Is it me or are these prices out of control

Must be because I'm looking at March. AS SEA-OGG is $1100+ for the dates we want.

Maui is high this year. We noticed that too. The $99 companion ticket on Alaska is a big help :). Bellingham to Maui has some fares under $500 for March

Edited by Cruise Junky

I was looking at pricing a future cruise. I just can't believe the prices.

Although with different cruise lengths, itineraries, and ships, it's hard to compare, I just did a quick search and found cruises for $53.75 pp/per night which really isn't bad.

We usually look for cruises under $100 pp/per night, and I don't think we've ever paid much more (base rate) even for a balcony. We have a cruise coming up in Nov. for $63.22 pp/per night (base) for 9 days.

Everyone has a budget, and an idea of what they consider to be expensive or not, but we've still been able to find some good rates. If you're flexible, you can get some good deals. Obviously, if you're less flexible, then you have more limited choices.

This is what the cruise I wanted to book has done...$1,164 during the sale and now at $1,899 :eek:

Price Created Updated

$ 1,319 2013‑04‑18 2013‑07‑25

$ 1,369 2013‑07‑25 2013‑12‑30

$ 1,245 2013‑12‑30 2014‑01‑02

$ 1,369 2014‑01‑02 2014‑01‑21

$ 1,339 2014‑01‑21 2014‑04‑18

$ 1,473 2014‑04‑18 2014‑05‑01

$ 1,104 2014‑05‑01 2014‑06‑02

$ 1,127 2014‑06‑02 2014‑06‑13

$ 1,164 2014‑06‑13 2014‑07‑16

$ 1,553 2014‑07‑16 2014‑07‑22

$ 1,619 2014‑07‑22 2014‑07‑23

$ 1,899 2014‑07‑23 2014‑07‑24

The economy is significantly improved. When the economy was bad we saw some bargains. Now the stock marker and real estate have recovered enough to say the economy is good. It seems to go in cycles.

For those that live in bubbles.

Broader economy is still bad, unemployment is even worse, living costs are much higher, maybe that's why I now get more cruise "sale" flyer emails and hardcopy mails than ever before.

Wow :eek:

Our JS on the Oasis for 8/1/15 is now $1870 more than when I booked a few weeks ago. I had been checking every so often and the only difference was the half-off for the second passenger ($1300.) So glad I booked when I did!

Yikes it is getting even crazier. I don't monitor for price increases because I don't want to get excited when I get an email only to find it is an INCREASE and not a decrease:p

I checked several of the cruises I am watching this morning and between Tuesday and last night they ALL jumped from $20 to $60 per person.

AND they were overpriced IMHO to begin with:eek: Holey Moley!!!

Yikes it is getting even crazier. I don't monitor for price increases because I don't want to get excited when I get an email only to find it is an INCREASE and not a decrease:p

I checked several of the cruises I am watching this morning and between Tuesday and last night they ALL jumped from $20 to $60 per person.

AND they were overpriced IMHO to begin with:eek: Holey Moley!!!

One of ours went up $200 per person for a JS yesterday.

I think they are trying to get you use to paying quantum prices on every ship they have.Pay it the price will stay high,refuse to pay them the price will come down.It is a game learn how to play it. :)

The problem is that too many people around here take the attitude that one should just book and then watch for price drops. They don't get it that if the ship is selling then there won't be any price drops.:rolleyes:

We were looking at Southern Caribbean on AOS in June 2015, price we originally got was around €1400 for OV including pre-paid tips for my time dining, now price has has gone up to over €2000.

Had a quick look at other companies and got a price of around €1500 carnival valor, but not sure if we'd be disappointed with that ship and company after 4 cruises with royal including one on Allure.

Is there much of a difference between the 2?

Should we wait and see if royals prices come back down or take the chance with carnival?

We were looking at Southern Caribbean on AOS in June 2015, price we originally got was around €1400 for OV including pre-paid tips for my time dining, now price has has gone up to over €2000.

Had a quick look at other companies and got a price of around €1500 carnival valor, but not sure if we'd be disappointed with that ship and company after 4 cruises with royal including one on Allure.

Is there much of a difference between the 2?

Should we wait and see if royals prices come back down or take the chance with carnival?

We have tried Carnival once. Not a bad cruise at all, but definitely prefer Royal. You may feel completely different, but we felt service and ship design lacked on Carnival. We love Royal Caribbean's ships!

We may be booking a cruise for next March, but right now the prices are through the roof. I'm planning on monitoring them and hoping for a price drop.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We also booked the Adventure of the Seas for June. We booked about a month or so ago. D1 Balcony for $997pp. We had 2 friends that wanted to join us so we checked the rates for them today. The same cabin is $1669pp today. So they would be paying $1300 more than we paid. I suggested that they wait it out and hope the price comes down. However, this isn't one that can wait until the last minute because the airfare would probably be too high to book last minute.

The JS price is around $2000 more than it was a month ago.

I can only assume that Royal is trying to compensate for selling those BOGO cabins at such a low rate, so they need to get a higher rate for the cruises booked for the next few months.

