Southwest seating question

Lionesss

Per Southwest:

An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should both board with the “A” boarding group.

Although every time we have used it, both my husband and I have boarded with our daughter and nothing has ever been said?? :confused: I didn't realize that it was for only 1 adult with the child??? Oops I guess I am a bad person after all. Also, if only 1 parent can board with the child, I'm pretty sure that parent that boards WOULD be saving a seat for the spouse...like it or not, I know I would. Shame on me!

If your 3-year-old and you are in two adjacent seats I can pretty much guarantee that most people will leave the third seat vacant. :)

Kind of like the parent with the "lap child" and they plop them in that middle seat in hopes of getting a seat for their child for free instead of having to sit the child on their lap for the entire flight (as they said they would) or actually PAYING for a seat for their child ;)

Edited by slidergirl

One thing that has not been addressed in any of the replies is the issue of using Southwest Airlines along with RCCL's Luggage Valet Program. If using RCCL's Luggage Valet Program you have no control over the actual on-line checkin progress even if you do pay for Southwest's Early-bird checkin. Someone in Guest Services on board the ship will be doing all the check-in for you along with everyone else participating in RCCL's Luggage Valet Program regardless of the airline so you have no assurance of what time you will be checked in nor chances of being checked into an early group number.

If you want better control over the check-in process than suggest not using the luggage Valet program and using one of the 2 following methods of check-in when booking through Southwest.

•  
  • Leave all ticket information with someone at home who will than check in for you the minute the 24 hours check-in process begins. Don't worry that you won't have the actual boarding pass as you can than get a duplicate boarding pass when you arrive at the airport.

or

•  
  • Pay to use RCCL's onboard computers and do the check-in yourself when the 24 hour period begins.

That info is incorrect. If you pay for early bird check in you are automatically checked in. You don't even have to check in until you arrive at the airport. You will have the same boarding number as you would have had, had you checked in 24 hours in advance. So if you plan on doing luggage valet, I would definitely do the early bird check in, because it will not matter when royal gets around to checking you in.

Aft Cabins Rule

It was just a question. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I had never thought about what this early bird boarding was until someone brought it up nor did I know how it worked. The only reason why I ask is because I SEE people get on the plane and when I have been looking for a seat THEY have told ME that the seat belonged to their....(spouse, daughter...or whatever) and when this topic came up, I assumed maybe that's what they were doing and how others did it.

I PURCHASED IT FOR ALL 3 OF US....THANKS!! Just to make it clear, I'm not a chair hog either. I am actually one of those that throws my towels on the corner just so that we don't take up ANY of the chairs because we spend most of the time IN the pool or sitting on the ledge and wouldn't want to waste a chair. :rolleyes:

It's for families with children under 4 years old.

Point is that there are people who do it. I was on a SW flight once and there was someone behind me in the center seat. A person came down the aisle and asked the center seat person if the aisle seat was taken and center seat replied that she was saving the aisle seat for her husband. I leaned back and told the person asking about the vacant aisle seat that there was no saving seats on SW and that she could sit anywhere she wanted.

She promptly sat down. Center seat was not happy and neither was DH who had to sit on the window seat.

Sorry to suggest that you would do such a thing. You did the right thing.

DON

On one of our flights last Christmas, I was rather upset because SW called for people who needed assistance (this was BEFORE the A group was called) and a family with two small children boarded. The SW person called over to the grandparents and told them they were also welcome to board with them. There were almost 20 people who boarded. Also two elderly people boarded. They had walked into the waiting room, each pushing a wheelchair full of their luggage, and sat down in chairs with the wheelchairs left in front of them.

I think that is as bad as all the people who board early on cruises because they say they need assistance boarding and get pushed onto the ship first and then JUMP out of the chair and run off.

On one of our flights last Christmas, I was rather upset because SW called for people who needed assistance (this was BEFORE the A group was called) and a family with two small children boarded. The SW person called over to the grandparents and told them they were also welcome to board with them. There were almost 20 people who boarded. Also two elderly people boarded. They had walked into the waiting room, each pushing a wheelchair full of their luggage, and sat down in chairs with the wheelchairs left in front of them.

I think that is as bad as all the people who board early on cruises because they say they need assistance boarding and get pushed onto the ship first and then JUMP out of the chair and run off.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "handicapped" card with regard to travel. Therefore, anyone who says that they are handicapped is legally required to be treated as handicapped. I have seen lots of "handicapped" people get pushed up to the boarding area, walk around then boarding area, and then sit back on their chair to be pushed onto the plane ahead of me. Happens all the time.

