Is it me or are these prices out of control

Well, in order to re-sell something you have to own something. The TA does not give any money to the line to create the groups, but they do have to produce results. If the line does not see sales, the cruise line can take back all the cabins any time they want.

Neither do I, but I still own the cabin and booking. I can also call it selling short- since stocks are sold without even owning them.

You call it one thing, I call it re-selling- it's the same thing. Some other party booked a big chunk of the rooms that pushed up the pricing and reduced the room selection- that's what really matters.

Edited by alfaeric

Is it really that shocking that a sale was actually, *gasp*, a sale?

It does seem as if more cabins are actually booked- whether they are real, a re-seller, or someone who does not intend to sail. We looked at alternate cabins, but none are available (for example, there are NO suites available on a Majesty cruise in Feb :eek:- it's so rare for one of those to sell out prior to final payment).

I still don't understand why someone would book a cruise with no intention to sail on it. Especially since that promotion is not transferrable what so ever.

The re-sellers- don't understand how they can do this- seems as if when the name changes, the booking changes, and the BOGOHO sale goes away. Although, I could be wrong- and this could also have been a big carrot to travel agents. dunno.

Since *most* of the sale was about '15 and '16 sailings, we won't find out if there's a deal until December with a final payment due for a '15 sailing.

When we booked a couple cruises a few months ago, I used some of the newer not so good bookings. The Royal TA asked me why I didn't make a specific booking on the ship, then change it before final payment. So I'm guessing a lot of people are going that route to get that extra OBC. She told me that I should be able to keep the same OBC unless I change categories, length of cruise, etc. But with all the policy changes that I've seen recently, are we really sure they won't change the OBC to the Open Booking model when the time comes?

Also, for Grandeur in October, we're getting our GS for just $8 more than the current price for a D1. :)

We've been pretty pleased with the prices. 3 of us are going on the Navigator in a Royal Family Suite for around $4000 for 7 nights.

That is quite a bargain compared to the $7000 DH and I paid in May for a week at an AI in Mexico for just the 2 of us.

We've been pretty pleased with the prices. 3 of us are going on the Navigator in a Royal Family Suite for around $4000 for 7 nights.

That is quite a bargain compared to the $7000 DH and I paid in May for a week at an AI in Mexico for just the 2 of us.

Wow!....that is a good deal...I hope you will post a review about the new and improved NOS and Galveston...

Our Southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure in Feb 2015 went from $3600 for the two of us to $7100! Glad we booked when we did.

Same for us. Our promenade cabin on AOS in January is now at $2800, almost double what we got when we booked in April.

Based on the data there is no increase in food or diesel costs from last year (see charts). IMO RCI is taking advantage of the strong economy and trying to entice new cruisers thru inflated "sale" prices. Airfare is up as well

Last fall prices dropped significantly - Carnival was giving cruises away to fill ships. If booking stops = prices will drop - simple as that. With the number of new ships coming on line over the next few years RCI will have to go to Asia to obtain a higher fare.

Thanks for the good thread

I can comment on the fuel cost based on input from a "From the Top" briefing on an RCL ship last year. A question on the cost of fuel was raised relative to the surcharge warning we all are subject to. The Captain or Chief Engineer responded that RCCL contracts at a fixed price some 5 years in advance keeping costs relatively stable minimizing the need for a fuel surcharge. Your charts seem to validate that they are just recently having to commit to higher fuel costs via newer contracts.

Don't think the cost of food chart for the Urban Consumer is a good representation of what RCCL raw food costs are.

Obviously this is a WAG on my part but common sense says costs are driving inflation higher. The remarks of some on CC seem to indicate that prices should stay the way they have been.

I tend to agree that the BOGOHO sale took a lot of the inventory. I booked 2 cruises by myself, and have seen people here that booked multiple cruises. Those of you who think the prices were high during the sale, I saved $800.00 on a 9 night from what it was last year, and $270.00 on a 3 night to the Bahamas. Prior the that they had the Kids sail free sale. I'm sure there are cabins available, but RCCL is in no hurry to push the panic button yet and lower prices. They will probably wait till after final payment.

I am one of those people that are waiting on final payment to see if the price goes down. A large group of friends are sailing on the 11/2/14 Allure sailing and I would like to join them. Currently the price is $1844 for a solo inside cabin and I just don't want to pay that. If I had booked when they did the price would have been around $1300. My TA seems to think that the price will go down but it won't be until after final payment which is in August. I am lucky in that I can leave at the last minute and I can use frequent flyer miles for the airfare.

I did book an 11 day Greece trip for November 2015 several months ago and right now the price has jumped almost $1000 for a solo inside cabin. So glad that I booked it when I did but really am wondering how high can these prices go?

I don't get it. If you booked during these recent fantastic sales you in the US have experienced, then you're happy aren't you? Why does it matter if the price has increased? You got a bargain didn't you?

Or is it because you can cancel with no penalty, that you're worried that when you decide you don't fancy some of the cruises you've booked and so you cancel them (not losing a dime btw) but want to book another the prices will be too high for you?

It looks like you're locked into those you've booked if you want bargains, otherwise you'll have to pay up more. Can't have it both ways.

