Bermuda vs. Bahamas for honeymoon?

Futurefairall

Hi there :)

I am currently trying to decide between Bermuda (kings wharf) or a Bahamas (port canavral, coco cay, nassau, and key west) iternary for my honeymoon. We are looking into either September or October of 2015 aboard the Grandeur of the Seas. If you could help us choose it'd be greatly appreciated! Also, since the boat would "park" in Bermuda does that detract from the cruise, add to it? How's the weather that time of year? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Edited by Futurefairall

I am currently trying to decide between Bermuda (kings wharf) or a Bahamas (port canavral, coco cay, nassau, and key west) iternary for my honeymoon. We are looking into either September or October of 2015 aboard the Grandeur of the Seas. If you could help us choose it'd be greatly appreciated! Also, since the boat would "park" in Bermuda does that detract from the cruise, add to it? How's the weather that time of year? Any advice is appreciated!

We have been to Bermuda twice on Grandeur on the 7-night itinerary and it is one of our favorites. Although not on Grandeur, we have been on the same Bahamas itinerary on Explorer minus Key West. Of the two IMO the Bermuda itinerary is by far the better of the two.

The fact that you are docked in Bermuda adds to the cruise by allowing so much time off the ship at your schedule to see the island, which is one of the most beautiful of all. (And quite different from any other).

Although not on a cruise, we had our honeymoon in Bermuda and have been back five times since, three by cruise, to include our 5th and 30th anniversaries. Just my opinion but that would be my choice hands down of the two.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Bermuda is a beautiful country but, I think the 8-day Grandeur to the Bahamas is a fine itinerary with a nice balance of ports and sea days.

Port Canaveral: you can book a shuttle with Royal Caribbean to either Disney World or Universal Studios check out the new Diagon Alley at Universal Islands of Adventure. Not into theme parks head over to Cape Canaveral for the space complex.

Coco Cay: is a terrific stop, beautiful private island, turquoise clear water, great big barbecue spread, tons of activities like snorkeling, water slides, nature walks, glass bottom boats.

Nassau, Bahamas: We rather enjoyed this port. If you arrive on a day when there are only a few ships in port it's a fun port to walk around. Take a cab over to the brand new Baha Mar resort complex that opens in December 2014. Have a tropical drink at one of the hotels here like the Grand Hyatt, stroll the grounds.

Key West: Looking forward to visiting here in February on our 8-day Grandeur cruise. Funky, Florida town, with a variety of things to see and experience.

I think this is a great itinerary for it's combination of fun port stops and relaxing cruise days. You can't go wrong with either but, I would opt for the Bahamas route.

Congrats to you both and have a great Honeymoon Cruise.

Jonathan

No contest.......Bermuda and there's never enough time there. We've been to Bermuda numerous time in Sept./Oct. and the weather has always been great.

Did the Bahamas on the Grandeur in Feb. Doing the same cruise again because husband has not been to Coco Cay or Key West.

Cape Canaveral Meh

Coco Cay Thumbs up

Nassau Thumbs down

Key West Thumbs up

We did 6-night Bermuda cruise last year on Grandeur and agree with everyone else - great ship and great location. But, we are doing the 8-night Bahamas cruise on Grandeur this Thanksgiving, and looking forward to this too. It is thought choice as one extra day at sea is better than a day at work :)

Congrats and enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I think your decision is based on what types of folks you are. If you like to party and raise hell, Bahamas is the way to go with all the bars you can hit in Key West and Nassau. If you are more laid back and want to chill, then by all means Bermuda. The best fish and chips and fish sandwiches ever although their Dark and Stormy rum drinks are definitely an acquired taste. Either way, we wish you an awesome honemoon and many years' worth of cruise memories.

Z and TB

Bahamas is a cruise hitting several so-so ports. Bermuda is a cruise hitting just one port - but the most beautiful of islands - which really gives you two experiences: the cruise and the several days to really explore Bermuda - no contest, as all you get in the Bahamas is a chance to see several not-as-great beaches and hit a lot of bars.

You are talking about apples and oranges.

Even though they are both islands, they are very different.

Firstly, Bermuda isn't beach weather in October especially late October. Geographically, it is parallel to North Carolina.

Bermuda is a really formal island. You can't just roll up in a restaurant in your sarong and bathing suit. You cannot rent a car. It isn't beachy, tiki vacation.

However, Bermuda is one of the most gorgeous islands I've ever been to. No poverty, no beat up cars, very nice people. Very expensive.

My experience with the main Bahama islands is completely opposite of the above. In the last several years my experience has been with Bimini and the Abacos.

You are talking about apples and oranges.

Even though they are both islands, they are very different.

Firstly, Bermuda isn't beach weather in October especially late October. Geographically, it is parallel to North Carolina.

Bermuda is a really formal island. You can't just roll up in a restaurant in your sarong and bathing suit. You cannot rent a car. It isn't beachy, tiki vacation.

However, Bermuda is one of the most gorgeous islands I've ever been to. No poverty, no beat up cars, very nice people. Very expensive.

My experience with the main Bahama islands is completely opposite of the above. In the last several years my experience has been with Bimini and the Abacos.

I beg to differ with you. All our cruises, and I'm talking double digits, have been to Bermuda in mid to late Oct. and it was always beach weather. I agree with all your other points.:)

The average air temp is 80F and water temp 78F.

http://www.bermudaweather.bm/octall.asp

Edited by iheartbda

I beg to differ with you. All our cruises, and I'm talking double digits, have been to Bermuda in mid to late Oct. and it was always beach weather. I agree with all your other points.:)

The average air temp is 80F and water temp 78F.

http://www.bermudaweather.bm/octall.asp

My family had a home on Bermuda for close to twenty years and I always thought fall was cool. It was always cooler in Bermuda than South Carolina and when I was a teenager I never wanted to go.

True story, Ross Perot was our neighbor and is a really sweet guy!

My family had a home on Bermuda for close to twenty years and I always thought fall was cool. It was always cooler in Bermuda than South Carolina and when I was a teenager I never wanted to go.

True story, Ross Perot was our neighbor and is a really sweet guy!

It could be relative to where one is from and what your used to. Waaaay back when, I went to Bermuda during semester break from college in Feb. I got off the plane and kept saying, "it's warm, it's warm!" There was snow on the ground back home.

Now, I wouldn't go in May. It's not as warm as I would like and the water hasn't warmed up yet.

You've disappeared from the Fashion Board.

Edited by iheartbda

It could be relative to where one is from and what your used to. Waaaay back when, I went to Bermuda during semester break from college in Feb. I got off the plane and kept saying, "it's warm, it's warm!" There was snow on the ground back home.

Now, I wouldn't go in May. It's not as warm as I would like and the water hasn't warmed up yet.

You've disappeared from the Fashion Board.

Yes, I was just thinking the other day I need to visit!

South Carolina by far was much hotter than Bermuda and every island in the Bahamas and Caribbean is hotter than Bermuda! That's why I live in South Florida now :D

BERMUDA BERMDUA BERMUDA!

I am all for Bermuda.

Since the ship is parked there, you will have more than enough time to explore all of Bermuda's attractions without feeling rushed.