Observations fro Equinox President's cruise

smdubowsky

This is our first Mediterranean cruise although we are Elite Plus members. This is our third time on the Equinox and the ship appears to be in great shape. Embarkation went very smoothly. Once on board we were surprised to find that the AquaSpa Cafe was available for lunch as this has not been the case in the past. Maybe it is just for the Presidential cruise? We also learned that since the entirety of the cruise is within the EU, there's a 22% VAT on purchased items. You can get it back when you leave the EU if you are not a resident.

We ate in Blu tonight and the food was excellent as was the service. I'll check back tomorrow. BTW, the internet connection seems to be improved.

Thanks for posting! Always wanted to try the President's cruise. For us, "X" is always great. It must be super to have all the extras. Have a wonderful trip!!!

Edited by Cancruz

This is our first Mediterranean cruise although we are Elite Plus members. This is our third time on the Equinox and the ship appears to be in great shape. Embarkation went very smoothly. Once on board we were surprised to find that the AquaSpa Cafe was available for lunch as this has not been the case in the past. Maybe it is just for the Presidential cruise? We also learned that since the entirety of the cruise is within the EU, there's a 22% VAT on purchased items. You can get it back when you leave the EU if you are not a resident.

We ate in Blu tonight and the food was excellent as was the service. I'll check back tomorrow. BTW, the internet connection seems to be improved.

We have friends on this cruise and it's their first one as Zenith. Suspect that there might be some special things for them. Have a wonderful cruise.

We have friends on this cruise and it's their first one as Zenith. Suspect that there might be some special things for them. Have a wonderful cruise.

Charles,

Is that Bob and Claire?

Just got an email from them today that they made Zenith:)

I wonder if they are the high cruisers?

As for the 22% VAT, is that on EVERYTHING including drinks & specialty restaurants? I know getting the VAT back is not a trivial task:(

Tom

Edited by TommyD3

Charles,

Is that Bob and Claire?

Just got an email from them today that they made Zenith:)

As for the 22% VAT, is that on EVERYTHING including drinks & specialty restaurants? I know getting the VAT back is not a trivial task:(

Tom

Yes it is. Really wonderful people who deserve everything they get.

Edited by Orator

Hmmmm We always had lunch at the Aqua Spa Cafe in the past.

Since the OP ate in Blu the first evening, I suspect they were either in AQ or a Suite, ergo offered to eat lunch in Blu on embarkation. I think that's what the OP meant, but I could be wrong. :confused:

22% VAT -- Wouldn't that be the case if embarkation was in Barcelona and the ship was in Spain territorial waters? I can't believe one would have to pay that for the entire cruise??? I know embarkation in NJ & FL, while in port, you pay the State sales tax for your drink purchases.

Since the OP ate in Blu the first evening, I suspect they were either in AQ or a Suite, ergo offered to eat lunch in Blu on embarkation. I think that's what the OP meant, but I could be wrong. :confused:

22% VAT -- Wouldn't that be the case if embarkation was in Barcelona and the ship was in Spain territorial waters? I can't believe one would have to pay that for the entire cruise??? I know embarkation in NJ & FL, while in port, you pay the State sales tax for your drink purchases.

Since the cruise omly does EU ports is considered fiscally as if not leaving the EU.

THAT's why many cruises touch one non EU Port (my next cruise will go to Kotor) and even though all other 10 ports are EU it does not meet the 100% requirement and will not be taxed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Also On this cruise, and will post some observations as well. there are so many special events on this cruise they did an opening night Captains Club cocktail party, 45 minutes in length.

Elite breakfast in Tuscan used the three tier tray system. Passengers expressed dissatisfaction and apparently tomorrow some other system will be tried.

The liquor store will be closed for the entire cruise and no tobacco sales either.

More observations to come.

Also On this cruise, and will post some observations as well. there are so many special events on this cruise they did an opening night Captains Club cocktail party, 45 minutes in length.

Elite breakfast in Tuscan used the three tier tray system. Passengers expressed dissatisfaction and apparently tomorrow some other system will be tried.

The liquor store will be closed for the entire cruise and no tobacco sales either.

Have a great cruise!!! Looking forward to your reports!:)

They had that on Summit last month. It's such a waste if you just some fruit and maybe one piece of pastry. They have to throw the remainder out as they can't serve it to anyone else. We were told they couldn't do the buffet any longer because it had no sneeze guard. Maybe that's why they discontinued the grand brunch on one sea day of the cruise?

Will you please post if the store is closed the whole trip.

I do need something from the store when I am on board next month.

Not quite sure what this ' 3 tier tray system' means.

I've had afternoon teas, when the food is presented on a 3 tier cake stand.

What would happen to me- I have a Lactose Intolerance, so love the fruit offerings in Elite breakfast,as I am unable to eat pastries.

Not quite sure what this ' 3 tier tray system' means.

I've had afternoon teas, when the food is presented on a 3 tier cake stand.

What would happen to me- I have a Lactose Intolerance, so love the fruit offerings in Elite breakfast,as I am unable to eat pastries.

The 3-tier elite breakfast consisted of the top platter of meats/cheese/lox/cream cheese. The middle plate consisted of a variety of fruit, and the bottom plate consisted of a variety of bread and pastry. So when the plate was delivered to your table of 2, and you just wanted fruit, they had to discard the remainder of food as they couldn't serve it to anyone else.

Last night in Livorno we had the president’s event. We all went on buses to the village of Bolgheri where we met the president of Celebrity, Michael Bayley. The town was lovely and the wine was fantastic.

Today we are in Nice. So far the service has been exemplary . I did notice that Bistro on 5 is now only open from 4PM. The new GastroBar follows the same schedule. I would be wary of taking the Ultimate Dining package on Equinox since the number of dining locations and times available are more limited.

BTW, thestores are open but they charge the VAT. The 5th floor jewelry store claims they will absorb the tax. There is no liqour being sold since there is no incentive to buy onboard.

The 3-tier elite breakfast consisted of the top platter of meats/cheese/lox/cream cheese. The middle plate consisted of a variety of fruit, and the bottom plate consisted of a variety of bread and pastry. So when the plate was delivered to your table of 2, and you just wanted fruit, they had to discard the remainder of food as they couldn't serve it to anyone else.

Thank you.

Sounds just like an English Afternoon tea, except sandwiches are served instead of pastries.

Last night in Livorno we had the president’s event. We all went on buses to the village of Bolgheri where we met the president of Celebrity, Michael Bayley. The town was lovely and the wine was fantastic.

Today we are in Nice. So far the service has been exemplary . I did notice that Bistro on 5 is now only open from 4PM. The new GastroBar follows the same schedule. I would be wary of taking the Ultimate Dining package on Equinox since the number of dining locations and times available are more limited.

BTW, thestores are open but they charge the VAT. The 5th floor jewelry store claims they will absorb the tax. There is no liqour being sold since there is no incentive to buy onboard.

Last month on the EQ both the Gastrobar and Bistro on Five were open early on sea days but later in the afternoon for port days.

There are photos posted by Celebrity on FB.

Only person that I recognise is Perry Grant. Has he jumped ship from Eclipse for this cruise?