Mr. Supply and Ms. Demand are doing their thing and prices will adapt accordingly. RCI will happily accept higher fares if people will pay them. They will adjust prices until the ship is full.

The price of my cruise has actually dropped from when I checked 2 weeks ago. It is still significantly higher than the price that we booked though. I suspect that there were some cancellations as final payment came due.

The problem is that too many people around here take the attitude that one should just book and then watch for price drops. They don't get it that if the ship is selling then there won't be any price drops.:rolleyes:

True that

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

That's why RC reported record earnings this am.

Actually that's not correct. Their earning dropped since the same quarter last year. However, their plan to save operating expensive has paid off. They had a huge increase in cash flow.

Comments from the financial news:

*Net operating cash flow has increased to $315.79 million or 30.89% when compared to the same quarter last year.

*Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.

Mr. Supply and Ms. Demand are doing their thing and prices will adapt accordingly. RCI will happily accept higher fares if people will pay them. They will adjust prices until the ship is full.

I don't think this is necessarily a case of supply and demand. They have clearly adopted a new pricing model in which base fares are extremely high but frequent sales put fares in a normal range, making passengers think they're getting a fantastic deal.

I'd put money on a massive "sale" coming in the next few weeks.

Something is way out of whack- I have been looking at Jewel in October, prices for insides start at $920 +. They have NEVER been that price before!

If I look at August however, prices start at $549. Those prices should be reversed. Generally they are in the 600's....

I don't think this is necessarily a case of supply and demand. They have clearly adopted a new pricing model in which base fares are extremely high but frequent sales put fares in a normal range, making passengers think they're getting a fantastic deal.

I'd put money on a massive "sale" coming in the next few weeks.

I don't get why folks keep putting "sale" in quotes. I found BOGO to be an amazing sale and made out like a bandit on my Oasis booking for next Oct. I booked a B1 Boardwalk balcony with a D+ balcony discount for a total of $1357 for 2. I'm overjoyed. If some people don't consider this a sale then I would love to know where they normally book their cruises. Price today for this category is a total of $1900 more. :eek: However, there are only 9 B1 cabins left. So in this case, supply and demand seems to be the culprit.

I think the bias against "sale" comes from the fact that many of the cruises mysteriously suffer a large price increase the night before the "sale" starts.

I also got some deals out of the KSF and BOGOHO sales over the last few months but also saw several cruises I was watching get more expensive when the sale started than they were the day before the sale.

Nothing wrong with playing games with the pricing but it means people are suspicious of the "sales".

I think the bias against "sale" comes from the fact that many of the cruises mysteriously suffer a large price increase the night before the "sale" starts.

I also got some deals out of the KSF and BOGOHO sales over the last few months but also saw several cruises I was watching get more expensive when the sale started than they were the day before the sale.

Nothing wrong with playing games with the pricing but it means people are suspicious of the "sales".

I am willing to bet prices will drop. How much? Who knows. But, they always fluctuate.

I don't get why folks keep putting "sale" in quotes. I found BOGO to be an amazing sale and made out like a bandit on my Oasis booking for next Oct. I booked a B1 Boardwalk balcony with a D+ balcony discount for a total of $1357 for 2. I'm overjoyed. If some people don't consider this a sale then I would love to know where they normally book their cruises. Price today for this category is a total of $1900 more. :eek: However, there are only 9 B1 cabins left. So in this case, supply and demand seems to be the culprit.

Just because the recent BOGHO may have been a good deal doesn't erase years of "sales". Plenty of us don't have short memories.

I can't believe the rates for RCI cruises. Just looked 2 weeks ago for cruises late October until late November out of NY area and Florida. Outrageous! so we booked NCL Breakaway out of NY at a great rate.

Too bad, even the stockholders OBC didn't help enough. So glad we booked Quantum more than a year in advance. Who knows if we'll ever be able to go on another RCI cruise, Celebrity and NCL are cheaper for comparable cruises.

Actually that's not correct. Their earning dropped since the same quarter last year. However, their plan to save operating expensive has paid off. They had a huge increase in cash flow.

Comments from the financial news:

*Net operating cash flow has increased to $315.79 million or 30.89% when compared to the same quarter last year.

*Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.

Fred not sure where you got your numbers from but here is the press release numbers as you can see they are well above 2013 nAdjusted Net Income for the second quarter of 2014 was $146.7 million, or $0.66 per share, compared to Adjusted Net Income of $34.2 million, or $0.15 per share, in the second quarter of 2013. US GAAP Net Income for the second quarter 2014 was $137.7 million or $0.62 per share, compared to $24.7 million or $0.11 per share in 2013. umbers..

I agree with you on this. Plus for many years now, a "sale" for RCI was nothing more than discounted deposits and some OBC. That might be a nice promotion, but not really a "sale" in my mind.

I have been tracking all categories on my upcoming 2015 Med. cruise. You can see the week before the BOGOHO sale the prices jumped. We still made out in the sale because we had the price adjusted at the beginning of May. Prices have continued to climb through the roof during and after the sale. Thankful we booked when we did!!!

Rhapsody of the Seas 10-12-15 Price Tracker.pdf