DON

This happens on every airline.

With SW's boarding, I actually find that people are MORE polite than when seats are assigned. Ever seen the mob of people surrounding the gangway waiting for the gate attendant to call "Rows 11 through 32"? Crazy! With SW, people seem to stand quietly and happily in their assigned spot in line, next to the appropriate pylon, and board in order. No pushing, no shoving. Maybe a seat saved here or there, but it's actually a much more relaxed process on the whole. (And yes, I've been in Groups A, B and C.)

We like SW. Last cruise we took another airline one direction, had to pay for bags, no soft drinks unless we paid, if we wanted to watch a movie, you had to pay.

On the way home we flew SW. Paid for Early Bird, received a position in the A group, received a bag of peanuts and a bag of pretzels, free soft drinks, and I watched movies and news on my Ipad with their free wi-fi. It was great! Oh, and I forgot to mention the 2 free bags! Plus, the staff were funny and friendly. Worth every penny to us.:D

I try to find flights on Southwest when possible. The free luggage benefit is great. I always figure in what it would cost us to check bags on another airline when comparing prices.

On our flight from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa this month, we witnessed an altercation between a man saving a seat for his wife and a woman traveling with a teenager. The man was wrong for saving the seat, but the woman was absolutely rude. The flight attendant told her to just keep going down the aisle to where there were plenty of seats available. I'm sure the length of the flight (less than an hour) and the fact that there were plenty of seats together farther back played into the flight attendant's decision.

Edited by geoherb

This happens on every airline.

With SW's boarding, I actually find that people are MORE polite than when seats are assigned. Ever seen the mob of people surrounding the gangway waiting for the gate attendant to call "Rows 11 through 32"? Crazy! With SW, people seem to stand quietly and happily in their assigned spot in line, next to the appropriate pylon, and board in order. No pushing, no shoving. Maybe a seat saved here or there, but it's actually a much more relaxed process on the whole. (And yes, I've been in Groups A, B and C.)

I have to agree. It's one of the many reasons that I continue to fly with SW (including the free snacks and soda and friendly staff).

I have found that the employees of SW go out of their way to help you and especially if you are a family that can't find seating together. Several times we were split up and they made announcements for anyone that would please be willing to move for a family with a small child to sit together and people were extremely friendly and accommodating and let us sit together. (As I would do the same for any other family that might be in the same situation).

Then our last cruise was a complete mess when my oldest daughter caused us to miss our flights and the staff was AMAZING!! They worked with our large party of 8 and got us on flights (yes different and we had to split up but still)...they were constantly working with us and those that got left behind were in constant contact with us and knew where we were, when we were arriving, what port, where we were headed next and vice versa. They went way above and beyond as far as I'm considered. I didn't even have to ask them what was going on. They would approach me and tell me what was going on with our other party that was left behind.

How does the "Customer of Size" policy work without assigned seats?
It's all here:

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel in order to ensure the additional seat(s) is available. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats; width between the armrests measures 17 inches. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).
I believe the passenger is given a card to mark the adjacent seat as taken - an apparent contradiction but then again, not really. Edited by Underwatr

I'm curious as to which airline people are flying where no soft drinks are offered...sans Spirit...I know they charge for breathing

SW, AA, Delta, US Air, United, Jet Blue....flown them all in the past year and have received beverage service on all at no additional charge....except a short 30 min regional flight, then it was not done simply for time restraints

The drink thing keeps coming up, but who is not serving them?

To be honest, I'm at the airport early so I will more than likely buy a 20oz after security...that will last me through most flights....we'll see how Chicago to Heathrow goes :D

I'm curious as to which airline people are flying where no soft drinks are offered...sans Spirit...I know they charge for breathing

SW, AA, Delta, US Air, United, Jet Blue....flown them all in the past year and have received beverage service on all at no additional charge....except a short 30 min regional flight, then it was not done simply for time restraints

The drink thing keeps coming up, but who is not serving them?

To be honest, I'm at the airport early so I will more than likely buy a 20oz after security...that will last me through most flights....we'll see how Chicago to Heathrow goes :D

Pretty much every airline in the US has free soda. Southwest is not special in any regards in that capacity.

It's all here:

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

I believe the passenger is given a card to mark the adjacent seat as taken - an apparent contradiction but then again, not really.

