Grand class cruiser does the island princess

MTJSR

The Panama Canal season is about to start again and I have no clue what to expect on the Island Princess. I am sure there are lots of hints that might make for an easier time adjusting? Like will I need my coffee cards since there is not an International Cafe? Any other ideas, suggestions, advise or must do information?

Any help will be much appreciated, especially those of us on the first sailing out of San Francisco, September 27th.

Once onboard, I will post "Live Updates" along the way.

Mark

The Island and Coral Princess are a much better cruise experience IMHO than the Grand-class ships.

While the Island doesn't have an IC (yet), there's still the Atrium and Lobby Bar where you can get brewed coffee and specialty coffees.

The buffet is at the front of the ship, not aft, and the two dining rooms, one Anytime one Traditional are both midship. The Coral and Island are the only larger Princess ships where you can walk forward- to-aft on deck 6.

The Coral and Island have public decks both forward and aft for great scenic viewing.

There are some differences of note from the Grand class ships.

As you said, there is no IC yet. The coffee card can be used at the Patisserie on deck 5 in the atrium.

Only two dining rooms, both near the atrium, one on deck 5 and one on deck 6. One is traditional and one is anytime.

Princess theater (decks 6 and 7) only has an entrance on deck 7. If yopu sit near the front, it can same a few minutes to exit.

The forward elevators and stairways do not go down to decks 6 and 5. Thus cannot get to the dining rooms with them.

Explorers Lounge is on deck 6, not deck 7 like the Grand class.

No Skywalkers.

Aft pool is part of the Sanctuary and cannot be used by those who did not book the Sanctuary.

There are viewing areas forward and aft on some of the decks with cabins. Usually not crowded on Panama Canal day because few know about them.

Lotus pool is covered and is part of a beautiful area.

980A04381012LotusPoolDeck14DSC01295_zpsdad4d15e.jpg

A nice area on deck 8 with the Internet Cafe, a card room, and the library.

Horizon Court buffet in in front of the ship, not aft.

Hamburger grill is up one deck from the buffet, not by one of the pools.

Edited by caribill

There is front viewing locations off of 2 decks. Sorry - don't remember which ones. It would be a great location for the Panama Canal. It is on 2 passenger decks and the door is marked "private" but room stewards have always told us to go out. They are the 2 decks right below the bridge.

There is front viewing locations off of 2 decks. Sorry - don't remember which ones. It would be a great location for the Panama Canal. It is on 2 passenger decks and the door is marked "private" but room stewards have always told us to go out. They are the 2 decks right below the bridge.

I got upgraded to C201 a window suite right at the bow. The two open decks are Baja and Caribe, this was a great location for going thru the canal. When it got too hot or there was nothing to see I'd just head back into the cabin for a little while. It was great just being steps away from the open forward deck. The open stern decks were also a great place to watch the canal passage.

As others have mentioned the "On the Bayou" is a fantastic show, also one of my favorites.

Overall a very, very nice ship

Thanks everyone!

I do have a question about the Horizon Court. Is seating an issue with it being upfront? is it the daytime hangout? I did the BVE on the Sea Princess in San Francisco and the buffet was insane during embarkation. Is the Island any different?

Is the Bayou Cafe any good?

We are on Caribe deck starboard side aft, any issues in this location I should know?

Edited by MTJSR

I do have a question about the Horizon Court. Is seating an issue with it being upfront? is it the daytime hangout? I did the BVE on the Sea Princess in San Francisco and the buffet was insane during embarkation.

I've never had a problem finding an empty table in the buffet. There are tables along the front which have great views forward over the bow if the ship. During glacier viewing times, it might get crowded.

Remember, the ship is actually longer than the Grand-class ships but is narrower so it doesn't have the same tonnage which gives the impression that it's a "small" ship. It really isn't. Plus, you're sailing with 1,970 passengers vs. 2,600-3,200 passengers. This means that the ship is less crowded.

Yes, the Bayou Cafe is very good. I had one of the best filets there I've had on any ship.

Thanks everyone!

