not disagreeing that demand and loose cash hasn't increased, but I think the Bogoho sale itself is the driving force behind supply and demand. There are less cabins available than normal, reducing the supply within RCL. However many RCL fans have already loaded the boat through 2016, there will be fewer 1st time cruisers at these prices, resulting in less demand over time. Prices will fall.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

No. You're right though, supply and demand. Don't forget all the new ships being built on each line affecting the supply end of it. If prices are where they SHOULD be, why didn't April and May sailings book to capacity months in advance? Why did Royal Caribbean have the Bogoho sale to begin with? How are they going to compete with their competitors who haven't matched these price increases?

First, I wouldn't get too comfortable with an economy based on real estate and stock market bubbles, they always pop. 2nd, the economy was about the same in April before the Bogoho sale, and in June when they decided to extend it. I'm not disagreeing that demand and loose cash hasn't increased, but I think the Bogoho sale itself is the driving force behind these increased prices, and supply and demand.

If people want the product that Royal offers and are willing to pay the price they charge, simply put -- they will. Other cruise lines offer different things, and as I was discussing with someone who came off a Princess ship one week after I came off of Allure...to compare the two experiences (between entertainment and activities) he felt that they were in a dingy compared to what I did/had on Allure. There in is part of the supply and demand.

If people stop paying Royals prices, Royal will have to adjust -- simple as that.

So if someone feels prices are out of control and too high -- seek another cruise line or different type of vacation. Or wait for a price you are willing to pay....either way.

And like I predicted, another massive sale started today.

Prices weren't high the past couple of weeks because of incredible demand or low inventory... It's just new pricing strategy is jacking up prices to discount them through constant "sales".

Prices weren't high the past couple of weeks because of incredible demand or low inventory... It's just new pricing strategy is jacking up prices to discount them through constant "sales".

The former GM pricing model :rolleyes:

It's very aggravating!

I am going to start looking at other cruise lines.

And it is likely that you will find similar situations with whatever other line you look at. They all charge whatever they believe their market will bear and if that is less than what RCI is charging it is most likely because they don't believe that their clients will pay those prices. None are operating as charitable or non-profit organizations and are seeking to obtain the most revenue that they can and to fill as many cabins as possible. As the economy continues to improve and more and more people are no longer putting off booking a cruise, expect higher prices to become the norm.

It's very aggravating!

I am going to start looking at other cruise lines.

I understand your frustration....for the first time we are looking at other cruise lines for next fall! We have only used RCCL but I think it is time for us to start comparing the various cruise lines. After we try one or two we may find that we only want to use RCCL...but until now we never had the desire to compare.

I understand your frustration....for the first time we are looking at other cruise lines for next fall! We have only used RCCL but I think it is time for us to start comparing the various cruise lines. After we try one or two we may find that we only want to use RCCL...but until now we never had the desire to compare.

Likewise.

Supply and demand forces being what they are, it cuts both ways. RCCL can jack up their rates all they want, resulting in lower demand and folks like myself looking to other cruise lines for the first time and giving them the opportunity to WOW me over not just one time but possibly for many more sailings.

I'm loyal to Royal but I am not blindly loyal. I hope the fine folks in corporate who want to squeeze as many dollars from guest bookings as possible realize that they are pushing a significant segment of repeat cruisers away towards other cruise and travel options before their domestic earnings take a nose dive. As long as they keep pushing me to the competition with their prices and insulting my intelligence with these bogus 'sales', I won't be booking anything with them in the foreseeable future.

Edited by AntiMatter
typo

And with the new round of sales that began today....the price we got when we booked our next cruise during the last BOGOHO, is still better than the price it would be if we booked with this newer pricing.

Constant sales has been shown to be what consumers want....JCPenny found that out several years ago....so the cruise line is using that strategy as well.

When it works well for consumers, they love it.

We were looking too, for a winter cruise. I feel that they are too high in price. If RCCL is giving me more for my money, than I can understand paying more. But I believe they are not. So I will keep my money until I find the right cruise on RCCL or a different line.

Likewise.

Supply and demand forces being what they are, it cuts both ways. RCCL can jack up their rates all they want, resulting in lower demand and folks like myself looking to other cruise lines for the first time and giving them the opportunity to WOW me over not just one time but possibly for many more sailings.

I'm loyal to Royal but I am not blindly loyal. I hope the fine folks in corporate who want to squeeze as many dollars from guest bookings as possible realize that they are pushing a significant segment of repeat cruisers away towards other cruise and travel options before their domestic earnings take a nose dive. As long as they keep pushing me to the competition with their prices and insulting my intelligence with these bogus 'sales', I won't be booking anything with them in the foreseeable future.