I've been watching an Oasis sailing for next March. After the sail it went up close to $1000 for 3 people. This morning it had went up a few hundred since Sat/Sun, and just now when i checked it had gone down about $300. I can not figure out this pricing, and I'm just planning to keep an eye on it and hope it goes down...

I was looking at pricing a future cruise. I just can't believe the prices. I know that the prices were a bit higher during the BOGOHO promotion, but now that the promo is over, the prices are still way out there. A 7 day on the Adventure for $1700 pp. That's just crazy. I was looking at January or February. I know it is high season but we've cruised at that time in the past and haven't had to pay these prices. We are booked on the Independence for next October. Booked at around $900 pp. Now the price is at over $1200 pp and that is hurricane season.

Any insight as to why this is happening? Is this what we have to expect in the future? If so, might have to consider land based vacations. Bummer.

I think they are trying to get you use to paying quantum prices on every ship they have.Pay it the price will stay high,refuse to pay them the price will come down.It is a game learn how to play it. :)

I made out pretty well on my 2015 cruise with the bogoho, but the 2016 cruises I have been considering/watching, are off the charts expensive right now. If they don't come down to where I'm comfortable, I'll just take a land vacation somewhere. I enjoy cruising, but not THAT much! :eek:

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

There are still some reasonable prices out there if you can be flexible.

Our March 7 sailing on the Jewel is still within $100 of both the Carnival Valor (lower) and Celebrity Summit (higher) - for an outside cabin.. Prices only went up $44 pp since the sale ended :)

I think like all sailings/itineraries available every year it really depends on what sailing you are researching. For example, West Coast Jewel interior & ocean views have gone up quite a bit, and especially since BOGOHO, but there are a ton of cabins left so I don't buy the supply & demand argument. Same with 2016/16 Caribbean itineraries on Serenade/Vision/Brilliance are waaaay up with a plenty of cabins. My Quantum sailing did not go up at all in December. My Europe sailing in Sept has very few cabins and prices have skyrocketed. My Legend sailing next March has many cabins that stayed available throughout the sale and is actually down slightly in price now after BOGOHO!

I follow prices obsessively for the last 3-4 years especially... I don't understand the current pricing and I truly don't believe it's supply & demand at all. These are the highest prices I've ever seen hands down. I can't put my finger on it. It's almost like they need to justify their recent 2-3 months of massive sales to re-enforce to the public to buy at a frenzy en-mass when there is a supposed sale... I just don't know.

RCL pricing is currently much higher than all other mass market lines in the Caribbean and making the luxury liners (with free alcohol, free excursions, free airfare, 2 for 1 pricing ie. Oceana, Azamara) in Eurpoe on other exotic locations look like a real value in comparison.

Somebody has to pay for the amusement parks of the seas.Enjoy your bumper cars. :) :D

Currently have 10 cruises booked and I/we will go on all of them. First one up is Sept on FOS, price had gone up since final payment, not down. Looking to add another week and make it B2B, but I doubt that will happen. No worries

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I also think the prices are too high. I will just wait for them to come down. In the mean time I am putting in a new kitchen, instead of paying Royal the inflated prices! I do really miss the Ocean. Is cheaper for me to fly to Bahamas and stay for 5 days, food included.:mad:

Soo glad I found this thread. I've been watching prices for the Oasis June 2015. Inside cabins running about $1500/pp. YIKES! :eek: So yep I'm checking other cruise lines and dates. I know Oasis is expensive and summer months also add a little but $1500 for an inside. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! We kind of want to go back to Hawaii for a land vacation anyways!

I'm also looking a NOS for Christmas. This is just high anyways, $1000/inside but it did go up a little after the sales. No big deal I just need to bite the bullet and book it! LOL!!

I'll watch for a few months and see what happens.

Edited by cynt

Soo glad I found this thread. I've been watching prices for the Oasis June 2015. Inside cabins running about $1500/pp. YIKES! :eek: So yep I'm checking other cruise lines and dates. I know Oasis is expensive and summer months also add a little but $1500 for an inside. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! We kind of want to go back to Hawaii for a land vacation anyways!

I'm also looking a NOS for Christmas. This is just high anyways, $1000/inside but it did go up a little after the sales. No big deal I just need to bite the bullet and book it! LOL!!

I'll watch for a few months and see what happens.

Im watching Oasis SEP/OCT 15 myself. Outside Balconies are 1500 per person right now...were 890 with the sale. Wish I booked it but I already booked 2 others in 3 days during the sale....

Yeah summer prices....not interested.

Im watching Oasis SEP/OCT 15 myself. Outside Balconies are 1500 per person right now...were 890 with the sale. Wish I booked it but I already booked 2 others in 3 days during the sale....

Yeah summer prices....not interested.

I just booked an outside balcony on the Oasis for 9/12/15 for half that price (with a lot of extra perks) through a particular national company. Is there a way for me to tell you where the deal is without getting in trouble? I've never posted here and I don't want to break the rules. It's a very well-known company (not one that most people think of for travel, though).

I just booked an outside balcony on the Oasis for 9/12/15 for half that price (with a lot of extra perks) through a particular national company. Is there a way for me to tell you where the deal is without getting in trouble? I've never posted here and I don't want to break the rules. It's a very well-known company (not one that most people think of for travel, though).

American expressssssss? If break rules, post is deleted..