I do have a question about the Horizon Court. Is seating an issue with it being upfront? is it the daytime hangout? I did the BVE on the Sea Princess in San Francisco and the buffet was insane during embarkation. Is the Island any different?

We are on Caribe deck starboard side aft, any issues in this location I should know?

As far as the HC this was one of my issues in Alaska, people staying there for a long time after eating (especially glacier viewing) and using it as a viewing spot leaving people walking around in circles unable to find a table even sharing. :(

The Bayou is excellent, loved the surf/turf.

There is a great viewing area with loungers on Caribe aft.

Remember, the ship is actually longer than the Grand-class ships but is narrower so it doesn't have the same tonnage which gives the impression that it's a "small" ship. It really isn't. Plus, you're sailing with 1,970 passengers vs. 2,600-3,200 passengers. This means that the ship is less crowded.

Ahh very interesting, good information! Thanks Pam.

Edited by MTJSR

The Panama Canal season is about to start again and I have no clue what to expect on the Island Princess. I am sure there are lots of hints that might make for an easier time adjusting? Like will I need my coffee cards since there is not an International Cafe? Any other ideas, suggestions, advise or must do information?

Any help will be much appreciated, especially those of us on the first sailing out of San Francisco, September 27th.

Mark

We sailed the Island Princess a few years ago and really enjoyed it. We had a Mini-Suite on the Baja Deck (B-226). The nice part about the Ship is all the Mini Suite Balconies are covered unlike the Grand Princess were only ME Mini Suites are covered. Also while going through the Canal you have access to the Front Bow View while Transitting the Canal. However, there is only room for about 15 people. You can also get access to the Stern View on the Baja Beck. I believe you can also have Bow and Stern access on the Caribe and Aloha Decks But there is a limited amount of people that can have access. Have a great cruise

From my perspective the Coral and Island are the best class of ships in the fleet. They are a bit longer than the grand class ships but also narrower. They were designed specifically to go through the Panama Canal. True they do not have Skywalkers. But they also have hundreds of less passengers than the grand class ships. And the promenade on deck 7 goes all the way around the ship without having to climb steps at the front. In addition there is the Bayou Café which was already mentioned. Be sure to see the production show "On the Bayou" as it is absolutely fantastic and only on the Island and Coral. I've always found the Horizon Court to be very crowded on embarkation day for lunch and disembarkation day for breakfast. All other times you should not have a problem finding a table for a meal except the morning going through the Canal as many folks like to park themselves at the tables near the windows and just sit there all morning.

See you on the Island on the 27th.

Tom

There are some differences of note from the Grand class ships.

As you said, there is no IC yet. The coffee card can be used at the Patisserie on deck 5 in the atrium.

Only two dining rooms, both near the atrium, one on deck 5 and one on deck 6. One is traditional and one is anytime.

Princess theater (decks 6 and 7) only has an entrance on deck 7. If yopu sit near the front, it can same a few minutes to exit.

The forward elevators and stairways do not go down to decks 6 and 5. Thus cannot get to the dining rooms with them.

Explorers Lounge is on deck 6, not deck 7 like the Grand class.

No Skywalkers.

Aft pool is part of the Sanctuary and cannot be used by those who did not book the Sanctuary.

There are viewing areas forward and aft on some of the decks with cabins. Usually not crowded on Panama Canal day because few know about them.

Lotus pool is covered and is part of a beautiful area.

980A04381012LotusPoolDeck14DSC01295_zpsdad4d15e.jpg

A nice area on deck 8 with the Internet Cafe, a card room, and the library.

Horizon Court buffet in in front of the ship, not aft.

Hamburger grill is up one deck from the buffet, not by one of the pools.

I love the picture of the Lotus Pool area. So beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark

I will be looking forward to your "live updates" since we'll we on the Island in February! Have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone!

Even though we had a balcony cabin we went early (about 5 am) to stake a claim at a table in the Horizon Court for a fantastic, air conditioned, seated view of entering the canal and watching the ship in front of us go through. We were able to take pictures through the glass windows. It filled up early as many others had the same idea. It was an incredible experience and I would do it the same way again if we went back. We sat there for hours and later went to our balcony.