This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Since retirement, we had been doing 2 long land trips and one cruise, or 2 cruises and 1 long land trip. Now it will be 2 longer land trips. I, too, have been to about 100 countries, and know quite well the web site that you mentioned, along with a few others. With age, cruising got to be "easy", but we're not too old to go by land, either.

Most countries of Europe, Latin America and Asia are SO CIVILIZED about the smoking issue. The rest of the world could learn a lot from them.

HAL could also put calories on meals and have a shaming team that shows up at your table is you go over a certain amount. They could limit the buffets, put scales around the ship for mandatory weigh ins and make people go the gym. I mean seriously....obesity is just as bad for your health and lack of exercise.

That may be - but overeaters, while possibly as self-destructive, rarely harm their neighbors (except, perhaps, estheticly). Someone on an adjoing balcony would have to be REALLY obese to put me at risk -presumably by capsizing the ship -- while a chain smoker does impact me directly.

Since retirement, we had been doing 2 long land trips and one cruise, or 2 cruises and 1 long land trip. Now it will be 2 longer land trips. I, too, have been to about 100 countries, and know quite well the web site that you mentioned, along with a few others. With age, cruising got to be "easy", but we're not too old to go by land, either.

Most countries of Europe, Latin America and Asia are SO CIVILIZED about the smoking issue. The rest of the world could learn a lot from them.

By civilized I believe you mean even more restrictive than the United States (certainly when it comes to Europe) when it comes to restricting smoking - outdoors as well as indoors.

That may be - but overeaters, while possibly as self-destructive, rarely harm their neighbors (except, perhaps, estheticly). Someone on an adjoing balcony would have to be REALLY obese to put me at risk -presumably by capsizing the ship -- while a chain smoker does impact me directly.

That's what you'd like to believe to justify objecting to it, but someone smoking on an adjoining balcony won't give you cancer. If people who live with smokers for 30+ years don't have any significant increases in cancer statistics, then some occasional drifting smoke from an adjacent balcony sure won't either.

By civilized I believe you mean even more restrictive than the United States (certainly when it comes to Europe) when it comes to restricting smoking - outdoors as well as indoors.

Really? Poland is one of the most smoking friendly countries in the world. Germany is still pretty smoking friendly as well, its been banned indoors since 2008 but people don't harass those outside smoking with the rude waving of hands and fake coughing. Just to name a few.

Really? Poland is one of the most smoking friendly countries in the world. Germany is still pretty smoking friendly as well, its been banned indoors since 2008 but people don't harass those outside smoking with the rude waving of hands and fake coughing. Just to name a few.

Two is not usually referred to as "a few" -- I suggest you check other countries - starting with Spain - and look at the amounts of fines imposed in the UK and Ireland, among others for violations.

As a practical matter, I should not have to be put at imminent risk of cancer to have the right to object to a neighbor making me breath smoke. People have the right to foul their own lungs - and spend the equivalent of a cruise fare every year on their habit -- but they have no right to make me share their smoke - regardless of whether or not there has been a proven link to its damaging my lungs.

And yes. I do have the right to fan the air in front of my face if it helps dispel the smell of burning tobacco, just as many people in Europe do.

Two is not usually referred to as "a few" -- I suggest you check other countries - starting with Spain - and look at the amounts of fines imposed in the UK and Ireland, among others for violations.

As a practical matter, I should not have to be put at imminent risk of cancer to have the right to object to a neighbor making me breath smoke. People have the right to foul their own lungs - and spend the equivalent of a cruise fare every year on their habit -- but they have no right to make me share their smoke - regardless of whether or not there has been a proven link to its damaging my lungs.

And yes. I do have the right to fan the air in front of my face if it helps dispel the smell of burning tobacco, just as many people in Europe do.

Hungary, Ukraine, Bosnia...pretty much all of Eastern Europe. Switzerland, Italy, as well. There's still bars in Copenhagen, Prague and Vienna you can smoke indoors. You haven't been to many European countries have you? I've been to all of them except Belarus and Moldova.

"imminent risk of cancer"? That's just simply untrue.

That's what you'd like to believe to justify objecting to it, but someone smoking on an adjoining balcony won't give you cancer. If people who live with smokers for 30+ years don't have any significant increases in cancer statistics, then some occasional drifting smoke from an adjacent balcony sure won't either.

What I care about, and what most people care about is the horrible stench. It stinks. Period. That's why most people on balconies don't like being around balcony smokers and that's why the vast majority of people on this thread are very happy with the policy change. I say that with confidence. So try to deflect the topic all you want but the fact is, smoking on balconies is eradicated as of January and now the majority doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Edited by Aquahound

I suppose their would be a market for a "smokers only" cruise line. Even the crew could smoke too and no one would complain.

A couple of times I've googled smoker friendly vacations and smoker friendly accomodations and come up with nothing. There probably WOULD be a market for such a website. Glad I got to enjoy all the beauty of cruising because I can't imagine spending so much money to have my relaxation curtailed. So I go to land based all inclusives and someone new tries cruising. The circle of life.