I agree with you. I say this from my Pike's Peak view room where we checked in to find a towel animal on our bed - no kidding, toiletries in the bathroom, and pen and paper in the drawer. We increasingly like leaving our room as early as we want and coming back as late as we want. The hotel stays put and waits for us. :)

Marriott has a fabulous loyalty program, too.

Current RCI prices and policies are driving us off. We have nothing booked that we are sticking with after this year. $500 a night for a junior suite is way too much for any itinerary and that's the cost of what we have booked next year which was early pricing. They WILL be canceled. THe BOGOHO pricing was and is even higher.

Gina

We were looking too, for a winter cruise. I feel that they are too high in price. If RCCL is giving me more for my money, than I can understand paying more. But I believe they are not. So I will keep my money until I find the right cruise on RCCL or a different line.

The quality of their cruises has really dropped. Bottom line, they are trying to attract new cruisers. The frequency of our cruise vacations have really declined with Royal Caribbean...but we still haven't quite found the perfect place or option for other vacation venues. :D

But how many switch to land trips when they pull this garbage? I know we did.

Land vacations don't fascinate me, much.....right now. We did a Breezes all inclusive trip a few years back and it was nice, but most land trips with the its constant planning for dinner and looking for activities to do....just don't thrill me much.

With a cruise, I have excursions to choose from provided; dinner is provided and even we can decide to take advantage of specialty options if we choose to.....entertainment is provided as well....it works well for us. Then we find a cruise that fits what we want to spend. Royal can't make us spend more than we want to.

But how many switch to land trips when they pull this garbage? I know we did.

A land trip is a totally different experience from a cruise. It may be better for some but not an acceptable alternative for others. There can be definite drawbacks to land-based vacations including the problem of weather at a fixed location which, unlike a cruise ship, can't move when faced with bad weather.I think we need to recognize that as the economy continues to improve and the cruise lines continue to fill their ships, prices are not going to drop back to the bargain levels we have become accustomed to. And you can expect those prices at land-based resorts to rise if enough dissatisfied cruisers decide to book those kinds of trips. They are businesses after all is said and done, not charities, and their first concern will always be to maximize their profits.

A land trip is a totally different experience from a cruise. It may be better for some but not an acceptable alternative for others. There can be definite drawbacks to land-based vacations including the problem of weather at a fixed location which, unlike a cruise ship, can't move when faced with bad weather.I think we need to recognize that as the economy continues to improve and the cruise lines continue to fill their ships, prices are not going to drop back to the bargain levels we have become accustomed to. And you can expect those prices at land-based resorts to rise if enough dissatisfied cruisers decide to book those kinds of trips. They are businesses after all is said and done, not charities, and their first concern will always be to maximize their profits.

But only a small percentage of North Americans cruise. Where do you think the larger percentage of North Americans vacation? Land trips. When it came to paying $1,500 per person for an 7 day cruise vs $1500 for 9 nights in Hawaii for us the choice was a no brainier (our air is the same). All I'm saying is cruise lines aren't just battling each other, they're also battling land trips.

I think they are using the frequent sales marketing technique to primarily attract first-time cruisers ("yay, we're going on first cruise and we got an awesome sale price"), who end up providing an overall better profit margin compared to repeat cruisers who get loyalty discounts, spend months tracking prices and are less prone to falling for being nickel and dimed while on board.

So, I can't really blame RCI. They are trying to make more money.

That said, I still think whether the non-sale or sale prices are any good is specific to individual sailings (and sometimes specific categories on individual sailings). When we booked our cruise that we're going on next week under that very first KSF promotion, we got a junior suite for less than the D1 would have cost us for 4 people before the sale, and they didn't change the 1 & 2 prices on that sailing.

I didn't think the prices were too bad for upcoming Labor Day cruises I have been watching like a hawk for awhile. I ended up finding the Freedom of the Seas for $750pp for August 31st, in an aft balcony. I only booked a few days ago and now they're only offering guarantee rooms at that price so I'm glad I got it when I did. It's more than I would have ever spent on Carnival (the line I cruise the most) but on the other hand, I hadn't seen that low of a balcony price on FOS. I think the final price after taxes, tips and the optional insurance was right under $2000 total for 2 people. Prices for other hurricane season cruises are also priced competitively. It's a great time for a last minute deal if you are able to take off work and drive to the port.

I sure don't see any "deals" out there. I am wondering if I should book something and then hope that the prices come way down but with people booking multiple cruises, they won't decide until final payment is due to cancel which will only help those who can book at the last minute.