A few thoughts from our week on Caribbean Princess

CATGUY7

Just off the Caribbean Princess, and thought I'd share our experience with her. We had a wonderful time. We really had no unpleasant experiences with the ship or crew.

My family - me, my husband and son (13), stayed in our first ever suite (C751) to have plenty of room. It was a wonderful stateroom, and the dreaded beams on the balcony were really not an issue. The sliding door from the bedroom side did open right into a beam, so we just used the other door. I found that when using the balcony, the beams offered a slight bit of privacy. The gaps between the dividers allow a tiny bit of view of the neighbors on each side, and when sitting in the right spots, are covered by the beams (lol). So, although unpleasant to some people, they really were not an issue for us.

The balcony was wide, and we loved having breakfast on it. Our stateroom attendant was Romy, and he was wonderfully attentive. Loved being able to send out our laundry - only sent two bags but they were both returned the following day.

No issues with unfriendly staff. I believe that an experience is as much about what you put into it as what you get out of it - no disrespect to anyone who has had issues. But I think that by greeting others with a smile, only the most unpleasant sort of person won't return it. I imagine that dealing with all sorts of personalities that change each week would be exhausting.

We saw crews painting, stripping and refinishing wood cabinets, sanding - general maintenance that keeps the CB from looking like an older ship. The mattress was comfortable, the pillows were fine (I brought my own just in case) and the room very clean.

The first sea day, the captain announced that we would be stopping to allow someone to inspect a bow thruster (?), so we were stopped for about 5-10 minutes. He said it needed to be done then, as the gentleman that was there to look at it would be disembarking in St. Thomas. Evidently no problems were found, or it was repaired, and we had no mechanical issues that were apparent to me. We left late from Fort Lauderdale, St. Thomas and San Juan, (due to the medical problem and passengers being late to return) but arrived in the next ports early.

We probably didn't utilize the suite perks to our full advantage, but this was meant to be a relaxing week with my family, and that is exactly what it was. I think we were all spoiled by the extra room, so it would be hard to return to a balcony or mini-suite (have to have at least a balcony!).

We had a terrific time, and if the opportunity arises, we would definitely sail the CB again.

Thanks for your comments.

You mean you just stopped in the middle of the ocean and someone came onboard to do the inspection? :eek:

I wondered about that as well, although I defaulted to an existing crew member but there must have been a launch and a breathing apparatus involved ...

Does anyone on these boards know more about this type of situation? Or is this question 'pirating' the thread?

It does sound as though you enjoyed the cruise.

I wondered about that as well, although I defaulted to an existing crew member but there must have been a launch and a breathing apparatus involved ...

Does anyone on these boards know more about this type of situation? Or is this question 'pirating' the thread?

It does sound as though you enjoyed the cruise.

I know I saw a thread on CC about propulsion issues and the diving inspection was done in Ft Lauderdale I believe.

Maybe they were only checking machinery inside the ship when they stopped. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

When the Emerald Princess was having thruster issues last March, they would work on it all day in port and then, a few minutes after we sailed, the captain would announce that we'd be stopping to test what they had done. Then 15 or so minutes later we'd start cruising again. The first time they did that, the captain then announced it wasn't fixed. The second day, he announced the test had gone well and it was fixed.

Do you happen to remember the movies that played while you were inboard?

Yes. On MUTS - Gravity, Need for Speed, Veronica Mars, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.

Thanks for the review. Going out on her in January. Someone talked about the ship needing work. Did you see anything like this?

I like your comment about smiling at people. I found that to be true no matter where you are.

Thanks for the review. Going out on her in January. Someone talked about the ship needing work. Did you see anything like this?

I like your comment about smiling at people. I found that to be true no matter where you are.

I really saw no apparent work needed on this ship. Most of the work being done was cosmetic - painting, etc. - but we've seen it on all the Princess ships we've sailed on. But I really wasn't trying to pick her apart either. Maybe others who have sailed on her before could see things that have aged - we really couldn't.

Hope you have a wonderful time in January!

I really saw no apparent work needed on this ship. Most of the work being done was cosmetic - painting, etc. - but we've seen it on all the Princess ships we've sailed on. But I really wasn't trying to pick her apart either. Maybe others who have sailed on her before could see things that have aged - we really couldn't.

Hope you have a wonderful time in January!

Thanks. We will...after all attitude is a huge part of happiness!

So excited to be going on Princess cruise #2 the Caribbean Princess in February. Does this ship have an International Cafe? We loved the late night snacks on the Ruby.

Was there any dancing at night?

Thanks for the review. It helps us anticipate what fun we will have in 202 days, but whose counting?

Minnie

Honestly I can't answer the question regarding dancing. We usually spent our evenings after dinner watching MUTS and then returning to the cabin. (It's been an exhausting year :) ). I'm sorry I can't answer.

So excited to be going on Princess cruise #2 the Caribbean Princess in February. Does this ship have an International Cafe? We loved the late night snacks on the Ruby.

Was there any dancing at night?

Thanks for the review. It helps us anticipate what fun we will have in 202 days, but whose counting?

Minnie

Yes it has the international cafe and there was dancing in the explorers lounge , wheelhouse bar and sky walkers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I really saw no apparent work needed on this ship. Most of the work being done was cosmetic - painting, etc. - but we've seen it on all the Princess ships we've sailed on. But I really wasn't trying to pick her apart either. Maybe others who have sailed on her before could see things that have aged - we really couldn't!

From what you and others have said, it seems like Princess is finally making sure that all of the maintenance items that had built up are being corrected. I spoke to Customer Relations after a series of issues we experienced with a CB suite in May and was told that the CB was a top topic at senior management meetings given the high number of complaints received. So it's good to hear that they have taken the feedback to heart and have fixed what was broken. Glad you enjoyed your cruise!