Some people just are never happy and love to complain

garycarla

It was in quotation marks when I posted it so I obviously wasn't trying to say that was my quote. :rolleyes:

Chill. I used the winky. No need to :rolleyes: at me.

If you didn't believe it before, the above exchange is proof that anything -- absolutely anything -- can turn into bickering here on CC... :)

If you didn't believe it before, the above exchange is proof that anything -- absolutely anything -- can turn into bickering here on CC... :)

Better yet, it's also a great example that a simple sorry goes a long way.

Rochelle

What's interesting is that his friends actually agreed and egged him on. Laughing as if his outburst was something to be proud of. I'd be ashamed if someone caught me behaving that way on camera. What a douche. can I say that word here? If not, i apologize.

All of them should be wondering what they were eating in their subsequent meals..........

I mean,... they should be SERIOUSLY wondering........

I'm just not sure what he expected the Bananas Foster Cocktail to taste like since this is a recipe (one of many popular ones I'd guess)

Bananas Foster Cocktail

Ingredients

Ice

1 shot vanilla vodka

1 shot banana liqueur

1/2 shot butterscotch schnapps

1/2 shot chocolate liqueur

Splash light cream

Garnish with banana, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/bananas-foster-cocktail-recipe.html

He was talking about the dessert and not a cocktail, but thanks for posting the recipe. Never heard of it, but it looks yummy. I will have to make it sometime.

Working with the public most of my life, I can tell you some people make a career out of complaining. You learn to quickly differentiate between people who are truly wronged and deserve your compassion and best efforts at correcting the issue - which are probably 99% of people - and the people who are looking for some kind of perverse fame or a discount, or simply are trying to elevate their miserable existence by berating people they know cannot "fight back".

So. the sous chef in this case has turned on his Customer Service BS Analyzer, and is guiding the conversation using a combination of silence and short responses that are subservient in tone to satisfy the man's ego and shorten the interaction. The sous chef is not "taking the bait" to escalate the issue no matter how many adjectives the man uses to describe the food. He includes several offers of new food, new drinks, replacements that are entirely reasonable and make the man look like a fool for not accepting.

I don't know if the sous chef eventually got the pastry chef for the insufferable boor, but I suspect not.

Score 1 for the sous chef, and 0 for the aggressor. He was powned.

I'm laughing because when we went on the BA in May, there was a guy just like this complaining about the free cake. He was so loud and obnoxious. After about 10 minutes of it, I looked at him and said "Dude, it's a free cake. Get yourself together." He didn't stop but but he did get less loud. The wife looked just like this :o

IMO, I was surprised. The free cake was much better than I thought it would be.

ETA: The guy on my cruise has to be claimed by NYC too. He informed us all loudly several times that he "lives in the culinary capital of the world" and this kind of cake does not fly in NYC.

Edited by rednose83

ETA: The guy on my cruise has to be claimed by NYC too. He informed us all loudly several times that he "lives in the culinary capital of the world" and this kind of cake does not fly in NYC.

We're very sorry. :(

Nitpicking here, but there's nothing that's free on the cruise. There might not be an additional charge, but it's still something that you paid for. By no means does that justify rudeness to the staff or to fellow cruisers, or any other such type of arrogant behavior. Also, who cares? The next meal is always just around the corner!

4. Carrier's Rules and Regulations:

(b) Carrier's Right to Confine, or Refuse or Revoke Passage: The Guest recognizes and agrees that the Carrier reserves the right, without incurring liability of any kind, to refuse or revoke passage to, or confine to a stateroom, any Guest who, in the sole judgment of the Carrier or vessel's medical personnel, may be refused admission into a port of landing or into the country of destination, or may be suffering from a contagious disease, or for any other cause may endanger themselves or others, or become obnoxious to others.

Edited by lax19

There are many FUNNY comments in this thread so far.

As to the idiot in the video - NLC should just ban him from future cruises.

Many of the cruiselines have been know to do that. Some people think it is a challenge to carry on like this, complain and ask for free stuff.

Kick them to the shore - NOW!

"Kick them to the shore"? I say kick them out and let them swim back to land!!! I wished a bunch of passengers would have ripped into them. What arrogant jerks. Is it really true that cruise lines have a no cruise passenger list? If so, I hope the video was sent to them.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Call me masochistic, but I've been enjoying reading the various ways that people are complaining about from the OP's original post. Granted, a few of them are legitimate complaints, but the great number of people just don't have a clue. To wit:

On Sunday, on our route to "Great Stirrup Cay," there was an issue with the weather. The ship crew decided to stay out to sea. We felt short changed because we weren't able to experience the excursions that we had planned on that date. We also wanted to go snorkeling with the equipment that we brought in our luggage from Ohio . Bringing the equipment increased our luggage and bagging fees for no reason. We also planned on doing some additional shopping at this port.