<snip>

Excuse me but have we been to the same Spain??? Sure hotel rooms are often non smoking but if you have a balcony/terrace, the ashtray is there waiting. Smoking permitted. Smoking permitted outside in numerous restaurants, plazas with the lovely cafes and bars, etc. If Spain became very strict on their smoking it must have happened after November last year ;)

We have spent a lot of time in Spain and while the hotels have tightened up and indoor restaurants, the rest is still quite liberal when it comes to smoking.

Europe still has a number of smokers and in general, there is a compromise between "clean rooms" (aka non smoking) and smoking permitted outside. Just my experience though. For Spain we've only been to Granada, Cordoba, Bilbao, Madrid, Barcelona, Costa del Sol, Malaga, etc., so admittedly my experience is limited ;)

What is the point of continuing to fight over this and to deflect to such issues as obesity? The policy has changed, end of. It's not like HAL has made their ships completely non-smoking, they have simply banned it from the cabin verandahs. And, unlike when they initially changed the wine policy, they have given plenty of notice for the change.

I don't smoke but my husband does. That's the only reason I booked with HAL in the first place. I wonder, since the rules were changed post booking, are any cancelation fees being waived?

Karen, what cruise are you on? You should be within cancellation without penalty on most cruises right now but you may have to get moving depending on your sailing date.

Last time HAL changed the policy on smoking they gave 6 months notice.

Unless you are on a longer cruise (30 days) or a Grand Cruise and as long as you are sailing after January, you should be safe to cancel without penalty I think. check your docs. Hope this helps.

Veranda fires? I wonder when the last time a veranda caught on fire because of a smoker? Just curious.

Just recently on a Carnival ship, a passenger there his cigeratte overboard and it landed on a towel on a balcony below. The fire was quickly put out and there was no significant damage. (Obviously someone was ignoring the no smoking on balconies rule. I am guessing the insurance company charges more if a cruise line allows balcony smoking.

I don't smoke but my husband does. That's the only reason I booked with HAL in the first place. I wonder, since the rules were changed post booking, are any cancelation fees being waived?

The change is implemented 90 days out so any cruises should be able to be canceled without penalty at this time. If you wait until past final payment date, well, that would be on you.

Thanks Jacqui. It's mid Feb and I haven't received any docs yet. I'll let DH make the decision since it's him who will be effected. The larger issues would be already booked and paid flights and hotel rooms both before and after the cruise.

It's not a life altering change, but given the choice I think I would have booked Celebrity. I sailed on HAL once with my ex-DH on the Oosterdam when it was new and while we had a good time, we did feel like it was too sedate for our taste. Everyone was tucked up in their beds by 10 pm.

Thanks Jacqui. It's mid Feb and I haven't received any docs yet. I'll let DH make the decision since it's him who will be effected. The larger issues would be already booked and paid flights and hotel rooms both before and after the cruise.

It's not a life altering change, but given the choice I think I would have booked Celebrity. I sailed on HAL once with my ex-DH on the Oosterdam when it was new and while we had a good time, we did feel like it was too sedate for our taste. Everyone was tucked up in their beds by 10 pm.

Where are the flights to? You could convert it to a land based trip if you can cancel the cruise portion.

Thoughtful of you, GJ!

But, the anger from smokers is as palpable as that previously exhibited by us non-smokers before the policy change announcement. Makes sense. The unfortunate gloating by non-smokers reminds me of the previous gloating by smokers.

No wonder partisans stopped compromising. It seems anger and hate, sarcasm and retribution are far more satisfying, to far too many. I'm old enough to remember when folks were more interested in harmony, considering principled adversaries as friends, and even love. Sad.

I understand your sentiments and respect them. BUT there was very little of this understanding and respect from smokers back in the bad old days of just 5 years ago . There was a lot of a , "tough - suck it up !" attitude .

It's amazing how much has changed concerning smoking in just this time and I am thrilled with these changes . So I agree that it is unfortunate that civility and respect for differing opinions seems to be diminishing , but not when it comes to this issue . Ban all smoking on board !

Well it does stink and should be kept out of indoor enclosed areas, I agree and most smokers probably agree too. But in society where you have other people nearby you're exposed to all sorts of unpleasant odors, BO, farts, bad breath, cheap cologne, we hold our breath and move on. If you want fresh air free of every people odor, not to mention exhaust, cleaners, paint fumes and other smells from populated areas, then go to a remote mountain cabin...and you can run around naked too, you know just in case the smell of the laundry soap that permeated your clothes bugs you.
I am enjoying your posts . Very amusing .

PS - I don't believe you are a former smoker .

I am enjoying your posts . Very amusing .

PS - I don't believe you are a former smoker .

On another thread he indicates he is still a nicotine addict. He uses e sigs and vapes. Even in places it is not allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On another thread he indicates he is still a nicotine addict. He uses e sigs and vapes. Even in places it is not allowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never said I vaped nicotine, you made that assumption. Shame on you! I'm booked business class on British Airways in a few weeks and do plan to vape, they never bother me about it, I do it in my seat.

I never said I vaped nicotine, you made that assumption. Shame on you! I'm booked business class on British Airways in a few weeks and do plan to vape, they never bother me about it, I do it in my seat.

No vaping leaving from the US

https://www.engadget.com/2016/03/02/department-of-transportation-e-cigarette-flight-ban/

You are not permitted to vape on any plane leaving or coming into the United States..That includes British Airways to & from the U.S... You could be thrown off the flight & arrested if you do..