Currently on Sojourn, very large group on board

cruising kirby

This thread is very damaging for Seabourn.I am really reconsidering booking with them.

Should I?

Jane,

Although all lines are actively marketing to groups, your chances of encountering a group are low'ish. But if I were in your situation, being UK based, I suggest you glance at the suggestions I made earlier with respect to pre-booking contact with SB and if you are happy with the response then proceed. Then, if in the event you believe that the cruise wasn't what was promised you have recourse.

Good luck.

Jeff

If you consider canceling Seabourn because of the minor potential for a group then you must consider giving up luxury cruising completely as no line is immune from that possibility. Keep your booking, anticipate the wonderful time you will have and do not fixate on how one cruise did not live up to Seabourn's usual standards.

If you consider canceling Seabourn because of the minor potential for a group then you must consider giving up luxury cruising completely as no line is immune from that possibility. Keep your booking, anticipate the wonderful time you will have and do not fixate on how one cruise did not live up to Seabourn's usual standards.

I haven't booked yet.Only had Cunard and Princess cruises.I wanted to do a luxury cruise.

Thank you Jeff for your suggestions.I have read the whole thread and they are very useful.

Thank you Jeff for your suggestions.I have read the whole thread and they are very useful.

Glad to help.

All lines spend a lot of time and cash trying to attract this business. I have posted details of Silverseas marketing effort on the SS board watercooler thread into incentive and group travel to give an idea. It is well staffed and resourced. SB will probably be in competition and make a similar effort.

The key thing is ensure SB understand what you consider they have promised and that you want to receive it.

Enjoy your cruise.

Consider a Transatlantic Crossing ~ no groups.

A TA is so much fun ~many activites offered or you can choose, a relaxing voyage with none ~service, food, entertainment excellant, as always on Seabourn. A TA aboard the Spirit or Legend, less than 198 passengers. My 1st TA, we enjoyed only 96 passengers (crew 167)

Happy cruisin':p

MB

As most have said this problem is not exclusive to Seabourn, our recent Crystal cruise encountered major problems with a very large 100+ group of Venezuelan insurance salespeople, who were hardly the usual crystal demo graph.

This impacted terribly on the cruise, at times making the pool area unusable because the group would descend at around 12pm and just drink until 6 pm. They were loud and obnoxious, the crew served them, not us and it was very unpleasant for the other passengers.

I have seen Silversea, Sea dream, crystal and Seabourn threads on this. It could happen on any

Cruise line.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

They were loud and obnoxious, the crew served them, not us and it was very unpleasant for the other passengers.

I am not in total agreement with the anti-group lobby because I am bothered by how the ethnicity of the offenders often seems to pop up as part of the "problem" when that is really irrelevant; but ... when it comes to the point that Seabourn overserves the "group" but ignores the remaining passengers then Seabourn has not fulfilled its 5 star promises and should be made to answer.:mad: Tilly, I hope you received a satisfactory apology, explanation and compensation.

I was recently on a Silversea cruise on their largest ship (Silver Spirit) that included a very large group from an international banking company. I was fortunate ... except for two large parties that caused closure of a venue, they mingled with "the rest of us" well. The closures were actually not bad, because it meant that every other venue had choice seats available.

I am not in total agreement with the anti-group lobby because I am bothered by how the ethnicity of the offenders often seems to pop up as part of the "problem" when that is really irrelevant; but ... when it comes to the point that Seabourn overserves the "group" but ignores the remaining passengers then Seabourn has not fulfilled its 5 star promises and should be made to answer.:mad: Tilly, I hope you received a satisfactory apology, explanation and compensation.

I was recently on a Silversea cruise on their largest ship (Silver Spirit) that included a very large group from an international banking company. I was fortunate ... except for two large parties that caused closure of a venue, they mingled with "the rest of us" well. The closures were actually not bad, because it meant that every other venue had choice seats available.

This was not a group on Seabourn, it was a large group on Crystal, and no i dont think anyone even recieved an apology. Nevertheless it will be a long time, if ever, that we will book them again!

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Am in total agreement with Martita. Transatlantics are wonderful. Total relaxation, you can enjoy sea days, get up whenever you wish, take part in any or all of the activities. We have never seen a large group on these cruises, probably because the logistics of flying into one location and out of another would be too costly. We have two TA's booked for 2015. We love them.

Am in total agreement with Martita. Transatlantics are wonderful. Total relaxation, you can enjoy sea days, get up whenever you wish, take part in any or all of the activities. We have never seen a large group on these cruises, probably because the logistics of flying into one location and out of another would be too costly. We have two TA's booked for 2015. We love them.

Feeling better now.thanks everyone.

A transatlantic crossing would be great if you are happy to be on the ship almost every day - I would enjoy this, but my DH would not. Quite a lot of people really want to go ashore most days. Horses for courses. However, certainly it would be highly unlikely to have a group on board. Other pointers towards no groups likely would be the slightly longer cruises of 14 days or more, without the possibility of a change round mid-cruise (like the Norwegian ones to the North Cape).

Maybe I am being a bit optimistic in hoping that Seabourn do seem to have taken on board the bitter complaints of those on Sojourn recently, and might be reconsidering having part charters with 'normal' passengers also on board.

As most have said this problem is not exclusive to Seabourn, our recent Crystal cruise encountered major problems with a very large 100+ group of Venezuelan insurance salespeople, who were hardly the usual crystal demo graph.

This impacted terribly on the cruise, at times making the pool area unusable because the group would descend at around 12pm and just drink until 6 pm. They were loud and obnoxious, the crew served them, not us and it was very unpleasant for the other passengers.

I have seen Silversea, Sea dream, crystal and Seabourn threads on this. It could happen on any

Cruise line.

Right you are Tilly. I have tried to no avail over at SeaDream to get this exact point across. Nice people who have never had the issues with groups or children advise "patience" or "tailor your cruising to certain times of the year" or maybe "you will get lucky with the next one as it rarely happens". I contend that at this price point you should not have to "get lucky".

Amen!

Absolutely and agreed. And so luxury lines should be willing and able to disclose to customers whether the cruise they are contemplating has been booked by a group. But apparently that is not happening.