What additional shopping were they planning to do? I don't recall anything on the island that couldn't be bought on board the ship.

Re: the Dude and his ruined anniversary the man has not been born who could speak to me like that.

But, NCL is letting their people down by forcing them to put up with that type of nonsense. By making their people put up with that type of bullying it only tells idiots like the fellow they can abuse the staff and get away with it.

The impact on staff morale must be grim, plus of course the other customers who witness this behavior are no doubt put into an awkward position.

I am convinced the proper response would be to apologize to the Customer (as was done) offer to replace the cake (which was done) and if the nonsense continued refer the fellow to senior staff. Senior staff need to explain to the Customer he either gets an attitude adjustment, or the next port he leaves the ship. If the next port is the home port, he is confined to his cabin until he can be disembarked.

If NCL did this to the next several people who act out, the problem would be solved.

But, NCL is letting their people down by forcing them to put up with that type of nonsense. By making their people put up with that type of bullying it only tells idiots like the fellow they can abuse the staff and get away with it.

Herb Kelleher (Founder and former CEO of Southwest Airlines) had the right idea:

"While Southwest Airlines CEO Herb Kelleher gives customers a terrific deal on an airplane seat, he makes it clear that his employees come first — even if it means dismissing customers. But aren't customers always right? "No, they are not," Kelleher snaps. "And I think that's one of the biggest betrayals of employees a boss can possibly commit. The customer is sometimes wrong. We don't carry those sorts of customers. We write to them and say, 'Fly somebody else. Don't abuse our people.'" " (Readers Digest July 1995)

If a customer has a legitimate complaint, do your best to resolve it. Once he becomes abusive or unrealistic in his demands, tell him that his business is no longer welcome. There will be plenty more people to replace him.

Re: the Dude and his ruined anniversary the man has not been born who could speak to me like that.

The impact on staff morale must be grim, plus of course the other customers who witness this behavior are no doubt put into an awkward position.

I am convinced the proper response would be to apologize to the Customer (as was done) offer to replace the cake (which was done) and if the nonsense continued refer the fellow to senior staff. Senior staff need to explain to the Customer he either gets an attitude adjustment, or the next port he leaves the ship. If the next port is the home port, he is confined to his cabin until he can be disembarked.

If NCL did this to the next several people who act out, the problem would be solved.

I must think that the boor and his tablemates subsequently ate a lot of bodily secretions and excretions. I certainly hope so.

I just got off the Star Princess. On our next to last day, which was a sea day, they had some technical difficulties in the main showroom. They had to cancel the movie they had scheduled and showed it instead on the in-cabin TV's. This announcement was made several hours prior. We happened to be walking by the theater just before the scheduled start time, and a man and his wife were walking away from the theater. He said in a not very nice voice "Boy, they sure screwed us on that one! That was the only movie I wanted to see." I felt sorry for him that he felt he had been "screwed"...it seemed like he took it very personally.

I agree. NCL should set some standards so that their people do not have to endure verbal abuse.

NCL does not really need to take action with boorish people.

The crew members are all aware that they will be rid of the pests in a few days and will have a whole new group of guests.

I like to remind the servers that the pests will make them very happy in a few days by leaving the ship.

Although his behavior was disgusting, assault with bodily fluids is not the answer; it's battery and illegal.

To follow him into the mens room and shove his head in the toilet could also be assault with body fluids .

It may be illegal but very gratifying .:D

JMHO

Edited by biker@sea

The following are purported to be actual complaints people have lodged. True or not ?? I don't know but I think they are humorous.

1. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."

2. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallarta to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."

3. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food."

4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."

5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."

6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."

7. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."

8. "No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."

9. "Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers."

10. "We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish . "

11. "The roads were uneven and bumpy, so we could not read the local guide book during the bus ride to the resort. Because of this, we were unaware of many things that would have made our holiday more fun."

12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."

13. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom suite to our friends' three-bedroom and ours was significantly smaller."

14. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the resort.' We're trainee hairdressers and we think they knew and made us wait longer for service."

15. "When we were in Spain, there were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."

16. "We had to line up outside to catch the boat and there was no air-conditioning."

17. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."

18. "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."

19. "My fiancee and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

BE AWARE .... THEY WALK AMONG US ... and THEY VOTE!!!!