Laundry facilities on board reflection

Erikamac

Are there self serve laundry facilities?

As others have said no laundry facilities fleet wide, also there are no ironing rooms and the steward will not lend you an iron. Irons and steamers are forbidden and will be confiscated at embarkation to be returned at the end of the cruise. Here is the price list, you may have to scroll up or down in the FAQ.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#2

Seriously? That's a bummer. How much is laundry via the room? Is it pricey

Yes, seriously. Celebrity wants us to relax and enjoy ourselves on our vacations, not to spend time doing chores. They provide all necessary laundry services. Just as they will clean your room for you, cook your meals for you, and do your dishes for you. Seriously. :)

Edited by boogs

We use Celebrity for much of our laundry, but do hand wash a few items in our sink.

For a 14 day cruise, we might spend $60 on laundry.

Of course, now we are elite and get the free bag of laundry each.

Princess has them with irons on every deck, and I must say it would have come in handy on our 14 day European trip in May. I actually feel more comfortable washing my own clothes the way I want than to turn them over to the laundry, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. We just sent out what we needed to and considered it an unavoidable expense. I must say, the Reflection laundry did a great job, and it all came back the next day.

I for one, do not miss the "good old days", when part of our "family vacations" were inevitably spent in a laundry room -- or even worse, laundromat! :eek:

I'm glad that Celebrity and RC do not have them. It's hard enough to pick out a good cabin, as it is. One thing I hate about going on a new ship is poring over deck plans, trying to weed out undesirable cabins -- noisy, obstructed view, etc. Laundry rooms would just add to that process. Who would want to be right next door, or across the hall from that? Not me! :rolleyes:

...One thing I hate about going on a new ship is poring over deck plans, trying to weed out undesirable cabins -- noisy, obstructed view, etc. Laundry rooms would just add to that process. Who would want to be right next door, or across the hall from that?...

The same people who spend thousands on a cruise and would rather spend a few hours tied to a laundry machine then shell out an extra $50 or so for laundry would probably love to have a cabin next to a laundry room. Personally, I'm with you. I don't want either myself nor my DW to be tied up doing laundry during our cruise.

Here's a good resource for those looking for ships with self serve laundry.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1614

Lines WITH self-serve Laundry:

• Azamara
  • Carnival
  • Crystal
  • Cunard
  • Disney
  • Oceania
  • Princess
  • Regent Seven Seas
  • Seabourn
  • Uniworld Boutique River Crusie Collection

Lines WITHOUT Self Serve Laundry:

• AmaWaterways
  • Avalon Waterways
  • Celebrity
  • Costa
  • Island Windjammers
  • Lindblad Expeditions
  • MSC
  • NCL
  • Paul Gaugin Cruises
  • Royal Caribbean
  • Windstar

Lines with Some ships WITH and Others WITHOUT-See the link above for more info:

• American Cruise Lines
  • Holland America
  • Viking

• 7 months later...
Neither does RCI....

I would LOVE to have passenger laundries....It's not like you're beating your clothes on a rock or anything! Makes packing, and life in general, easier!

Hi:

If you go online to Magellan, Travelsmith, or REI, you can order drip-dry travel/hiking clothing, underwear, socks, etc. that dry overnight.

I pack a clothesline, plastic clothespins, and powder detergent in a plastic bag (or you can use a few drops of shampoo) and soak the clothes in the sink while I shower. Then rinse and roll the clothes in your towel and hang them on the clothesline (also provided in the shower area). I also bring two rubber inflatable clothes hangers (for sale in luggage stores) for drying shirts faster.

Happy cruising!

Nelleke:)

Here's a good resource for those looking for ships with self serve laundry.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1614

Lines WITH self-serve Laundry:

• Azamara
  • Carnival
  • Crystal
  • Cunard
  • Disney
  • Oceania
  • Princess
  • Regent Seven Seas
  • Seabourn
  • Uniworld Boutique River Crusie Collection

Lines WITHOUT Self Serve Laundry:

• AmaWaterways
  • Avalon Waterways
  • Celebrity
  • Costa
  • Island Windjammers
  • Lindblad Expeditions
  • MSC
  • NCL
  • Paul Gaugin Cruises
  • Royal Caribbean
  • Windstar

Lines with Some ships WITH and Others WITHOUT-See the link above for more info:

• American Cruise Lines
  • Holland America
  • Viking

I find it interesting that the luxury lines provide self serve laundry.After reading some of the comments here as to why Celebrity doesn't provide this service, I guess this is one of the differences between "True Luxury" and "Modern Luxury".

Hi:

If you go online to Magellan, Travelsmith, or REI, you can order drip-dry travel/hiking clothing, underwear, socks, etc. that dry overnight.

I pack a clothesline, plastic clothespins, and powder detergent in a plastic bag (or you can use a few drops of shampoo) and soak the clothes in the sink while I shower. Then rinse and roll the clothes in your towel and hang them on the clothesline (also provided in the shower area). I also bring two rubber inflatable clothes hangers (for sale in luggage stores) for drying shirts faster.

Happy cruising!

Nelleke:)

That's a lot of work to do while on vacation! And you've eneded up spending money on items that you'd only use while on vacation.

It's just easier...and not very expensive...to use the ship's laundry facility and then go about and enjoy your day. No rush...no fuss.

I don't mind doing laundry on vacation. We have done it before and it is pretty easy. It would cost us about $200 or more to send out our laundry on the 11 night cruise. Our plan is to do what we can by hand and try not to smell too bad. We would used the stuff a bag option if it is under $40.

Having your laundry done by sending it out or by doing it yourself - for many people - myself included has nothing to do with cost. It has everything to do with my expensive clothes. That have come back ruined beyond wearing. Shrunk, color transferred a blue grey and wrinkled. I laugh at how people are so judgmental about inferring one cannot afford or is too cheap to pay for laundry service when someone is asking or wishing they had the ability to do their own laundry. I love Celebrity, I think their dry cleaning does o.k. but the laundry stinks - yes I wish I could do my own, yes I can afford to send it out.:eek:

Having your laundry done by sending it out or by doing it yourself - for many people - myself included has nothing to do with cost. It has everything to do with my expensive clothes. That have come back ruined beyond wearing. Shrunk, color transferred a blue grey and wrinkled. I laugh at how people are so judgmental about inferring one cannot afford or is too cheap to pay for laundry service when someone is asking or wishing they had the ability to do their own laundry. I love Celebrity, I think their dry cleaning does o.k. but the laundry stinks - yes I wish I could do my own, yes I can afford to send it out.:eek:

Well said! I have never used the laundry, but I have sent a few shirts to be pressed. I would really appreciate an iron to use to touch up my things after they come out of the suitcase. Thanks to a tip on CC, I do manage to use my flat iron for most things, but a real iron would be great.

I, for one, am another who has NO problem doing a load of laundry while onboard a ship, and I sorely miss this Princess amenity when sailing Celebrity. I do not feel it impedes my "vacation" in the slightest bit (especially on long cruises with multiple sea days), and it sure makes planning and packing MUCH easier.

• 3 months later...

Totally agree with your comments. We are not bothered by the cost of paying for laundry and as a percentage cost of the total cruise it is peanuts. I prefer to launder our clothes as I know what state they will be in at the end of the process, they will be the correct colour and still fit.