If I read your post correctly, it seem to say that a "customer of size" gets 2 seats for the price of one. That does not seem fair to me. If he takes 2 seats, he should pay for 2 seats.

Airlines say that they restrict luggage even though SW is the exception to that rule because excess luggage costs more fuel. Yet, SW gives an person w excess weight a 2nd seat for free.

By that logic, a person of height should get more leg room for free. They do not, however.

DON

If I read your post correctly, it seem to say that a "customer of size" gets 2 seats for the price of one. That does not seem fair to me. If he takes 2 seats, he should pay for 2 seats.

Airlines say that they restrict luggage even though SW is the exception to that rule because excess luggage costs more fuel. Yet, SW gives an person w excess weight a 2nd seat for free.

By that logic, a person of height should get more leg room for free. They do not, however.

DON

Southwest does try to be accommodating to all without calling attention to the need or person. What the policy link (or the airline's FAQ) does not address is how they'll handle a person of size arriving at the airport needing that second seat on an already sold out flight. In that case, I'd hate to learn that they provided a second seat for that person and bumped someone who paid for and needed just one seat.

Southwest is one of the more profitable domestic airlines and if they can do that by "giving away" an extra seat to someone who doesn't fit between the armrests that would seem to be a matter between the airline and that passenger. I can't see how that policy affects you one way or the other, unless you'd be willing to occupy the 3/4 of a seat that's left over. :)

On the other hand if you do sometimes feel that you need a shoehorn to get into your seat the Southwest policy is there for you as well.

Southwest used to charge for the second seat and refund the second seat fare if the flight loading resulted in that seat not otherwise having been needed (e.g., if there were, say 3 other unsold seats on the plane). I suspect that SW's policy is oriented more toward having someone who spills over be upfront about the need for an additional seat rather than selling all seats and at boarding time realizing that there's a problem.

Just to add: I fit between the armrests so I'm not one that the policy would benefit. I just don't see how it's an issue.

Edited by Underwatr

Southwest is one of the more profitable domestic airlines and if they can do that by "giving away" an extra seat to someone who doesn't fit between the armrests that would seem to be a matter between the airline and that passenger. I can't see how that policy affects you one way or the other, unless you'd be willing to occupy the 3/4 of a seat that's left over. :)

On the other hand if you do sometimes feel that you need a shoehorn to get into your seat the Southwest policy is there for you as well.

Southwest used to charge for the second seat and refund the second seat fare if the flight loading resulted in that seat not otherwise having been needed (e.g., if there were, say 3 other unsold seats on the plane). I suspect that SW's policy is oriented more toward having someone who spills over be upfront about the need for an additional seat rather than selling all seats and at boarding time realizing that there's a problem.

Just to add: I fit between the armrests so I'm not one that the policy would benefit. I just don't see how it's an issue.

As I posted in the comment just above yours: What the policy link (or the airline's FAQ) does not address is how they'll handle a person of size arriving at the airport needing that second seat on an already sold out flight. In that case, I'd hate to learn that they provided a second seat for that person and bumped someone who paid for and needed just one seat.

I fit between the armrests as well, but have sat next to many who (technically) didn't.

Luv Southwest & fly them whenever possible.

FOOTNOTE: Southwest often does still charge for & refund the second seat cost.

If a POS does not purchase a second seat in advance (and why they wouldn't, as the money is refunded, I don't understand), they can't fit in one seat and the plane is full, the POS should be off-loaded and placed on another flight.

Whether or not they would ask for volunteers before that, I don't know. Probably depends on how much time they have to get the plane out of the gate.

Not sure but I think normal bumping rules would go into effect - ask for volunteers, then if necessary bump as if it was any other oversold flight. This would not normally result in the larger person being the one bumped, if my interpretation of the webpage info on this is correct.

The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need, and allows us to adequately plan for the number of seats that will be occupied on the aircraft. In turn, this helps to ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight/aircraft for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for an unplanned accommodation.

...Having a second seat purchased in advance allows us to account for the inventory need and greatly helps reduce the likelihood of an oversale situation (having more confirmed Customers waiting to board than seats on the aircraft).

Since BPs are numbered in the order that people check in, the person bumped would be the last one(s) waiting to board.

If you're going to get wound up about it (IMO there are so many other travel hassle that this topic doesn't bother me), you might as well also note that Southwest encourages Customers of Size to preboard to ensure that they will find an adjacent empty seat. :)

Edited by Underwatr